Nipper.

• 2 years later...

You won't totally  stop  the water coming in through the stern tube, I usually get a few drops, you can put some grease in the  stern  tube,  but if you put too much it can  slow the  motora d cause heat, so either  expect it and  live with it,  or do something about it.  A small shaft sized o ring might work, but would  need  replacing  regularly. 

• Like 2

River trials have shown up a couple of issues. The batteries are causing ballasting problems, ideally they need to be in the rear cabin but there is not room under the floor. The motor runs fine in forward but lacks power in reverse I’m not sure if this is a motor issue or a prop issue. So I guess more head scratching needed. 

You won't totally  stop  the water coming in through the stern tube, I usually get a few drops, you can put some grease in the  stern  tube,  but if you put too much it can  slow the  motora d cause heat, so either  expect it and  live with it,  or do something about it. 

Knowing Grendel he will probably design / build and fit a scale auto bilge pump! :default_shocked1animated:

Griff

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

You won't totally  stop  the water coming in through the stern tube, I usually get a few drops, you can put some grease in the  stern  tube,  but if you put too much it can  slow the  motora d cause heat, so either  expect it and  live with it,  or do something about it. 

Knowing Grendel he will probably design / build and fit a scale auto bilge pump! :default_shocked1animated:

Griff

I already did, the problem was it needs to be submerged, and it pumps way too fast, I dont really want to be letting that much water in. for the few drops that do get in, its difficult to pump that small amount.

• Like 2

Hi On my previous boat I placed a plastic container connected to a shower pump by a hose this meant a dry bilge. To check prop alignment disconnect prop, repack packing with new then check the Engine/gearbox alignment with prop, you will most likely find the engine mountings have compressed over time and need adjusting to lift it up to align with prop, this then will reduce the water to a minimum and reduce the boat sinking if battery goes flat if left for a prolonged time. John

29 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi On my previous boat I placed a plastic container connected to a shower pump by a hose this meant a dry bilge. To check prop alignment disconnect prop, repack packing with new then check the Engine/gearbox alignment with prop, you will most likely find the engine mountings have compressed over time and need adjusting to lift it up to align with prop, this then will reduce the water to a minimum and reduce the boat sinking if battery goes flat if left for a prolonged time. John

I think a shower pump would be bigger than the boat in question.

• Haha 1

On 12/05/2024 at 21:22, BrundallNavy said:

The motor runs fine in forward but lacks power in reverse I’m not sure if this is a motor issue or a prop issue.

Be careful about upping power in reverse too much if it's a screw on threaded prop. They're usually threaded so that forward thrust keeps the prop screwed on tightly. In reverse, it's possible for the torque to unscrew the prop - usually accompanied by a loud screaming noise and not going anywhere. Something I learnt the hard way in the past :facepalm:

• Like 1