New Desiel Rules

Andrewcook

Farmer Giles has not been able to supply you with Red Diesel legally for sometime unless he charged you the appropriate duty. So nothing will change there.

Private boaters have been paying the full rate of duty on Red diesel for sometime, on the portion that is used for propulsion and a lower rate for the Red diesel used for heating, otherwise known as the 60/40 split. This is due to continue after the 1st April when other sectors are also forced to pay the full rate of duty.

I wonder how long it will be before the hire yards increase the amount of fuel deposit they require. I've just checked how much we've paid on our 3 bookings. £120 on each boat, that's OK for our long weekend but it's not going to be enough for our 2 week long holidays. I've never had to pay any extra for fuel on top of our deposit ever. Sign of the times we are living in I guess. May come as a shock to some folk especially those that are on a tight budget and I'm sure there's plenty of them. 

19 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Yesterday  they said on the news,that fuel has stablelized. So hopefully  it want go any higher. 

I’m sure they’ll find a way!  I read this morning that the price of chicken is expected to rise by 30% due to the war in Ukraine, but I’m struggling to find the connection.  Must be a ruse to make us all turn veggie/vegan! :default_hiding:

18 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I hear adblue has shot up due to Ukraine being a big producer, glad we have an older diesel.

Not boat related though.

Hmm.. I'm keeping an eye on this: I think I'll start to smell a rat when I hear that Cheddar Cheese, Melton Mowbray pork pies, Somerset cider etc all start to go up in price.. all made in Ukraine of course. Call me cynical if you like. :default_ph34r:

3 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Hmm.. I'm keeping an eye on this: I think I'll start to smell a rat when I hear that Cheddar Cheese, Melton Mowbray pork pies, Somerset cider etc all start to go up in price.. all made in Ukraine of course. Call me cynical if you like. :default_ph34r:

You’re cynical!! 😉

But realistic, I think.  Bugger, we’re off to Cornwall in June.  I’ll bet the ruddy pasties go up too!! 

• Love 1

43 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I read this morning that the price of chicken is expected to rise by 30% due to the war in Ukraine, but I’m struggling to find the connection.

Russia and Ukraine account for over 25% of the worlds supply of wheat. The war has sent the price of wheat soaring around the world. Feed prices for poultry farmers have risen by 20 to 30% which will ultimately be passed on. Add in the effect of the cost of oil and gas increases which will effect everything that needs to be moved by road, processed in a factory, then moved to a supermarket.  

8 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I think I'll start to smell a rat when I hear that Cheddar Cheese, Melton Mowbray pork pies, Somerset cider etc all start to go up in price.

What makes you think that the producers of those products will not be affected by rising feed prices and the cost of fuel to process, transport and store those products at the right temperature. In this globally connected economy we are all affected. Your being delusional if you think they won't be going up!

• Like 1

my daily commute (if I were doing it at the moment) rose by £5.50 due to the increase in fuel costs, if you subtract the whole 5p, I will be 70p better off than before they did that, but still paying an extra £4.80 a day over what I was paying a few months back.

2 minutes ago, grendel said:

my daily commute (if I were doing it at the moment) rose by £5.50 due to the increase in fuel costs, if you subtract the whole 5p, I will be 70p better off than before they did that, but still paying an extra £4.80 a day over what I was paying a few months back.

The government will be benefiting massively from increased VAT revenue on rising prices, whether they be food, clothing or fuel.  5p reduction in fuel duty really is a drop in the ocean.

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

The government will be benefiting massively from increased VAT revenue on rising prices, whether they be food, clothing or fuel.  5p reduction in fuel duty really is a drop in the ocean.

The extra take from fuel duty caused by the recent increases is 4p, the corresponding increase in the VAT take is 1p,

All that is needed now if for the forecourts to pass on the savings they will make from the reduced cost fuel they will be buying now. It is the cost of fuel they ordered over the last month that we will carry on paying for, hopefully, short term.

As soon as Aldi and Morrisons reduce theirs the others will follow. Well that is the theory.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Agreed but all those grants, furlough, vaccinations etc has got to be paid back

Griff

I think this is the crux of it. Whatever is said and done, we have to pay back the eyewatering costs of Covid.

And it can't just fall on the shoulders of 'rich' people. 

Second home owners - you can pay ? ... so how long before they come after "floating" second home owners, ie boat owners ???

It will start with extra river licence fees, then move onto a form of Council Tax for moorings etc. You just wait - careful what you wish for when you say 'the rich must pay more' ...

36 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

I think this is the crux of it. Whatever is said and done, we have to pay back the eyewatering costs of Covid.

And it can't just fall on the shoulders of 'rich' people. 

Second home owners - you can pay ? ... so how long before they come after "floating" second home owners, ie boat owners ???

It will start with extra river licence fees, then move onto a form of Council Tax for moorings etc. You just wait - careful what you wish for when you say 'the rich must pay more' ...

Nope. Vote loser in their demographic. 
note that ni tax hike and income tax reduction plus 180 quid council tax rebate are a boon to those on unearned income.  Rents and pensions (private) will not effected by ni increase and you get to keep more dosh via income tax lowering. 
But if you can afford solar and heat pumps plus the required insulation then your quids in.