Boat Purchase & Life Change

KrakenHunter

Hello all,

My names Ben and I'm new here! πŸ‘‹Β 

Life has thrown a lot of things my way over the past few years namely some semi-serious health challenges and a subsequent long term relationship split, the list goes on..

At 34 I have decided to take life a lot more slowly and I've currently got my house in Wiltshire on the market.

Without boring you further with my life story I have decided to purchase a boat to in part, live on, on the Broads, whilst occasionally travelling back to Wiltshire where I have an online antiques business and a yard with somewhere I can stay for a few days or more whilst I get some work done.

I intend to rent a permanent mooring in a marina, and whilst these are unlikely to be residential I will either be spending most of the time exploring the navigation or with the boat moored up whilst I am back in Wiltshire.

Here goes for the questions..

I should have a 35k(ish) budget for a boat and although not everyones cup of tea I Β have pretty much set my heart on one of the old Topcraft Topliner boats that have the 4 poster style bed in. Now I should say that I am 6ft am now almost that wide and I spend a fair bit of time in bed! I like the space, comfort, windows etc that this design has and that you can walk around the sides and back etc which will suit me as im quite partial to chucking a lure over the side and will also have two small dogs with me and this design provides some protection from them easily jumping or falling overboard with the sides etc. I can also see that the sofa could be easily chopped in for a sofa bed which will be great for when my nephew comes to stay or family borrow the boat.

What do you peeps think about these boats? There doesn't seem to be many left out there?

Do most marinas allow you to stay overnight for a few days on your craft when needed?

Thanks in advance,

Ben & Doggos 🐢 

• Like 2

Hi Ben,

I have a Topliner, the later two cabin version.

I did look at a four poster recently when it was up for sale.Β 

For info the private sale didn't reach the 25k asking price and was moved off the Broads.

A reasonable price for the one up for sale now would be around that price range. The open plan isn't overly popular although it has a bow thruster that would be handy for solo cruising.

Had our one 9 years and are very happy with it, good solid hulls.

Β 

There were only 3 Royals made, they were all purchased by BB when Topcraft sold them. BB sold one off and put the other two in the fleet.

The later models, Corniche, 3 were made and sold to private buyers when Topcraft closed. One is in Bristol and mine and the third one are on the Broads, mostly on the Southern areas.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site from someone who used to live in Wiltshire, I've still got relatives in Ludgershall and the other side of the county near Longleat (close enough to hear the Lions roar).

My only recommendation on boat's is to get one low enough to get under the bridges, Above Potter and Hoveton are some of the best parts of the Broads..

22 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

I could never get my head around the poor use of space, they seem so much smaller than the later ones but are the same hull.

Is it because the first ones were conversions from the original intended use whereas the later boats were purpose built?

• Like 1

Hi Ben many marinas a turn a blind eye to live boards providing you dont start having sheds chairs and other dirties on the bank and keep your self below the radar so to speck, they wont necessarily give you permission but turn a blind eye. John

• Like 2

Thanks guys, yes I was thinking if I'm clean and tidy and don't draw attention to myself I could stay β€˜regularly’ but best kept off the forum naming yards and so fourth. I will work that bit out as I get to know the mooring.

TheQ I am literally 10 minutes away from Ludgershall, in a little village called ######, I just need to get the house sold now! Several viewings but no bites yet, its got a thatched roof so not everyones cuppa!

I think its unlikely I will find a boat that will both suit my needs and go under Potter bridge but I will most definitely have a small craft of sorts that I can use for day visits where I cannot access.

Ben,

• Like 1

Can IΒ  just clarifyΒ  that the first Topliners were the two cabin versionsΒ  in 1988 to 1991, they then in 91/92 built 2 Carolinas which were unique in that could carry a touring caravan, finally in 93/94 they built the 2 berth version. The caravan versionsΒ  were a flop and were converted cc 94 to the 2 berth versions, giving 3 of each class in total.Β 

NeilΒ 

• Thanks 1