March Reflection

SwanR

It was indeed the Sutton Staithe Hotel where we had a very nice lunch today having completed my few days of “no cooking allowed”!

Can highly recommend the scampi and chips which they let us have as 2 for £12 under their Friday fish and chips deal. 

D227A082-8A44-46D8-A308-D3E192A83D8C.jpeg

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Seagypsy said:

Home now no internet connection last night moored at paddy's lane nice meeting you enjoy your last night.

Glad to hear you’re home safe. I’ll look forward to hearing when you’re back out again in May. :default_icon_wave:

So day 4 went something like this. 

Filled up with water at Womack Water this morning ... because we could! No one else had arrived so we left the public part of the moorings empty and headed for Potter Heigham. I like the Thurne and wanted to take a look while there were no fishermen and no other boats around. 

Headed back up the Bure to the Ant, easily through Ludham Bridge and then onto How Hill for a coffee stop. 

The day stayed grey and chilly and a bit breezy throughout so my photos and video clips may not look that inspiring when I get home and load them up. Carried on to Sutton for our lunch stop. Then took a cruise up to Wayford Bridge before coming back down to Paddy’s Lane for our last overnight mooring. And yes, we’re the only ones here!

We will be taking Swan Reflection back to the yard tomorrow morning before driving home. But I will be adding some further thoughts over the weekend once I’m back posting from something other than my phone!!

EBA79EE0-DA95-4DEF-B415-ABF76D5D2F6F.jpeg

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, SwanR said:

It was indeed the Sutton Staithe Hotel where we had a very nice lunch today having completed my few days of “no cooking allowed”!

Can highly recommend the scampi and chips which they let us have as 2 for £12 under their Friday fish and chips deal. 

I was visiting a forum member for the first time in Sutton Staithe marina around lunchtime, would of been good to meet another, oh well there`s always another day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

I was visiting a forum member for the first time in Sutton Staithe marina around lunchtime, would of been good to meet another, oh well there`s always another day.

I hadn’t met any forum members in person until this week when Seagypsy was kind enough to seek me out at the New Inn. It was wonderful to chat with him and his good lady. 

What a day it has been as another forumite snapped me coming into moor at How Hill and now it seems we may have also been almost same place same time!

The interaction here on the forum through my few days afloat has all been part of the fun. Hubby and I would be only too happy for anyone who sees us to say hello. 

• Like 5

Well, to complete the 'small world' as I guessed correctly, I too was at Sutton Staithe being visited by Pumpmedic, also my first meeting with a forum member :default_smile:

A great pleasure it was as well, thanks for your visit Pumpmedic, a genuine pleasure to meet you.

Maybe next time we'll be lucky enough to catch you, SwanR, as well :default_beerchug:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ray said:

Well, to complete the 'small world' as I guessed correctly, I too was at Sutton Staithe being visited by Pumpmedic, also my first meeting with a forum member :default_smile:

A great pleasure it was as well, thanks for your visit Pumpmedic, a genuine pleasure to meet you.

Maybe next time we'll be lucky enough to catch you, SwanR, as well :default_beerchug:

Didn`t feel it was my place to name names mate. The pleasure was all mine to view such a cracking boat and to meet you as I just said elsewhere.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SwanR said:

Looks a nice healthy meal Jean.    Good for you, take no notice of these darn do gooders.   I believe in a little bit of what you fancy does you good,   and no chaps that does not include the barmaid at the local.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ray said:

Pumpmedic ,  nice chap.     As you say it is good to put faces to names.

• Like 2

Just catching up on your week Jean. Love the photos, it looks idyllic...lovely and quiet!  Glad to see that you had some sun and that the rain and wind have keep away.  Glad to see also that you managed to moor at Irstead for the first time, that is a lovely mooring. 

I've been mulling over the possibility of booking a boat the for Easter week.  Besides wondering if we can afford it, there are lots of overdue DIY jobs waiting to be done.  I can dream though.  It'll probably be pretty busy over Easter too.  NDB seem to have most of their boats out, Ferry Marina though still seem to have a fair number of boats available.  

Looking forward to hearing the rest of your reflections on your week.

