• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• calender payment

Calendar Paymene

Delivery Options
    Your NBN Forum Username:

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Chelsea14Ian

Food On The Broads

Totally agree Breydon. Has anyone tried to buy a ham or beef sandwich in a pub recently? I like a traditional sandwich with a little garnish if travelling. I don't want half a metre of bagette and a bucket of chips.

• Like 1

I find carveries the very worst of pub food.  The sight of people piling food on their (and worst of all their children's) plates  destroys my appetite, and the amount of waste is appalling. 

We had a lovely meal at a Harvester in Swindon during Regatta week, and whilst not what I would call 'cheap' - £90 for 2x sea bass and prawns with chilli, a cheeseburger, 2 desserts, a bottle of wine, 1 liqueur, 2 coffees  and unlimited soft drink, I thought it was reasonable.  There was a very well stocked salad bar and my only criticism was that the majority of dishes on the menu had some sort of chilli seasoning, although ours were very mild.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kadensa said:

I find carveries the very worst of pub food.  The sight of people piling food on their (and worst of all their children's) plates  destroys my appetite, and the amount of waste is appalling.

I agree completely

Its a shame that the Broads pubs and indeed many other pubs around the country do not do simple small meals. Personally, I rarely eat in pubs as the portions are in my eyes enormous. I would be paying quite a bit of money for food that would be wasted as I could not eat it all.

I used to use a little pub (The Wheatsheaf) in Borough Market, London years ago and their doorstep bloomer BLT sandwiches went down like hotcakes and they did a roaring trade at lunchtimes with them. Also their bacon and mushroom bloomer sandwiches were just as popular. Another one was the sausage sarnies using excellent sossies bought in the market went down a treat. However I recollect that a riverside pub in Norwich did do these doorstep sarnies about three years ago.  

Even if you can find a pub that sells that sort of fare it usually comes with an enormous pile of chips which would be paid for but not eaten by me.

Try the pub at the Waveney River Centre. Pretty certain most of their menu can be ordered small, medium or large.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Thanks 1

I'm another that can say that in recent years I've not had a bad meal on the Broads. Including takeaways, the quality of food has always been outstanding. My favourite haunts include the Greyhound at Hickling, the Indian Restaurant at Stalham and of course the superlative Wayford Bridge Inn.

Frances, (my sister) treated me to a meal at the Mermaid's Slipper Stalham staithe. Open wallet surgery but wonderful food.

We really like The Wherryman in Wroxham. Excellent food and service every time and not pricey. 

• Like 1

I must admit, I'm a bit of a 'slow coach' on a boat, but thirty or forty minutes from Wroxham, would get me to "Dydlers Mill" at a push. Nice place to stop for dinner though, I wonder if they could rustle me up, some 'bangers & mash' (with fried onions)... :10_wink:

I was down here a few weeks ago on holiday from sunny Yorkshire and amongst other pubs we visited the Maltsters at Ranworth and had an excellent meal. Hope this helps someone

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I must be the sad one then.

Nothing I like better than knocking out a home made meal for the Mrs and watch the world flow by.

I'm not tight in the wallet but the hassle of finding a mooring somewhere near or to stop moving by 2 pm can wear thin.

But I do like grabbing a takeaway, mainly chips from Beccles a right pleasure.

• Like 3

Cheese 69 Welcome to the forum .Don't forget you can book a moorings and table in pubs. 

As for us sadly going home tommrow. We have had some good food in the past two weeks.Tonight we are at the Ferry house Surlingham.Always enjoy it there.The point I made at the start of this thread is have seen a trend of fast food in pubs,each to there own.Just hope it's balanced. 

Ian

It is strange that "the Dog" at Ludham Bridge in Johnson Street is not mentioned too much on this forum. There are many excellent moorings both sides of the river but never too much chat on here about the pub. I have eaten there on occasion and the food has been excellent and the publican keeps some excellent local beers along with the usual fizz and spirits etc. if anybody wants it and the prices are quite competitive too.

• Like 1

Sadly not been there for about Three years, some pubs we go to all the time others for one reason on other miss  out on. Only been to Coldham hall once this year,and yet it's just across the river from us.Waters edge again near to us and yet not been there for about two years

On 09/09/2018 at 19:14, Matt said:

Try the pub at the Waveney River Centre. Pretty certain most of their menu can be ordered small, medium or large.

There is a similar option of small in the ferryhouse on a lot of the meals, the normal portions are usually pretty big.

• Like 1