Hardley Cross

Bluesman54

If there were an electric marsh pump house at Hardley Mill, which I think there may be, then it might be possible to tap something off that supply.

Actually I consider places like Hardley and Rockland Short Dyke as wild moorings. They may have a made up quay or a pontoon but they are out in the middle of the tranquil marshes of what Timbo would call the Great Estuary  :default_gbxhmm:  and I don't think one should - or could - expect services of shore power or fresh water out there in the meadows.

As a hire boat operator I know that boats can be fitted for the supply of medical aids such as oxygen, without need of shore power, provided you give the boatyard prior warning of your special needs, before you arrive. I have done that many times for customers.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

Could they not charge more at the point of outlet to the consumer and so cover costs that way? i.e. more expensive cards ?

under the regulations they are not allowed to do this, there was a big hoo-ha a few years ago, and research at that time showed that they are limited in what can be charged over to the user of an electricity post, they are not allowed to charge more than the statutory charge per unit of electricity provided, they can add a charge for the cards, but that has to be stated and separate from the electricity charge.

• Thanks 2

As one who has no need for bankside electricity and can forsee no need either, I utterly resent MY tolls being used for its provision. Let us not forget that the initial purpose of theis project was to encourage electric boating through the provision of charging points.

There shoud be a surcharge on the cards to cover the costs !

• Like 2

Sorry, I didn’t mean to set off another debate about the supply of electric posts. I just thought it odd that Hardley Cross was listed as the one of the locations with them. We quite frequently moor at Hardley Mill if we want electric.

Agree with the comments about it being good that there some some quieter moorings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

There shoud be a surcharge on the cards to cover the costs !

aside from the fact that this would be illegal under electricity supply regulations, i forget the exact reulation, but it falls under the same section as electric posts on caravan sites.

49 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

You are not alone in that Poppy. Perhaps a hefty surcharge on all boats fitted for mains electricity, e.g. a toll surcharge.

I think that would be dangerous ground!

Just because a boat is fitted for shore power doesn't mean it has to use it.  In addition the provision of shore power is so paltry on the Broads compared to other waterways that the fact that you have it, on your boat does not really give you any advantage over others.  Better to remain autonomous and ensure that your boat is so equipped that after around 4 hours day cruising, you can spend the night on any mooring that you choose.  That is how I grew up, on the Broads!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I apologise RealWindmill I shouldn't have made that comment. What you asked was why was it unfeasible NOT to supply. I just couldn't resist it. I should have put a grinning emoti after the comment. 

the apologies are from me MM as i caused the confusion with my bad grammar. Fell foul of the dreaded double negative. 

Sorry.

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean to set off another debate about the supply of electric posts. I just thought it odd that Hardley Cross was listed as the one of the locations with them. We quite frequently moor at Hardley Mill if we want electric.

Agree with the comments about it being good that there some some quieter moorings.

I for one was glad you raised the debate YM  There has been some interesting views and information come out of it.

In fact so interesting that in a minute I think i'll start another thread to cover post usage more generally over the whole Broads network , especially regarding electric boating in particular.

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

I apologised as the topic had a big discussion an year or two back, I realise that will have bypassed newer members though.

I was here then and remember it .

it is right that topics are bumped and re discussed , not only for the benefit of newbies but also get updates on peoples views and pre-conceptions. Amazing how they can change.  I admit to several, oh yeah thats right moments on occasion after reading others take on things.