Acle Moorings

Cheesey69

Hi all. 
Pretty soon me and the Enemy are going to head towards Acle for the first time as a privateer. 
Way back when there was plenty of mooring spaces both sides of the river. 
I know BA are working on the area that was the shop but how is the other bank for mooring non hire tub?

yours peeringly at the map. Cheesey

There are moorings that used to be Horizon Crafts, but now belong to Pedros.  Last year they were charging £10 for an overnight stay, partially redeemable against food at the restaurant.  There is also a stretch of moorings between Acle Dyke and the pub on the port side heading from Stokesby.  Again, there is a fee, but they look well maintained and will be quoted due to being further from the road.

There are a few BA moorings available, though the majority are taped off. Plenty of room on the Pedro’s side. The basin that Broads Boating Company operated from looks empty too, but I’m not sure if you are allowed to moor there.

If you are canny, you can wild moor between the Pedro’s moorings and the sailing club hut and save yourself a mooring fee. It’s a bit more overgrown than it was last summer, but still doable. We checked it out last week.We opted to moor on the Pedro’s moorings as we were planning to eat there, and so got our mooring fee taken off the bill. Lovely meal it was too.

18 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

If you are canny, you can wild moor between the Pedro’s moorings and the sailing club hut and save yourself a mooring fee. It’s a bit more overgrown than it was last summer, but still doable.

I've overnighted a there a few times over the years and fished from first light until the boats start moving and always caught plenty legering with a swim feeder. Mainly roach and bream. The bream usually up to 3lb.

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

There are a few BA moorings available, though the majority are taped off. Plenty of room on the Pedro’s side. The basin that Broads Boating Company operated from looks empty too, but I’m not sure if you are allowed to moor there.

If you are canny, you can wild moor between the Pedro’s moorings and the sailing club hut and save yourself a mooring fee. It’s a bit more overgrown than it was last summer, but still doable. We checked it out last week.We opted to moor on the Pedro’s moorings as we were planning to eat there, and so got our mooring fee taken off the bill. Lovely meal it was too.

You can moor in the Pedro's marina (formerly Broads Boating Company / Horizoncraft) for £10 with a discount off the food bill if you book a meal

My brother moored their last week

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Have Broads Boating Company ceased hiring? 

Well it looks like they have. There was one boat there last week, a bit different to last year, when there were several boats in the basin.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Have Broads Boating Company ceased hiring? 

Web site up and running but booking link to Airbnb fails.

See also https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10369550.

I noticed a subtle change when passing that the restaurant  was calling itself Pedro's of Acle (or something similar).

Fred

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tempest said:

You can moor in the Pedro's marina (formerly Broads Boating Company / Horizoncraft) for £10 with a discount off the food bill if you book a meal

My brother moored their last week

We tend to moor in the basin there if we are eating at Pedro's. It is a lot more sheltered from the wind in the basin.

A lot of people tend to misjudge the entrance to the basin when the tide is running.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Well it looks like they have. There was one boat there last week, a bit different to last year, when there were several boats in the basin.

I believe so.  I’ve seen the boat in the basin advertised somewhere, although I can’t remember where just now and most of the others have either been sold or under brokerage at NYA, Horning.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I believe so.  I’ve seen the boat in the basin advertised somewhere, although I can’t remember where just now and most of the others have either been sold or under brokerage at NYA, Horning.

I vaguely remember that a number of the BBC boats belonged to Richardsons who, presumably, will have taken back their property. 

6 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I vaguely remember that a number of the BBC boats belonged to Richardsons who, presumably, will have taken back their property. 

Here’s one:

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/bounty-44/

and another:

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/aquafibre-42-4/

and another:

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/alpha-craft-42/638469

Not opposite the Bridge Inn, but yes above the bridge. The majority of the BA moorings on the north bank upstream from the bridge are taped off at present, as they are carrying out works to install electric posts. If you are arriving late then the Pedro’s owned moorings on the opposite bank are probably your best bet. (£10 fee though.) If they are all full (as they were when we arrived in Acle around 6pm during the last week of August last year), don’t panic. There are several spots suitable for wild mooring just beyond the formal moorings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Not opposite the Bridge Inn, but yes above the bridge. The majority of the BA moorings on the north bank upstream from the bridge are taped off at present, as they are carrying out works to install electric posts. If you are arriving late then the Pedro’s owned moorings on the opposite bank are probably your best bet. (£10 fee though.) If they are all full (as they were when we arrived in Acle around 6pm during the last week of August last year), don’t panic. There are several spots suitable for wild mooring just beyond the formal moorings. 

Thankyou YnysMon, really appreciate the tips. Are the wild moorings (and Pedro's moorings) on the Pedro's side of the river, I can't quite get my bearings exactly where you mean (sorry). Thanks again.

14 hours ago, trambo said:

Web site up and running but booking link to Airbnb fails.

See also https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10369550.

I noticed a subtle change when passing that the restaurant  was calling itself Pedro's of Acle (or something similar).

Fred

The Companies House link shows the Limited Company is dissolved. They hadn't been around long and I was hoping they could make a good business of it. 

44 minutes ago, simonwootton said:

Thankyou YnysMon, really appreciate the tips. Are the wild moorings (and Pedro's moorings) on the Pedro's side of the river, I can't quite get my bearings exactly where you mean (sorry). Thanks again.

Yes they are on the left hand side, under the bridge and past the boatyards going upstream with the wild moorings about c150 yards upstream on the same side,

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, simonwootton said:

Yes Indeed. The Pedro's moorings are quite lengthy and tend to be second choice for most folk who prefer to be close to The Bridge Inn (I actually prefer to moor at Pedro's and walk to the Bridge). The wild moorings start as Pedro's mooring posts finish. You'll sometimes hear people say "Acle was full" when in reality there's always space at least on the wild bit and it's still a pleasant walk to the pub. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, webntweb said:

Didn't there used to be a sign at the start of the wild moorings "beware of Adders" or would that have been a Norfolkism for "Keep off my Property"

Us locals believe in giving the grockles fair warning before our pet adders do as they have been trained to do!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Us locals believe in giving the grockles fair warning before our pet adders do as they have been trained to do!

Which reminds me of the joke our maths teacher used to tell at school about Noah & adders...

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Which reminds me of the joke our maths teacher used to tell at school about Noah & adders...

When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies "We can't multiply, we're adders" – so Noah builds them a log table. :default_laugh:

• Haha 2