Will Engines By Ok

As to these Boats being Laid up for some time now and be on the move soon once again will the Pistons in the Engines be alright as the Oil is all down in the Sump . Can it just be turned over a few times to get the Oil circulating in to the Tappets and Pistons. As for Diesel's  in the Jets won't  Clog up? 

have you ever seen the sitting in a field for 30 years, put a new battery on and clean fuel and it starts right up type of video?

to be honest the engine is in exactly the same state as it would be after a few weeks of not being started, unless there is an underlying issue anyway like a leaky head gasket that has allowed water into the bore, there should not be an issue, If you are that bothered check the oil level before you start it and if low put some fresh in, this will go into the top end of the engine and percolate down. either that or before winter use one of those additives that coat the moving parts.

The 7 day a week movement of the hire fleets, must keep areas like above Wroxham bridge trimmed.

For boats that have not moved for many months impellers not turned and the compression on one or two blades could be an issue, as could crustaceans in the intakes in badly effected area. Outboards left down will be particularly effected.

With boats at their moorings in marinas plugged in, not moving, some may find on lifting that their anodes have taken a bashing. Again those with outboard power, left down, tilt the leg and check those anodes.

I wouldn't be too concerned over any mechanical issues for now, if they were left for a year or more there may be issues with seals drying out and causing fuel / oil leaks / impellors etc.  As mentioned batteries could be an issue along with condensation in fuel tanks that were not left full.

Nothing that a good service wouldn't rectify.

I remember my last boat St Christopher. I'd left the engine un-started for quite a period while the boat was out of the water. It took 10 minutes to start it, mainly owing to battery issues. but it did start. It had not run for 12 years!

As for boats being left IN the water for some months, as has already been suggested, I would keep a keen eye on the temperature in case freshwater mussels have incrusted thee intake. Freshly cut weeds might cause problems too, just keep an eye on the temp. 

I went right up to the lock the other day - no particular issues. Certainly no more weed growth than normal.  I did check the filter out of habit but nothing special i.e not a lot really!!! However it is due for its first trim I believe!!

However mussels might be a problem - chatting down the yard (at a distance of course! ) and the other day they took 5 barrow loads of zebras off a 27 footer!!!! Mind you, it had not been out for a long long time!!

Hi Andrew Just make sure that the battery is fully charged do your oil,coolant and belt check, drain water from bottom of fuel tank via drain,and turn on raw water valve after replacing filter, then turn it over with stop engaged this will pump oil around until oil light/pressure gauge shows pressure then check that belts are ok if all is well, start up and leave on tick-over for a few minuets then if all is well increase rev's to 12/1500 all the while checking engine for leaks etc if all is well run for 1/2 hour checking water temp etc,  you may find that your ignition light stay on if so wait until oil pressure has built up then give a blip on throttle to 1500rev then if light goes out carry on as suggested, if you are very concerned about your engine, you could remove air cleaner and squirt some RedEx into air intake as you turn engine over with stop engaged, this will prelube your bore and rings, replace air filter and carry on as suggested, you my find that one of the impel-er blades brakes of in raw water pump but other wise you should be ok providing you have servicing up to date along with GOOD quality oil in sump, DO NOT TRY AND TURN engine over if battery is low you will damage the starter moter, best of luck . John

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Sorry but this doesn`t make sense to me, how can the starter motor could be damaged or is there a difference between say an old BMC and newer engines?

I have done it on a tractor. When the voltage is low you can still pull one hell of a current and I fused/welded the solenoid up. Very expensive mistake as it was all integral. If you think your cranking battery is low put a jump on it. But make sure it is working in isolation.

13 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I have done it on a tractor. When the voltage is low you can still pull one hell of a current and I fused/welded the solenoid up. Very expensive mistake as it was all integral. If you think your cranking battery is low put a jump on it. But make sure it is working in isolation.

Well aware of the high current required however I have only experianced the dreaded click, click sound of it trying hence the question.

I know what you mean, this was an old Massey and it just did a clunk and I kept the button in and the start position on the gear lever. I thought it might have just stuck, as it often did but then came a hot smell. Oops.

Why on earth should there be weed issues? I can see no evidence that weed growth has changed over lockdown? Do weeds read newspapers?
I'm seeing a lot more lilies than last year around the moorings here in Brundall. Rather than them being cut up on a daily basis by boats moving.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 2

Yes I agree about the lilies but lilies only grow in clean water so thats a good sign. Mostly we see the yellow ones on the bigger rivers but we are also beginning to see the white ones too in the upper reaches of rivers - and they like cleaner water still i believe!

Stiil not had any issue with those up my filter - perhps they are too big!

20 hours ago, marshman said:

Yes I agree about the lilies but lilies only grow in clean water so thats a good sign. Mostly we see the yellow ones on the bigger rivers but we are also beginning to see the white ones too in the upper reaches of rivers - and they like cleaner water still i believe!

Stiil not had any issue with those up my filter - perhps they are too big!

Maybe I'm paranoid about them because when we had Cockatoo serviced we did a river trial and then it was lifted out one of the raw water inlets was blocked by a lily pad which must've happened while we were coming in as the engine temps had been closely monitored throughout the trial.

Thats interesting as I find the stringy filament ones the worst of the lot! The other time when it can be bad is just after they have been cutting a the surface is covered in bits - thats also a time to watch out. Its just a case I think of checking every now and again but I am surprised you got a whole lily leaf up it!

I think you can fit a grill of sorts over the intake if you are concerned.

On 15/06/2020 at 20:45, marshman said:

Thats interesting as I find the stringy filament ones the worst of the lot! The other time when it can be bad is just after they have been cutting a the surface is covered in bits - thats also a time to watch out. Its just a case I think of checking every now and again but I am surprised you got a whole lily leaf up it!

I think you can fit a grill of sorts over the intake if you are concerned.

It was just jammed in the intake. :(

(and my last post should have said surveyed not serviced)