Rambling Rosie's Rambles

NeilB

1 hour ago, andyg said:

We moored in virtually the same spot last week Neil, first time I've been able to get a space at Neatishead. The white horse is definitely my new favourite pub on the broads. We had a wonderful meal in there. The wife was very impressed by their gin offerings. If I'm not mistaken that's golden bridge on the left in your photo. 

I like the Lion as well but the White horse is much closer, Sutton hotel is another good one.  Yes, it was Golden Bridge.

Richardson's seem to have a few more boats out this week but being half term I would have expected all of them to be out.  There was even a couple of spaces at the Ferry in Horning when I passed well after 6:30.

• Like 1

Don't keep us in suspense Neil. Did you manage to get back?

I glanced at the Barnes Brinkcraft webcam during a pause in work yesterday afternoon and it looked like there was only six and a half foot or so. Mind you, it was around high tide. I also caught a glimpse of what looked like a hire boat try lining up for the bridge (noooo!). Luckily they thought better of it.

p.s. Am I the only sad person who checks the state of the tides when looking at the webcams, and not on the Broads myself? 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, NeilB said:

I like the Lion as well but the White horse is much closer, Sutton hotel is another good one.  Yes, it was Golden Bridge.

Richardson's seem to have a few more boats out this week but being half term I would have expected all of them to be out.  There was even a couple of spaces at the Ferry in Horning when I passed well after 6:30.

The lion is another pub we enjoyed as well. Plenty of rickos boats heading back down the ant last Thursday. Them and woods seem to be very busy. 

1 hour ago, Tadlow said:

Richardsons main marina was completely empty when I drove past yesterday. 

Oh,good.  I left Wednesday afternoon so the must have had a few more go out on Thursday.

We were there two Sundays ago and it wasn't much quieter, we didn't have the music tho lol.. one thing I did notice and we were very pleased to witness, after everyone had gone home not a bit of litter left behind by all thoses having there picnics. So good to see ppl respecting there surroundings. 

• Like 2

Having been towed through Wroxham bridge last summer at 6ft 5 with zero steerage I can’t wait to take the old lady to Horsey. I remember when 7ft 3 used to worry me. In the face of adversity and so forth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Popped round to Sutton Staithe after finishing work for a double pump out and enquire when they can start on my boat.  Apparently there’s an old woody clogging up the boat shed…. :default_biggrin:  But shouldn’t be too long until my turn.

Nice quiet wild mooring below Irstead for the night along with chilli chicken sales and half bottle of red.

just arrived at Womack dyke so will wander up the village and have a drink or 2 at the Kings Arms to support the local economy! :default_beerchug:
Might even do a little more work to the boat when I return.

• Like 2

The old woody is currently clogging up half the shed and her port side is currently supporting hundreds of boaty bits that look better leaned up against something rather than just lying on the floor.

Robert is doing a fine job and I must say despite the expense it is wonderful to see Chris caressing bits of wood and eulogising about them…

We are getting some new oak ribs and all bits associated too, we are very excited to see her finished and floating however we are months away from that at this moment. I hope you get sorted soon Neil sorry for being a bed blocker 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kpnut said:

Won’t be joining you Neil, we stayed at Thurne Dyke seeing as neither of us had ever moored here before. 

The Lion is well worth the stop!

Might bump into you tomorrow as heading back to Stalham.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kpnut said:

by that barn just before Womack entrance. 

Just for info, that is Coldharbour Farm, where the artist Edward Seago used to moor his big seagoing cruiser as he couldn't get her up to his own moorings, on the south side of Womack water.  It is also where the original course of the river Ant, from Ludham Bridge, used to join the Thurne, along the course of the Hundred Stream.

The original course of the Bure went down Fleet Dyke and then looped back in a big meander up to what is now Ant Mouth.  The present river, going past St Benets Abbey, is a canal, dug out to cut the bend off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’ve often wondered whether the An t went along the Hundred stream. I was up there on the concrete track from st Benets a couple of weeks ago looking for ‘evidence’. I knew about the Bure and the straight bit by the abbey. I presume the loop on Fleet Dyke would have been where the river changes direction and sometimes people mudweight in the little inlet on the left hand bend. 
Many thanks. 

• Like 1

I am personally convinced that the course of the Bure went round north of the Holme, on which the abbey is built.  There is still a dyke running round there, which is all still clearly visible on Google satellite.  It would have been the natural course of a meandering alluvial river, which is what the Bure used to be in those days.  It would also explain the position of the gatehouse, with a river bridge leading to the causeway across to Horning.

Timbo and I had quite a long chat about this, in the forum archeology section a couple of years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've not updated for a while as been pottering around the northern rivers most weekends in between jobs on board.  Most of the recent hot weather was spent on Barton Broad funnelling a nice breeze through the boat and making new friends.

image.thumb.png.77c6a2650a17d94e0f305fe15c26443a.png

image.thumb.png.20180e4481525d01006d6779d4718a09.png

image.thumb.png.427b83e424e939e2f95ff098ce3ec34f.png

I'll be leaving Stalham just after 4pm today, heading for Fleet Dyke or mud weight on South Walsham Broad as need to pop into Marine Tech in the morning. 

Thought I'd give fair warning about the end of the summer sun - I'm fitting a solar panel so it's probably going to rain for 40 days and nights - sorry!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

Thought I'd give fair warning about the end of the summer sun - I'm fitting a solar panel so it's probably going to rain for 40 days and nights - sorry!

Should be alright Neil - St Swithens day was last Friday, but if the weather does turn, I know who to curse!!  😁😉

• Like 1