Arthur Ransome Fans.

ChrisB

The Dambusters was on a couple of days ago, Sony Movies I think, complete with the warning that "this film contains language pertinent to the time of production but which some viewers may find offensive today"

I'm surprised they haven't over dubbed it yet.

Back to the 1974 film, if I may. Captain John was a Sussex lad, sailed at Bosham Sailing Club if I remember correctly. At that time I was a sailing instructor based at Bosham. Swallow was a lugsail dinghy and apparently there were problems both in rigging and sailing her. Someone mentioned that yours truly was a Broads sailor and that lug dinghies were, at that time, as common as muck on the Broads. I was pleased to help, my 15 seconds of fame that no one noticed! 

• Like 4

Re lugsail dinghies, back in the 1960/70's there were hundreds of them on the Broads, simple sailing dinghies, towed behind hire cruisers and enjoyed by thousands of holiday makers. Great fun, they added to the adventure, but they were a pain in the transom to the hire yards and that fact lead to their demise. Indeed I now wonder if any are available for hire.

But all is not lost, you can still have your Broads based Swallows & Amazons moment, with the added security of a keel to keep you upright. The Hunter Yard has the answer, and they are delightful to sail:

https://www.huntersyard.co.uk/our-boats/half-deckers/balanced-lug-sails/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Re lugsail dinghies, back in the 1960/70's there were hundreds of them on the Broads, simple sailing dinghies...

The first time I stayed with my family in Repps (late 1960s / early 1970s?) we hired such a lugsail dingh from Martham Boat Dev co.

We didn't have too much success with it.  On the last day a neighbour took us for a short sail in a Marthem half-decker (also a lug sail) and that was better - gave us the courage to hire a proper half-decker the following year.

I have the whole set of books - most in the Jonathan Cape hardbacks, a few as paperbacks.

The very first one I read was Coot Club - found in the small library at junior school when I was 10...

• Like 3