Tolls 2021

PaulN

2 minutes ago, andyg said:

I know of one yard where the owners chucked it in because they'd just had enough of dealing with Jo Public, wilfull damage etc etc, a very successful and busy fleet. What was said in public about the yard closing, wasn't quite the truth.

One small but successful and highly thought of yard at Oulton Broad could be included in that list. 

In my days in the industry, very few people chose to complain in an offensive manner, does seem that things have changed over time! For most of us the leisure industry, and boating in particular, it is or was a way of life. One whining, moaning individual could and did ruin an otherwise good day! Justified complaints should be regarded as constructive criticism but the manner of the delivery could make or break the day. Problem might be that good manners are not often taught in schools.

East Enders, Rickay and Biancar in particular, have a lot to answer for!

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

One small but successful and highly thought of yard at Oulton Broad could be included in that list. 

In my days in the industry, very few people chose to complain in an offensive manner, does seem that things have changed over time! For most of us the leisure industry, and boating in particular, it is or was a way of life. One whining, moaning individual could and did ruin an otherwise good day! Justified complaints should be regarded as constructive criticism but the manner of the delivery could make or break the day. Problem might be that good manners are not often taught in schools.

I've never watched eastenders and my wife isn't into soaps thank god, but I can imagine. I can remember a few years back in reception at Stalham getting my fuel refund, a rather large tattooed lady was ripping into one of the girls about how crap the on board hair dryer was. Just one look at said lady told the whole story,what a crap way to start your day at work for the poor girl. At the end of the day being civil is free and will in most cases be more fruitful when trying to resolve the issues. 

• Like 3

Back to the safety / education issues, perhaps they need PCSO's / Specials or water borne equivalent from the local boating community ?

Don't need to pay them, just train, issue ID, and maybe discounted / free toll as an incentive.

Many of us do help / offer advice. Maybe if we could speak with authority.......

22 hours ago, floydraser said:

Thank you Vaughan. Your post should be printed out in a large font and displayed at every retail business for all to see. I often mention Ms Rantzen when discussing customer service. She lit the fuse by teaching us all how to complain, but then she fired up the ordinary person's latent megalomania by inferring that anyone in business is a crook.

Some people's favourite anecdotes are usually about how they spoke down to another human being trying to do their job.

I've always found the best way is to make the effort to be a good customer.

BUT, let's be even-handed. There are many businesses that treat the customer like a necessary evil when it comes to customer service. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I must be a real saddo then ,  I watch EastEnders and Corrie and I am a hirer to boot.   :default_blush:      When my boys were small I used to hang on to whatever I was giving them until they said thank you.   That was the way I was taught.   If you watch the TV now , whether it be young or old the word , "thank you", is a rarity,  people just grab.  So rude.

1 hour ago, MaceSwinger said:

One yard immediately springs to mind.

If MaceSwinger is refering to the yard we both hired from last summer I agree, they were definitely doing me a favour letting me hire one of their boats. 

Steve

3 hours ago, addicted said:

Personally we find that  it's the older  generation who are the most often guilty of neglecting to say please or thank you. It's almost as if they think their age entitles them. 

Carole

Yes I must admit there are some grumpy old gits about but on the whole folk of our generation usually do know how to say please and thank you.     The modern generation have been brought up to just help themselves to whatever,   if I had dared to touch anything in doors when I was young I knew about it.   I had to ask for everything and it wasn't always forthcoming.  Old habits die hard, even to this day I still ask politely for anything that I need or want.  What do they say manners maketh man.   (For man read woman, just in case the woke brigade are reading this.)

• Like 3