Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

3 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

Swimming and paddle boarding are two totally different activities :default_rofl:or so we are led to believe 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Both swimming and paddle boarding bring with them a huge amount of risk. 

A risk which is not recognised or understood by the participants of each individual activity.

The skipper/helm/hirer/first time hirer/new first time owner is ill prepared with regard to this relatively new introduction on our navigable waters. I place significant emphasise on Navigable waters. 

Times have changed. The boats of yesteryear have gone. their boat yards have gone. The family boat yards, have gone.

You have been left with huge boats, not Broads boats that are limited to where that can go , but posing boats.  In charge of those with limited understanding, knowledge, or experience.. 

Backwards and forwards on the Bure, on the Yare. They cannot go any where else. They are too big. Indeed there are some who will say get rid of the bridge,,,... Potter Heigham Bridge , to accommodate  them. These are not Broadland Folk, or people who have any interest or concern or indeed an understanding of our heritage.

Swim if you must. Paddle board if you wish. Indeed ;last year on Womack water a paddle boarder. A lady on the thing, what could possibly go wrong. On the front of the board a child, I guess what, two or three years old. wearing a life jacket.

Within the mix 38 ft, 40ft hire boats with skippers of limited experience attempting stern on moorings for the first time.

Sorry to disappoint. nothing happened.

Had the women and her child been subjected to an incident with both in the water, together with a hire boat, with a helm of no experience it would be a difficult recovery within a short time span.

My legacy has gone, forgotten, ignored. 

I do not have much confidence in yours.

Please tell me otherwise.

Andrew

• Like 1

We'll, you just have to use your common sense when helming a cruiser, canoeing, paddle boarding, wild swimming, hiking up mountains or whatever you chosen sport is.

We are not planning on paddle boarding anywhere busy with river traffic.

On a more positive note. We left Horning at 9'ish, had an unproductive detour up to Potter H (no BA Moorings free), a lunch stop at Stacey Arms, went through Yarmouth around 4pm and turned up the Waveney. 

Guess where we are. 

IMG_20230701_192257020.thumb.jpg.b2b5b2a800a36176b2c3827880079e57.jpg

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

We'll, you just have to use your common sense when helming a cruiser, canoeing, paddle boarding, wild swimming, hiking up mountains or whatever you chosen sport is.

On a more positive note. We left Horning at 9'ish, had an unproductive detour up to Potter H (no BA Moorings free), a lunch stop at Stacey Arms, went through Yarmouth around 4pm and turned up the Waveney. 

Guess where we are. 

Common sence does not enter into the equation in any shape or form. It does not exist. How can it?

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

Both swimming and paddle boarding bring with them a huge amount of risk. 

A risk which is not recognised or understood by the participants of each individual activity.

The skipper/helm/hirer/first time hirer/new first time owner is ill prepared with regard to this relatively new introduction on our navigable waters. I place significant emphasise on Navigable waters. 

Times have changed. The boats of yesteryear have gone. their boat yards have gone. The family boat yards, have gone.

You have been left with huge boats, not Broads boats that are limited to where that can go , but posing boats.  In charge of those with limited understanding, knowledge, or experience.. 

Backwards and forwards on the Bure, on the Yare. They cannot go any where else. They are too big. Indeed there are some who will say get rid of the bridge,,,... Potter Heigham Bridge , to accommodate  them. These are not Broadland Folk, or people who have any interest or concern or indeed an understanding of our heritage.

Swim if you must. Paddle board if you wish. Indeed ;last year on Womack water a paddle boarder. A lady on the thing, what could possibly go wrong. On the front of the board a child, I guess what, two or three years old. wearing a life jacket.

Within the mix 38 ft, 40ft hire boats with skippers of limited experience attempting stern on moorings for the first time.

Sorry to disappoint. nothing happened.

Had the women and her child been subjected to an incident with both in the water, together with a hire boat, with a helm of no experience it would be a difficult recovery within a short time span.

My legacy has gone, forgotten, ignored. 

I do not have much confidence in yours.

Please tell me otherwise.

Andrew

That poor lady probably had to cross a busy road with her child to get there and maybe all those drivers weren't up to advance motorists standards. She probably did it so that both she and her child had a rich life that wasn't  handicapped by fear.

• Love 2

7 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

That poor lady probably had to cross a busy road with her child to get there and maybe all those drivers weren't up to advance motorists standards. She probably did it so that both she and her child had a rich life that wasn't  handicapped by fear.

M and P

Your responce would seem to suggest that you have difficulty in understanding the difference between the car, motorists, and the disciplines that exist and are well defined in that particular environment and the issues that are present between large hire craft and inexperienced hires and private owners.

Unless of course you are able to convince me otherwise.

In the summer holidays 3 of my 4 grandchildren afed 12 to 16 will be doing SUP in Norfolk.

They have all completed 8 hours training and supervised use with a professional instructor.

They may use the Yare and Surlingham Broad depending on the levels of river traffic or opt for a quieter area in the northern broads.

Wherever they are, the will be visible and avoiding the main channels.

All of them have been driving and mooring boats for a few years, they are aware of the failings of some helms.

These youngsters are future boat owners and hirers and should be encouraged to use the waterways, they are there for all to enjoy and use safely.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

In the summer holidays 3 of my 4 grandchildren afed 12 to 16 will be doing SUP in Norfolk.

They have all completed 8 hours training and supervised use with a professional instructor.

They may use the Yare and Surlingham Broad depending on the levels of river traffic or opt for a quieter area in the northern broads.

Wherever they are, the will be visible and avoiding the main channels.

All of them have been driving and mooring boats for a few years, they are aware of the failings of some helms.

These youngsters are future boat owners and hirers and should be encouraged to use the waterways, they are there for all to enjoy and use safely.

