Another One Bites The Dust

ChrisB

Sad to hear there will be no Beale Park Show this year and that there are no plans to try to to save it in the future.

I always considered it "The Show" for the small boat sailor, lovers of wooden craft and beautiful workmanship.

It was a "Must" for us when we lived in The Chilterns, a wonderful day out in a beautiful setting.

• Like 1

Another event not taking place in 2019 is Great Yarmouth Airshow. There's apparently a chance of some other flying displays but the event lost a lot of money. I do know that one of the park and ride locations was so appalling that people were claiming a lot of money in compensation for damage to their cars - one of my friends got a payout of £700. Shame as we would have gone along again.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2018-09-28/great-yarmouth-airshow-cancelled-after-huge-losses/

We, as a society, really do need to start looking at the value of these things rather than the cost. 

A decent events takings can be the difference between staying in business or not for some seaside establishments and b&b's. Those businesses pay rates and employ people. 

The Beale boat show may not have sold many boats on site but it did encourage people to try boating, some of whom will have gone on to buy a secondhand boat elsewhere meaning a new boat was still sold but to someone further up the food chain. 

Take a look at Beccles. There is something going on almost every weekend from Easter onwards, many events not profitable, but purely aimed at bringing people, and money, into the town. There are no rows of empty shops and Beccles has attracted some big name stores  as well. 

You have to see the value in these things.

• Like 10

Like many Broadland villages, towns (and city), Beccles has changed a bit over the years, some changes for the good and some not so. One thing that hasn't changed is it's inherent friendliness, something I first noticed in the sixties, as a teen and still think it holds true today. I always look forward to mooring at, or just visiting, Beccles a lovely town with lovely people. :12_slight_smile:

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Beccles is probably the loveliest town in Broadland, it also has a huge catchment area feeding its shopping centre. Thanks to Tesco it also has an excellent, free car park in the town centre. A lot going for Beccles.

Hear hear! I always enjoy a visit to Beccles

11 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Take a look at Beccles. There is something going on almost every weekend from Easter onwards, many events not profitable, but purely aimed at bringing people, and money, into the town. There are no rows of empty shops and Beccles has attracted some big name stores  as well. 

Someone has certainly got it right where the town is concerned, from what I can remember even parking fees are not prohibitive like some other places.