Acle Moorings

Cheesey69

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies "We can't multiply, we're adders" – so Noah builds them a log table. :default_laugh:

Exactly.  I presume youngsters don't know what log tables are (or slide rules...).

20 minutes ago, HEM said:

Exactly.  I presume youngsters don't know what log tables are (or slide rules...).

I learnt about them and had a slide rule, along with sines, cosines tangents and a load of other stuff that I really can’t remember using in the real world.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I learnt about them and had a slide rule, along with sines, cosines tangents and a load of other stuff that I really can’t remember using in the real world.

I think the last time I used them was during "A" Level Maths exam in 1970.

On 15/07/2020 at 22:49, Broads01 said:

The Companies House link shows the Limited Company is dissolved. They hadn't been around long and I was hoping they could make a good business of it. 

They'd even made a bid for the old Alpha yard in Brundall and tried crowdfunding the money to lease it from NYA (who bought it when Alpha ceased trading). They had grand plans to actually start building their own boats but sadly it appears that they couldn't attract any investment. I saw their Aquafibre 42 (Rockland) pop up on NYA and was hoping they were updating their fleet, so it's sad to see they've dissolved. That said, if I had £30k burning a hole in my pocket I might be off to do something very silly!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaceSwinger said:

They had grand plans to actually start building their own boats but sadly it appears that they couldn't attract any investment.

I remember the manner of some of their postings on facebook etc., not conducive to attracting support, financial or otherwise, in my honest opinion. If there were money to be made there then Norfolk's big boys would have grabbed it, that they didn't speaks volumes.

5 hours ago, MaceSwinger said:

They'd even made a bid for the old Alpha yard in Brundall and tried crowdfunding the money to lease it from NYA

Crowdfunding the money doesn’t sound like a sound investment. Or am I being a bit cynical?

Just now, YnysMon said:

Crowdfunding the money doesn’t sound like a sound investment. Or am I being a bit cynical?

Not at all, I found their page on gofundme or the like, and it was clear they hadn't even proof read it which doesn't send the best message. I wasn't surprised that it seemed they hadn't garnered any support whatsoever. It's a shame, because from what I could see they actually made a bit of effort with the interior of their boats, old as they may have been. 

The other thing that sprang to mind is where they'd have been getting their moulds from. As I recall all of Alpha's tooling was snapped up fairly quickly. 

Sprucing up did not seem to include the apparent "hand" signwriting of the names!!! Always looked like a bit of an afterthought - indeed the whole running of the company seemed a bit like that!

Strange really as if I recall correctly, they sold a business in the Lakes to start BBC.