Bucket List? - Oh Yes !

BroadAmbition

just one question Charlie, have you stopped grinning yet?  No and I probably won't for ages whenever I look at the video / photo's

another question that occurs, you said the controls were sensitive, did you find that your experience riding motorbikes helped with that at all? - It certainly did where the sensitivity is concerned, when doing 150mph+ on two wheels a very sure but tender touch is required, it was the same but enhanced in the Spitfire

I didn't realise you were also a biker - what do/did you ride ? See photo - The Mighty Tiger 1050 - Bought brand new in 2007, (coincidentally same year as we re-commissioned 'B.A') now with over 30'000 miles registered but still not riding it enough

What’s next on the list? Goodness knows, I want to do a fast taxi run in the Lancaster Bomber in Lincolnshire - Probably next year for that one as it the cost is sensible.  Then there is a foreign holiday specifically a safari - that may happen if the world ever gets back to some sort of normality at present I have lost the desire for going abroad, would much rather be on the Broads - then again that has always been the case if I'm honest.  Sailing 'B.A' over to Holland and back keeps getting muttered about too.  Allowing Kelly Brook to cook me breakfast would be acceptable if she asked me nicely :default_norty:  I am also hankering after going on a specific Game shooting weekend in Jockland, taking Purdey dog and MrsG but the cost of that is truly horrendous. 

Robin is putting together some sort of 'Blog' film of the event, he has film footage of the aerobatics from the ground, dozens and dozens of photo's plus the raw gopro footage from the cockpit.  Once he has completed it we will get it on line for all to see.

Griff

Griff at Cadwell.JPG

IMG_0415.jpg

Cadwell #01.JPG

Harry - Dale.JPG

• Like 3

Well the Tiger got airborne and I wasn't racing, just out on a track day.  I had no intention of getting airborne either, caused me to miss the first bend after landing, straight over the grass and back onto the track, nearly had to change my under-crackers afterwards :default_blush:

Griff

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Well the Tiger got airborne and I wasn't racing, just out on a track day.  I had no intention of getting airborne either, caused me to miss the first bend after landing, straight over the grass and back onto the track, nearly had to change my under-crackers afterwards :default_blush:

Griff

Yes, there's a nasty bit of a surprise for anyone that inadvertently takes off at the top and the Hall Bends are a bu**er  to negotiate if in mid flight!! :default_laugh:

Chris

• Haha 1

Nothing to do with the flaps, its the fuel selection lever.  There are two full sets of controls in the Grace Spitfire.  The fuel lever was by my right knee and you have to move your right knee inboard to allow the lever to be pulled back / pushed forward to select which tanks petrol is being drawn from.  During take off and landing the mighty 27Ltr Merlin draws petrol from the fuselage tank, at other times fuel is drawn from the wing tanks

Griff

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

That's another bucket list item just abut booked and sorted.

Sixteen of us going to the Isle of Man for the Manx Rally August 2025.  These events are so popular that one has to book over a year in advance to be sure of securing the accommodation and the ferries.

My Mighty Tiger  will of course be my steed, on the Sunday I will hopefully get to ride it round the track too :default_beerchug:

Griff

IMG_0415.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

That's another bucket list item just abut booked and sorted.

Sixteen of us going to the Isle of Man for the Manx Rally August 2025.  These events are so popular that one has to book over a year in advance to be sure of securing the accommodation and the ferries.

My Mighty Tiger  will of course be my steed, on the Sunday I will hopefully get to ride it round the track too :default_beerchug:

Griff

I was fortunate enough to go to the IOM TT for 10 days in 1992, on my then new Suzuki GSXR1100.

It was the year Steve Hislop won the Senior TT on a Norton, No.19 - a bike that I have seen on display at the Goodwood FoS a few times since. He battled against Carl Fogarty for the win, in a race that some have said was the greatest of all time !

What an experience it was, and to get to go around the famous 26 mile circuit was just amazing. I touched 165 MPH on the mountain pulling away from The Creg Ny Baa, something that I probably wouldn't dare do these days.

I believe the current outright lap record for the circuit is held by Steve Hickman, on a BMW, standing at 16m 36s at an AVERAGE speed of over 136 MPH. Just let that sink in for a minute - for anyone that has been to the IoM, and you will appreciate this yourself Griff once you have been, that is truly INSANE for the 26 mile road circuit.

Oh, and Mad Sunday is just that - M A D !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry but 1978 was the best year ever, Mike Hailwood came back after 40 years to take the win on the mighty Ducati, I was there and went on to buy the same model which I still have today.

Griff you will have the best time, if you need any info just ask, we have probably done the Manx and the TT 25+ times, its a not to be missed experience.

Im hoping to be at the Manx this year but doubtful next.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We can both agree that being on the beautiful Isle of Man for any year of any race series - be it the TT, the Manx or otherwise - is an amazing experience. The friendliness of both residents and visitors, from all nationalities and backgrounds, was brilliant. None of the football-hooligan type rivalry regardless of your appearance or what bike you are on.

I also experienced the island from a different perspective in my early teens in the late 70's as a CCF Cadet on annual camp, staying on the old base at Jurby. Oh what fun climbing Snaefell, wearing 37-pattern webbing and lugging a Lee Enfield .303 rifle, a 2 man bivy and compo rations ...

• Like 1

Its a fabulous place, we also had an alternative to motorcycling holiday, we walked the coastline, 100 miles of stunning scenery, highly recommended.

• Like 1

I remember Mark Higgins, I think in 2016 driving his 600hp WRX Subaru going round in under 18mins. Ave nearly 129mph. Good going in a car.

I have been to the IOM plenty of times on various grey funnel line vessels in a past life.

It was on more than one occasion a very productive happy hunting ground for me back then :default_icon_rolleyes:

This will be a first visit during a bike event and a first time to ride the track.

I can't see me hitting 145mph  :default_icon_eek:  even though the mighty Tiger is capable of it

Griff

• Like 1

I did on the Nürburgring track, hit 145mph would have gone quicker but the main straight was coned off to bring everyone back into the pit / parking  area.  That is the fastest me and my Tiger have travelled together, no intention of topping it either

Griff