tips on crossing breydon

jillR

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I'm returning to the Broads next Easter for the first time in 8 years. I'm a bit of a planner (nothing I can do about that).

When We've been in the past we've mainly stuck to the Northern Broads, apart from a trip across to Oulton broads, as one year, we were  there for a power boat race. I just remember it  being a little stressful with bridge heights etc.

My daughter is a school teacher so I am limited to dates I am able to visit the broads, have settled for the Easter break. Looking at various videos, it does look as though it will be quieter on the Southern side, and Haven't seen much of that anyway. 

I fully understand and have looked up Slack Water passage times, for the week we are there. The question I have is with passage times vs Sun Rise/Sun Set, as these are quite close during the week I am there. W/C 8th April.

Would the following work:-

OUT - Tuesday 9th April, pass through Yarmouth YS @ 6pm(would sooner pass earlier if possible?), with Over night @ Burgh Castle. Yarmouth Slack Water 6:30pm BST

RETURN Saturday 13th April, Leave Reedham @ 6:45am, which would put us at Yarmouth around 8:30, which is 40 minutes after Slack water on the day.

I don't mind leaving earlier, just not sure about sun rise. Cruiser height when prepared for passage under bridges: 8ft 8in (2.64m)

Thanks in advance, Nige

• Like 1

be careful with your bridge heights, you may well need to pass under at low water, I have seen the clearance at slack as less than 8 foot, as though the bure is still ebbing, the tide is rising after low water, 40 minutes after slack could mean only just over 7 foot clearance.

the best bet is always to phone the yacht station either on the day (or maybe the day before on your return trip) and ask advice on the best time to pass through considering your air draft.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grendel said:

be careful with your bridge heights, you may well need to pass under at low water, I have seen the clearance at slack as less than 8 foot, as though the bure is still ebbing, the tide is rising after low water, 40 minutes after slack could mean only just over 7 foot clearance.

the best bet is always to phone the yacht station either on the day (or maybe the day before on your return trip) and ask advice on the best time to pass through considering your air draft.

Going out will be easy, as there's plenty of daylight and going earlier just improves that. Coming back low water is showing at 7:49am and sun rise at 6:03, so that just about works. Its just that the info I have seen says arrive @ Yarmouth YS 1 1/4hr after low water. Is it OK just to go by the low water times rather than slack water times?

17 minutes ago, gadjetuk said:

Going out will be easy, as there's plenty of daylight and going earlier just improves that. Coming back low water is showing at 7:49am and sun rise at 6:03, so that just about works. Its just that the info I have seen says arrive @ Yarmouth YS 1 1/4hr after low water. Is it OK just to go by the low water times rather than slack water times?

Your limiting factor is your air draft as Grendel has mentioned  at slack water you may not have enough room.  You can transit GY at any time of tide you just need to be more aware of the faster tide and bridge height. 

Phone the lads at the Yacht Station the day before you intend to cross.  Based on your boat, they’ll give you the best times to pass through Yarmouth.  The airdraft of our boat is 8ft 3ins and we are generally advised to pass through within 30 minutes of low water to ensure adequate bridge clearance.  It’s worth noting that the river level is rising after low water, so by slack, the bridge clearance will be reducing.

Looking at your dates, they are either side of spring tides, which will impact river levels and obviously no one can predict the weather, which also impacts tides and river levels.  Make a plan, but have a plan B, just incase.

This website will give you some indication of clearance at some bridges, including at Yarmouth:

https://broads.bridgeheight.com

50 minutes ago, grendel said:

I always phone GY yacht station for advice on getting under Vauxhall bridge when we're crossing from North to South and vice versa. I look at the best days according to the info available but always give them a ring just to make sure. They are very very helpful - you just give them the name of your hire boat and they will tell you when the best time is to get under that lump of metal! They'll also advise you of the best time to leave your current destination so as to time it right for getting under the bridge.

Chris

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Also when looking at tide tables don't mix up GMT and BST. One popular tide table always published sunrise/sunset in GMT and tide times in BST (in the summer)!

If you’re referring to the broads.org table, since it has been extended beyond the end of this year, all times from 2024 are listed in GMT.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Came through there on Sunday on high tide with tide still flowing in fast.

Taking the turning back to wards the Yacht station after the yellow marker in the estuary was a challenge.

I can see why hire craft are recommended to take this on slack tide ! 

with only 6 foot clearance under the  two bridges we managed to get under.