Old Woodies

andyg

I saw some really cracking well maintained classic old wooden broads cruisers on our recent outing afloat. Got me thinking back to my childhood when all boats both hire and private where wood. I just wondered if members had a special old favourite wooden boat. My top three were and still are, the admiral and captain classes from brooms. Striking and very military looking boats. I believe there's an all varnished admiral example around the Horning Wroxham area. A truly beautiful looking boat. I wouldn't want the maintenance bill for that. Then my all time favourite merrymoore from moores and Co. A stunning looking boat with its huge oval shaped windows. I always wanted my dad to hire her and I believe she's still afloat on the broads. A certain member has a cracking looking old wooden boat, but he seems to hide it away in his shed lol...shame on you 😉 anyone else got a favourite, I've probably forgotten more then I could remember so it would be interesting to see what pops up. 

1 hour ago, Victoryv said:

Nice Doug, not many people lucky enough to have been the custodian of both. Varnish bill might be cheaper in future.

I do like this one too.

IMG_0723.jpeg

I think I've seen this one, moored at the big house just before you reach Horning. Next to the church on the hill. All three look lovely 😍 

1 minute ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Saw Maggie Jane out on the rivers over the weekend , very smart 

I've seen pictures of her Clive has posted on hpc fb page, I only saw her out of the corner of my eye when passing the mooring didn't realise it was Clive boat. Cracking looking all the same they all are to be fair. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that Andy G may be referring to "Broadland Swift".  I confess, the old girl has spent far too long hidden from view, but, without going to too much detail, I plead extenuating circumstances.

For the past three years I have been hoping to convert Broadland Swift to pure electric propulsion (48v AC brushless motor) to join a fleet of electrically powered boats I also own - a Powles day boat, a Mark 1 Freeman and a mystery boat just acquired ("Tender to Silver Leaf") probably built in Scotland - possibly Glasgow.  Unfortunately, I am gradually coming round to the idea that the conversion is impractical for the way I wish to use the boat.  I'm slowly, and very, very reluctantly, coming round to the idea of re-engining her to diesel.  Going hybrid was an option at one point, but now seems to me to be the worst of all worlds. 

I am very much hoping that "Swift" will be out and about next year, but, I have to report that she may now be confined to the "jewel in the crown" waters above THAT bridge.  Since I started restoring her, the River Thurne has risen to the extent that I can no longer guarantee to get Swift through Potter bridge.  Fortunately, being stored in our wet shed, her brightwork and hull paint look almost as fresh as the day I completed them.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, expilot said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Andy G may be referring to "Broadland Swift".  I confess, the old girl has spent far too long hidden from view, but, without going to too much detail, I plead extenuating circumstances.

For the past three years I have been hoping to convert Broadland Swift to pure electric propulsion (48v AC brushless motor) to join a fleet of electrically powered boats I also own - a Powles day boat, a Mark 1 Freeman and a mystery boat just acquired ("Tender to Silver Leaf") probably built in Scotland - possibly Glasgow.  Unfortunately, I am gradually coming round to the idea that the conversion is impractical for the way I wish to use the boat.  I'm slowly, and very, very reluctantly, coming round to the idea of re-engining her to diesel.  Going hybrid was an option at one point, but now seems to me to be the worst of all worlds. 

I am very much hoping that "Swift" will be out and about next year, but, I have to report that she may now be confined to the "jewel in the crown" waters above THAT bridge.  Since I started restoring her, the River Thurne has risen to the extent that I can no longer guarantee to get Swift through Potter bridge.  Fortunately, being stored in our wet shed, her brightwork and hull paint look almost as fresh as the day I completed them.  

I'm sorry I wasn't but your be pleased to know I am aware of swift and have seen her on numerous occasions above that bridge over the years. I'm also a fan of the old ripple craft boats. I seem to remember some time ago you mentioning your hopes to go all electric with her. She another cracking old woodie. The person I was referring to recently started a new job 😉

5 hours ago, petersjoy said:

Unless she's move in the last week, she's looking very abandoned in Beccles Yacht station where she's been for the last few weeks.

And will be for the next few as well. One of her boat buddies has asked for her to be Beccles based until the end of November.  You will see activity aboard most weekends.

• Like 2

On 01/11/2021 at 08:21, andyg said:

I saw some really cracking well maintained classic old wooden broads cruisers on our recent outing afloat. Got me thinking back to my childhood when all boats both hire and private where wood. I just wondered if members had a special old favourite wooden boat. My top three were and still are, the admiral and captain classes from brooms. Striking and very military looking boats. I believe there's an all varnished admiral example around the Horning Wroxham area. A truly beautiful looking boat. I wouldn't want the maintenance bill for that. Then my all time favourite merrymoore from moores and Co. A stunning looking boat with its huge oval shaped windows. I always wanted my dad to hire her and I believe she's still afloat on the broads. A certain member has a cracking looking old wooden boat, but he seems to hide it away in his shed lol...shame on you 😉 anyone else got a favourite, I've probably forgotten more then I could remember so it would be interesting to see what pops up. 

Fully agree in many ways; you can’t beat a wooden boat, pretty to look at full of character, handle like nothing else, they almost become part of the family, though no matter how hard you try as soon as they are in the water you never really know what’s going on underneath. 🤔.

Keeping on top of the maintenance is something that can be an enjoyable process every year, (you tend to spend as much time and money in a cold shed as you do on the water in the main season), however if you are brave enough to skip a few years or turn a blind eye on one or two of those little areas that need attention/maintenance jobs, you can find yourself in a whole heap of it..... 

Are they all worth it, hell yes, but time and some outlay are required, when compared to their GRP relatives, which are still never going to be net 0 with regards to that. 

So when you see these wooden boats, privately owned or on hire, doff your hat, give them a wave and think of the days when wooden windows and doors were a thing until UPVC came a long, and what the up keep on these were like. 

There are some cracking wooden boats still out there, a testament to the owners hard-work, deep pockets or both, though you don’t see so many even compared to 10-20 years ago that linger unforgotten, likely destined for the big boat bonfire in the sky. There are still a few hidden gems out there though tucked away in far distance corners of dry sheds or other places that are waiting for new custodians to give them a new life. 

• Like 2