Somerleyton Bridge Not Operational

Dear All

Urgent Boating News – The Authority have been informed that Somerleyton swing bridge is currently not operational.

Kind Regards

Laura Milner

Administrative Officer Operations

Broads Authority

Tel: 01603 756035

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734
www.broads-authority.gov.uk

I believe it was a trial for two weekends, not during the week. There was also concern about whether the pump could be sourced in time for the weekend just gone, so not sure if the trial started last weekend, or is planned to start this coming weekend.

I hope they buy a "Summer Pump", I also understand that somewhere near to the bridge there are a number of long steel track sections that have been lying there for many years, if they could find these they would make an ideal base for the pump

Or they could read my earlier post in the other thread about water spraying and give it some serious consideration.

How about a narrow rectangular tank clamped (like a NB skin tank) to the side of the rails with water flowing through cooled by the river via heat exchanger? The heat exchanger doesn't need to be any more technical that a coil of plastic pipe in the river ( like ground source heat pump), no salt water goes near the bridge as it would be a closed system with anti freeze mix, and it would only take a fairly low power pump to circulate it.

Boaters happy

Bridge happy

Low cost

I don't suppose there's any way the inside of the rail could be used like that but why not the outside?

4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Or they could read my earlier post in the other thread about water spraying and give it some serious consideration.

The flexible pipe is available and so are refrigeration units, they are used freeze water for ice rinks, just attach the pipe to the rails and away we go no pollution or requirement for water.

I was thinking about a less energy intensive way seeing as there is a river below topped up by a cold north sea twice a day, seems a shame not to use a resource that's there, they don't need freezing just knock the temp down a bit.

22 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I was thinking about a less energy intensive way seeing as there is a river below topped up by a cold north sea twice a day, seems a shame not to use a resource that's there, they don't need freezing just knock the temp down a bit.

I'm just offering a suggestion to reinforce the point that there are many technical solutions available in the hope that someone (NR)  actually does something  and fixes the bridge because right now it is totally unreliable and unusable.

Not at all daft, MM. Well, not for you, anyway.

I don't think you'd be able to generate enough power to significantly reduce the temperature of steel rail sitting in the direct sunlight, unfortunately. I could be wrong. Anyone able to calculate calorific exchange rates (or whatever)?

Probably a daft question, but why is rail expansion such a problem on the bridge - surely the same applies throughout the rail network? I had heard there were some problems in the latest extreme conditions leading to speed limits being imposed, but not to the extent of shutting lines every other day.

30 minutes ago, High6 said:

Probably a daft question, but why is rail expansion such a problem on the bridge - surely the same applies throughout the rail network? I had heard there were some problems in the latest extreme conditions leading to speed limits being imposed, but not to the extent of shutting lines every other day.

There are not that many opening bridges in the country.

Or how about replacing a length of track leading to the bridge with a slightly shorter section, just in the warmer months. With two expansion gaps I'm sure this could be calculated to take in even the warmest of days.

We could call them 'Summer Rails", maybe even paint the ends white so people knew what they were when laid beside the track in winter.

Oh wait.............

(Why are we trying to re-invent the wheel)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Sorry Steve, I should have put a 'tongue in cheek' emoji (or whatever they're called) on my last post.

LOL

I'd also like to ask Network Rail where the summer rails (that they now seem to know nothing about according to the BA) have gone that were mentioned in the Broom Owners Club visit in 2016

https://broomowners.com/regions/eastern-region/eastern-region-events/825-visit-to-somerleyton-bridge

Or are we to believe that the people on the visit just made that bit up to make Network Rail look bad?

50 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Interesting article. So it's all the EA's fault !

It's 'Network Rails' fault, for not keeping the bridge in working order.

It's the 'Environment agencies' fault, for not allowing cooling water, because of oil pollution fears.

It's the 'Broads Authorities' fault, for not insisting the 'right of navigation' is upheld.

And they're all a government created company/agency/authority. Perhaps, the fault is at the root of the problem and not the branches. Maybe, it's time to go after the people with 'shiney @r$ed' trousers... :10_wink:

5 minutes ago, kingfisher666 said:

And they're all a government created company/agency/authority. Perhaps, the fault is at the root of the problem and not the branches. Maybe, it's time to go after the people with 'shiney @r$ed' trousers

Agreed, but whose "shiney @r$ed trousers" should we be going after?