Burrer, Burr Or Burg.

AndyTBoater

11 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Having been born nowhere near Norfolk for many years I followed my parents' pronunciation of Acle as Accle. I know it as Aycul nowadays, I hope that's right.

I think there was a thread about St Olaves a while back. What's the right way of saying that - St Olives?

Yeah, correct on both counts.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

So I dont think I ever got to the bottom of Potter

I always had it as Potter Hayum

Recently been told it should be Potterum

Just so you know, I was told Potterum by a self identified "local" who had moved here four years ago.

Any other suggestions? 

One myth that I have been guilty of is calling Stiffkey Stooky. It is actually :-

Stiff as in rigid Key as in lock. But the famous Mussels from there are Stooky Blues.

Slightly off topic for Norfolk, but our SatNav (we call her ‘Shirley’…don’t ask me why, it’s Graham’s fault) often has us in stitches. She calls ‘Bicester’ Bi-cester, rather than ‘Bister’, as it’s usually known, and as we are travelling down the M1 she often asks us (randomly) to turn off at Junction 12 to ‘Flit-wick’ (pronounced Flitick). On the way up to North Wales up the M6, she tries to direct us to ‘Norwich’ when we are passing the exit that leads to Northwich.

Well that one at least makes sense…she’s obviously got it into her head/data that we always travel to Norfolk on a longer journey. 

On 24/04/2022 at 07:07, MargeandParge said:

The Beauchamp Arms I once said to a Norfolk lass at Griffin Marine her reply " oh you must mean The Buckingham Ferry." :default_biggrin:

Close.... It's Buckenham.

Though that is the other side of the river technically.