Some paddle boarders do not have the opportunity or experience which has been afforded to your grandchildren.  The river Yare in my opinion is not suitable for wild swimming ot paddle boarding. Bargate no problem. The Yare is an entirely different matter. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wussername said:

M and P

Your responce would seem to suggest that you have difficulty in understanding the difference between the car, motorists, and the disciplines that exist and are well defined in that particular environment and the issues that are present between large hire craft and inexperienced hires and private owners.

Unless of course you are able to convince me otherwise.

It is only our interpretation of a situation. The only qualifications that one of us has held an HGV 1 licence for 35 years and the other qualification would be that we have both owned a boat of some sort for about 35 years three of them being trailed by one of us for about 25 years The latest one being impractical to launch and recover on a slip way so we moor that one. Although our post was not based on any qualifications just common sense and as a child I swam in rivers and both our children grew up with and around boats and are confident with them and the water. (Don't go down the weir Dad a famous family cry). It is just an interpretation and not an argument who can say what's right or wrong. 

I have seen wonderful smiles on paddle boarders faces they are not being rude if they don't  wave they just have their hands full of paddle.

Please take no offence it's just an interpretation of a situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Wussername said:

The river Yare in my opinion is not suitable for wild swimming ot paddle boarding. Bargate no problem. The Yare is an entirely different matter. 

Which is why none of my family will be paddle boarding on the Yare. The nearest we'll be to the Yare will be to sneak under Bishop's Bridge.

11 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

It is only our interpretation of a situation. The only qualifications that one of us has held an HGV 1 licence for 35 years and the other qualification would be that we have both owned a boat of some sort for about 35 years three of them being trailed by one of us for about 25 years The latest one being impractical to launch and recover on a slip way so we moor that one. Although our post was not based on any qualifications just common sense and as a child I swam in rivers and both our children grew up with and around boats and are confident with them and the water. (Don't go down the weir Dad a famous family cry). It is just an interpretation and not an argument who can say what's right or wrong. 

I have seen wonderful smiles on paddle boarders faces they are not being rude if they don't  wave they just have their hands full of paddle.

Please take no offence it's just an interpretation of a situation. 

M and P

Huge amount of respect for your contribution to the forum and this particular issue in particular. I suspect that we are both of an age where we should be allowed a bit of slack. Surely that is what springs are meant for. 

Kind regards

Andrew

• Like 1

Given the width of the Yare it is probably safer than a narrower waterway that is shared. The biggest draw back is boaters of all types seeing 6mph as a minimum target speed rather than a maximum and the subsequent wake they produce. It certainly isn't a place for a novice SUP but I do see plenty of experienced ones most days.

I often see a couple of SUP doing litter collections in the margins.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Which is why none of my family will be paddle boarding on the Yare. The nearest we'll be to the Yare will be to sneak under Bishop's Bridge.

The River Wensum provides an abundance of delight after the wonderful Bishops Bridge. Lollards Pit, Cow Tower, and of course the Swan Pit which provided the Bishop of Norwich. So much to discover. So much history. Before you venture, read Tombland,  the story of Ketts rebellion by C J Sansome. You will not be disappointed.

Andrew

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Guess where we are. 

I've no ides where you are, Helen but you've certainly covered some miles today. At Potter, is Herbert Woods a mooring option for you for a short stop or do they come after you for lots of money?

13 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I've no ides where you are, Helen but you've certainly covered some miles today. At Potter, is Herbert Woods a mooring option for you for a short stop or do they come after you for lots of money?

We noticed Evening Shadow was reversing in the Herbie Woods basin to a likely spot, but we couldn't see that many spaces from the river. We only wanted a fleeting visit to Latham's to look for a mat to cover our escape hatch. We are using the paddle board to cover it again this evening, so we weren't that fussed about not being able to moor up. 

For those who don't recognise the 'Easter Island ' head carving, we are on a wild mooring on the Waveney a few river bends upstream from the Waveney River Centre.

There is a wonderful moon this evening. More like carried away by a moonlight reflection than a shadow. 

IMG_20230701_215254631.thumb.jpg.96630472cd8d40b6692471d8c5f25f93.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

We were up and away just after sunrise this morning and reached our current destination, Geldeston dyke, around 7am. Low water was around 6.30 in Beccles . It turned out we didn't need to get up so early as there was plenty of room under the old bridge. It's extremely weedy in Geldeston dyke. 

By the way, it's the first time I've heard a cuckoo sing out in July. I heard him yesterday evening and again this morning around 5am.

Southern Broads look to be very quiet so far. Although Somerlayton was full yesterday that was mainly because people were awkwardly spaced. There were no boats at North Cove or Worlingham as we passed this morning and Beccles looked more than half empty too. 

• Like 5

I'm loving your holiday tale Helen and that's exactly what it is, a holiday tale. Whilst I respect all posters and their comments this thread is not for a debate about paddle boarders and their safety thank you very much. I know full well Helen intends staying upright and not going for a swim either :default_biggrin: 

Keep it coming Helen , loving it :default_stinky: x

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

One day I'll summon up the motivation to be out of bed early enough to have a cruise at sunrise, it must be idyllic. At Beccles I'd have thought you'd have a reasonable window either side of low water - you must need about 7 foot with the screens down?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

One day I'll summon up the motivation to be out of bed early enough to have a cruise at sunrise, it must be idyllic. At Beccles I'd have thought you'd have a reasonable window either side of low water - you must need about 7 foot with the screens down?

Good shout, Simon.  6’10” with canopy and screens down and 7’10” with them up.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I’d also like a sunrise cruise or 2, just waiting for the clocks to change……. :default_icon_e_biggrin: