Copd And Me

Chelsea14Ian

What is COPD? Its Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. 

Can I catch it? No. Can it kill me? Yes.

Can I manage it? To a degree yes.

How did I get it? Late November 2015 after a number of heavy colds ,I went to hospital and was admitted and had pneumonia .I was on oxygen 24/7,only coming off oxygen to go to the loo.After which it would  take me about  ten minutes to recover. After a series of tests and treatment I went home five days later.For the next week I was also on oxygen, at first constantly then reducing my  dependency. 

COPD in my case was due to the fact that a I was a heavy smoker. I gave up in 2015.COPD affects those with severe Asthma or Bronchitis. Also miners can also suffer. 

How do I manage it? Day to day I have three puffers,one  take twice a day,one once a day and one up to four days a day if required. I get my breathing checked once a year.Thankfully it seems to be fair not getting any worse.I also have with me Antibiotics and steroids .I am aware of the signs of  chest infections so can self medicate. Last year was good only had one mild chest infection. 

How does it affect my life?Not that I would, but wouldn't be able to run the marathon. Even walking fast can make me breathless.Can and di work in quite a hard trade as a Chef often working harder then those half my age.Each year I have the flu jab, at present  am okay. This is a serious disease, there are four stages to COPD.1 being the mild stage through to 4 which can lead to death. 

To make it clear I did not do the post to make people feel sorry for me,but there is a lack of understanding of the disease. People often say to me  your okay aren't you?Yes but I can't run or even walk quickly.Just imagine running as fast as you can for example 100 yards then taking ten minutes to get your breath back.

I am okay as I said not out for anyone to feel sorry for me.Just a understanding of the disease. So if anyone says what's COPD?hopefully this post may help.

Ian.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Sadly I know about COPD, Dad (83)  is in hospital again with it now, 6 times last year. He can now only walk a few paces without assistance. He too was a smoker after the doctors put him back on to smoking back in the early 60's..

Look after youself..

• Like 1

My Dad also has COPD.

He is 73 this month and his breathing and number of times he gets a chest infection is gradually getting worse.

He often comes out with me on the boat but he now avoids it when it’s cold and damp as it does not help his condition.

Hoping some good spring warm and dry weather will be with us soon so he can again enjoy some boating on the Broads.

Wishing everyone who has COPD all the best for many more healthy days than down days.

• Thanks 1

My Mum suffers with COPD, she has an inhaler to take morning and night with a 2nd one for as and when needed.

She does still smoke and has become to believe she would be far worse with the stress of giving up now she's in her 70's, I know I know what you're going to say but no talking to her will convince her, I wouldn't say she was a heavy smoker but even a couple a day to too many.

I found it very helpful to read your post Ian. COPD is something I have read about but not entirely understood what it actually is, not knowing anyone with it. Not a nice thing to have to live with but I’m glad you manage to keep yours under control and that you are able to enjoy your times on the boat. Thank you for posting. 

• Like 2

I too avoid the boat when it's to cold and damp.

I understand about smoking until I gave up I smoked 40 plus a day,and enjoyed it.I was lucky. Never thought  I would  give up,but used with the nurse at our medical centre patches did the job.

I'm pleased my post as enlighted people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Chelsea - you keep as well as you can and hopefully this darn virus will start to ease.   It is such a worry.     It makes you worried to go out of the door.   When I do go out I dare not cough.    Had my cough for 5 years this year.   Never smoked in my life but parents did.  I am in my mid 70s.

I think you need a pat on your back,  holding down a full time job as you do.   Well done.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chelsea14Ian said:

I too avoid the boat when it's to cold and damp.

I understand about smoking until I gave up I smoked 40 plus a day,and enjoyed it.I was lucky. Never thought  I would  give up,but used with the nurse at our medical centre patches did the job.

I'm pleased my post as enlighted people. 

Bronchiectasis is another condition similar to COPD and effects many people, indeed as with the latter many people have the condition but have not been diagnosed. 

The coronavirus is of great concern and will lead to a serious exacerbation amongst COPD sufferers.

Fumes, petrol or deisel is another matter and to those who suffer from respiratory issues can and will find that prolonged exposure to this pollution may give rise to further complications.

The running of engines for periods of time, whilst moored, has far reaching implications for many over and above noise pollution, to those in close proximity to the fumes.

In the fullness of time action by the authorities will have to be taken.

Perhaps this year would be a good time to start.

Andrew

Andrew

• Thanks 1

As I said COPD affects those with Asthma, bronchitis, ex smoking, miners etc.. Indeed  Coronavirus is a problem  to those of us that have COPD and or breathing problems .I dont unduly worry about it but try to stay as fit as I can.

As I've said many times before we hope to move to Norfolk next year,which hopefully less pollution. 

Thanks for posting about this, I admit to knowing very little about the condition until I read your post.

I believe there are a number of health conditions that everyone would benefit from knowing more about, sufferers so they could receive a little more understanding and everyone else in being thoughtful in the things we do and say that unknowingly could have a strong negative impact.

Well done 👍

• Thanks 1

If you have not done so already you must give up smoking.

Go to your doctor and get signed up for pulmonary rehabilitation at your local hospital.

A six to eight week course. A one hundred percent commitment is required.

You will then be considered to be referred to a local gymnasium that specializes in people of your age group, capability, and suffer from COPD, episodes of chronic bronchitis,  bronchiectasis and other respiratory conditions.

You will be offered an emergency pack of antibiotics and steroids.

You will not be alone.

Andrew

• Thanks 4

Many years ago I managed a medical chest ward. We cared for many patients with COPD. I remember those in the most advanced stages had thrombocytopaenia - too many red blood cells - and had to be bled on a regular basis. What amazed me then - and now - was the number that within an hour of having been bled were sat on the verandah of the ward smoking.

Nothing so ***** as folk, as my grandmother used to say. 

Take care and don't smoke.

Chris

As I said I was a heavy smoker,40 plus.I never thought I would give up.On a trip to Canada I could not smoke for about 15 hours.I lost the will to life and would give anything for a smoke.What changed for me was during 2005,I felt rough and money was  not good.Thats when I decided to give up.I talked through all the methods and picked patches.At the time I was working at Abbey Road,we agreed I would give up on 3 November 2005.That day because I was on stand by, because Stevie Wonder was in the studio.I got home gone midnight so I smoked until the next day.I got home at 11.30.I had six cigs, smoked five before midnight.broke the last one washed the ashtray.Went to bed.Next day Before I had a wash put a patch on and have never smoked since.The important thing is you need make your own mind up to stop, which I did it was my wish to do so.Think my COPD would be worse if I carried on

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1