Helen

• Like 1

Home again ... we hadn't been on the road for long this morning when I wished that I was out of the traffic and back on the boat! And it always seems so funny that in ten minutes you drive along from Stalham, past Sutton and on through Potter Heigham whereas we all know how long that journey is by boat!

Anyway ... time for some Reflections on Reflection ...

The Boat - Swan Reflection is still a great boat to hire. Compact at 31 feet it is a little tight for space on board but ideal for a couple especially if you haven't got much experience. Plus it warms up quickly once you get the heating on. Great to steer - you can set the revs, set the steering and it will go in a straight line for as long as you need until you reach the next bend in the river. Comfortable bed, the seating has been re-upholstered at some point, decent size fridge and ice box plus a gas cooker as well as a microwave. Electric flushing toilet which does use a fair amount of water but is a nice little luxury! I would always highly recommend this boat.

The Yard - We had only hired from Richardson's once before and that was at a busier time. It still feels like a holiday camp kind of check-in to me but the system works well. The staff were all very friendly and the young lad who did our handover and refuelled us this morning, was great. He asked how our week had been, asked if there were any problems with the boat and wished us a safe journey home. That counts for a lot with me and we would definitely go back.

The Food - Always a highlight of my holiday because we don't eat out much at home and it's a treat not to be cooking. The Sutton Staithe Hotel was first class, Bridgestone's Tea Rooms in Potter Heigham was excellent, the New Inn was great value and good food as always. The Swan Inn was my least favourite, good service but overpriced and not as good food as everywhere else. That's just my personal opinion based on the meals we had on the days we dined in each of these establishments. Incidentally the Staithe & Willow in Horning was closed and looks to me as if it has just been sold from something I saw on a property website.

The Wildlife - there was a lot of life in the wildlife ... if you know what I mean. Plenty of birds flying around in pairs. ;) But what a delight to see an otter and to see a good number of kingfishers around Irstead. Plus the sound of the owls in the trees after dark was amazing ... I don't get that living here in the city.

The Firsts - I always like to try to tick some items off my "still to do" list. This week we moored at Irstead, we went right down Lime Kiln Dyke, and we moored on the public staithe in Horning. That was good enough for me.

All About March - Finally my thoughts on hiring in March as this was only the second time that we have been out this early in the season. Don't forget that even if it is going to be mild for the time of year, you are not at home in your double glazed centrally heated house. So for me it is always going to be cold and my thermals were required every day! We had one sunny day, the rest was overcast and grey but it was dry although the breeze picked up on our last day. No bright sunny frosty mornings but I'll take that over wind and rain and ice. But best of all was the ability to choose where to moor at any time of day and be almost certain you wouldn't have any problems. We were completely on our own overnight at Irstead, Womack Water and Paddy's Lane. And it would have been a full set if someone else hadn't turned up when it was getting dark at Cockshoot Broad.

The photos through the week were from my phone so below are just a few off my camera. There will be a video as soon as I get time to put things together. 

P1030458.jpeg

P1030486.jpeg

P1030502.jpeg

P1030504.jpeg

P1030507.jpeg

P1030514.jpeg

P1030557.jpeg

P1030599.jpg

• Like 15

Thank you Jean.   Really interesting to read and good insight as to a boating holiday in March.      Glad I am not the only one who wears thermals if on a boat.       Wise move.       So pleased to hear that the wildlife is getting on with what they do in the Spring.  Lots of little ones to look forward to seeing shortly.    

• Like 2

We've been looking at possible boats for the same kind of time next year. Or wondering whether to look at end of April after the Easter break in 2020. Even October can be busy at the most popular places. Might consider early November but it looks as if you would have to contact boat yards directly for availability as most don't extend online booking past half term at the end of October ... and I'm definitely not going that week!!

• Like 3

Try December Jean, we've had some cracking weather last few years. 

Bridgecraft are more accommodating than most, always worth a bell. Don't forget Herby Woods, hire every month bar December and January. Although I keep pumping them about December! 

We had a superb week in February too. 

PS if you have a deep purse Faircraft Loynes hire all year round 

• Like 3