Broom Flag

craigmc67

3 hours ago, gancanny said:

there are a fair number of boats on the broads flying the broom flag and showing the shiney broom badge which in fact have never seen the inside of the sheds at brundall

This is so true!

I've seen many ex-hire Skippers from other fleets with a bad paint job that have sprouted knock-off Broom badges.

In the early nineties when Broom was at its peak, even some of the boats in Broom's own hirefleet weren't actually built there as they didn't have the capacity.

• Like 1

The first pennant didnt last that long as it ripped so the second one we purchased we now cover when we are not onboard. It cost around £15 if I remember rightly so having to become a member at £25 a year plus whatever the pennant costs now is an expensive little bit of material!  

• Like 2

When we first bought Keleka I looked at the owners club but they operate a strict £25 per year or part of. Although they are perfectly clear about this up front there is also no online sign up and if you don't pay by cheque you have to contact them to arrange a BACS payment. I don't think of any of this as particularly unreasonable but it's all a bit last century for me.

I'm sure it's a well run organisation but I can't be bothered with faff for what is basically a shared interest club which excludes non members from resources.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Nope , as she was an Ocean 30 she was deemed not to be a Broom although many “Brooms” which are members were not built by themselves 

Not exactly the esprit de corps one would hope for in a club..... 

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Nope , as she was an Ocean 30 she was deemed not to be a Broom although many “Brooms” which are members were not built by themselves 

The problem is that the line is quite blurred about what was built when and by whom.

Broom actually used the 'Ocean' branding on some of their 90's builds (Ocean 34, 38 etc) but generally they were either moulded by Aquafibre and fitted out by a third party or by Aquafibre 'themselves' at one point such as with the Ocean 37. Whether these were actually fitted out at Rackheath or by a subcontractor I don't know.

Generally, though, it needs to be a production Broom model with the build plaque in the usual place. If yours was fitted out by Moonraker then that wouldn't qualify. Nor would a boat from the Broom hirefleet, even if fitted out at Broom rather than a subcontractor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad we have our plaque :)

28 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Generally, though, it needs to be a production Broom model with the build plaque in the usual place. If yours was fitted out by Moonraker then that wouldn't qualify. Nor would a boat from the Broom hirefleet, even if fitted out at Broom rather than a subcontractor.

96F8830A-C43C-4246-AD8D-EF5126320915.jpeg

• Like 3