Pipedreams

CambridgeCabby

• 2 weeks later...

Have a lovely time. Hoping to go up next weekend. Are the rivers generally quiet?  How Hill got quite busy last weekend then light dawned as we realised it was half term.  We would really like to get onto Gayes Staithe on the side on for the first time as we cant do stern on with no access for the hound.

Simon’s right about the last weekend for most yards. I was talking to reception at Richardson’s, 26 more boats to come back in on Monday and then that’s it for another season. The yard looks odd with all the boats lined up. The lads were already swarming all over them, getting jobs done and saw them still at near 5pm working. 

Left a wet Ranworth at 10:00hrs in light drizzle , just heavy enough to form raindrops on the centre windscreen but not heavy enough to cause beading to clear it (with the aid of rainx which I have coated the screen with) , we had decided to head back up the Ant towards home base (Stalham) as we are back home tomorrow as it’s a working day for me .

Arrived at a deserted Gays staithe , all except a couple of hardy anglers , in time for a morning snack of pâté sandwiches and a milky stove top coffee , after an hour we decided to venture on to Sutton .

Upon arrival at Sutton all the green side moorings were occupied so we moored up on what I’ve always called the “towpath” moorings and took Bramble for a walk ; even though we had fish pie planned for this pm I decided to see if a table was available for this evening in the Saithe Hotel , on entering the pub it was a delight to encounter the imitable character of our own Maurice Minor , so lovely to see you again John ;

it was a bit early for me to commence my libations as tomorrow is a work day and I’m driving early so I didn’t stay for a pint (or +too many) , a table was indeed booked for later and I returned to the boat for a quiet afternoon with Katie.

at 17:00 , a boat I had seen moored on the green passed us having departed so I quickly untied and reversed up the dyke and moored up on the green , which I much prefer to the tow path , sorted!!

19:30 we went to the inn for our dinner in The Staithe Hotel , Katie had battered fish and chips , myself gammon steak , both were much better than previous meals we have had here and good portions and value , the bill for fresh battered fish and chips , a 16oz gammon steak with all trimmings , a coke and 6pints was £47 , not bad for the area and for the quality provided.

The  beer was well kept and thr right temperature , too many pubs are serving their ales too cold for my palate !! 
This evenings ale of choice seemed more attuned to the bars of “Carry On” culture than a sleepy Norfolk hostelry but was extremely quaffable 

Sadly back home tomorrow , but back in a couple of weeks 

CCC635AC-7AAE-4F39-AD80-93D259B53A5A.jpeg

• Like 4

May see you both in a couple of weeks and will attempt Gayes staithe. Completely forgot we have a BT engineer installing BT fibre into the house on Friday then my car is being serviced on Saturday. Gutted we have to wait another week! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

This evenings ale of choice seemed more attuned to the bars of “Carry On” culture than a sleepy Norfolk hostelry but was extremely quaffable 

CCC635AC-7AAE-4F39-AD80-93D259B53A5A.jpeg

Someone with a sense of humour gave that name to their brew!   😉

• 2 weeks later...