We've Brought Her Back Home

Karizma

Hi all, I've been following this forum for a couple of months now after watching some YouTube videos posted by "The Captains Blog' !!!  so thought I'd say hello as a new member.

With all travel abroad disrupted last year we decided to return to the Norfolk Broads (my parents use to own a boat on the Broads many years ago) and hire a craft for our summer holiday. Well it didn't take us long to decide that we had 'the boating bug' again and so in Aug 2020 started looking round for our own boat.

Fast forward to Dec 2020 and we'd 'signed on the dotted line' and purchased a Sheerline 1070 that was, at that point moored on the River Thames. So we quickly arranged transportation (in-between lockdowns) and got her moved onto the Southern Broads (well that where she was the last time we saw her!!!!).

After doing a little research on our purchase it turned out that our boat was built by R. & J. Russell in South Walsham and started life in 1994 as a hire craft named 'Chablis', from South Wroxham for Russell Marine Ltd.

She remained a hire craft between 1994 and December 2000 where she then transferred into private ownership. Our research shows that she remained on the Norfolk Broads until a change of ownership in October 2013 which saw her transferred to the River Thames in Oxford where the new owners renamed her 'Karizma'.

She remained on the River Thames until we purchased her in December 2020, and whilst we decided to keep her 'new' name, we brought her back to the Norfolk Broads.

If anybody has any history on this, or any other boats from the same fleet then it would be great to hear the stories ...... 

Hope to see some of you on the river in 2021 ......... when we are allowed.

Steve & Tracy

• Like 8

Remember the Chablis class well , we hired from Russell Craft for many years in the early to mid 90’s aboard Muscadet a smaller aft cabin 950 Sheerline , now called Hilight and on hire with HW .

the fleet was always immaculate and no matter how many times you had hired from them you always received a full in depth trial run   .

Here’s Chablis in her hire days (courtesy of Craig Slawson2021)

C40F0DBF-4434-49EC-A29C-8211D7229674.png

• Like 2

We also hired from Russell Marine at the end of the 90’s and into the new millennium.  It was a small yard with immaculately turned out boats, that were built to a very high standard for a hire fleet.  As with Cambridge Cabby, we hired Muscadet a couple of times and Fleurie once.  
I have to confess that we were looking at Karizma with interest on Apollo Duck for a while, but eventually decided to wait until after our planned house move before thinking about changing our boat.  
Good luck with her.  I’ll be sure to keep a look out for you when we’re back out on Norfolk Lady.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We also hired from Russell Marine at the end of the 90’s and into the new millennium.  It was a small yard with immaculately turned out boats, that were built to a very high standard for a hire fleet.  As with Cambridge Cabby, we hired Muscadet a couple of times and Fleurie once.  
I have to confess that we were looking at Karizma with interest on Apollo Duck for a while, but eventually decided to wait until after our planned house move before thinking about changing our boat.  
Good luck with her.  I’ll be sure to keep a look out for you when we’re back out on Norfolk Lady.

Hi Mouldy, very glad you had a house move to think about! :default_biggrin:

Will look out for Norfolk Lady on our travels.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Karizma said:

Hi all, I've been following this forum for a couple of months now after watching some YouTube videos posted by "The Captains Blog' !!!  so thought I'd say hello as a new member.

With all travel abroad disrupted last year we decided to return to the Norfolk Broads (my parents use to own a boat on the Broads many years ago) and hire a craft for our summer holiday. Well it didn't take us long to decide that we had 'the boating bug' again and so in Aug 2020 started looking round for our own boat.

Fast forward to Dec 2020 and we'd 'signed on the dotted line' and purchased a Sheerline 1070 that was, at that point moored on the River Thames. So we quickly arranged transportation (in-between lockdowns) and got her moved onto the Southern Broads (well that where she was the last time we saw her!!!!).

After doing a little research on our purchase it turned out that our boat was built by R. & J. Russell in South Walsham and started life in 1994 as a hire craft named 'Chablis', from South Wroxham for Russell Marine Ltd.

She remained a hire craft between 1994 and December 2000 where she then transferred into private ownership. Our research shows that she remained on the Norfolk Broads until a change of ownership in October 2013 which saw her transferred to the River Thames in Oxford where the new owners renamed her 'Karizma'.

She remained on the River Thames until we purchased her in December 2020, and whilst we decided to keep her 'new' name, we brought her back to the Norfolk Broads.

If anybody has any history on this, or any other boats from the same fleet then it would be great to hear the stories ...... 

Hope to see some of you on the river in 2021 ......... when we are allowed.

Steve & Tracy

I look forward to seeing your boat on the broads, it seems to have a sort of presence about it, and lets face it, Who doesn't look forwards to Karizmas presence?

Sorry, Ill go now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I look forward to seeing your boat on the broads, it seems to have a sort of presence about it, and lets face it, Who doesn't look forwards to Karizmas presence?

Sorry, Ill go now!

Let’s face it John you look forward to seeing your own boat 😊

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

and if you see me afloat I can let you have an NBN decal 

And I can let you have (For the standard price) A hardwood Morse control knob

Griff

thanks Griff - can't even remember what type I have on her its been that long!

• Haha 1

On 08/03/2021 at 18:28, CambridgeCabby said:

Don’t forget to get your NBN burgee from the NBN shop , and if you see me afloat I can let you have an NBN decal 

arrived in double quick time - thanks Mike (#Chameleon). Now just need to get it on board!

158428563_193022585955047_5735725353542611770_n.png