Rambling Rosie's Rambles

NeilB

With the boat show followed by a week in Sweden I've been the one doing the rambling!!  Rosie will have rambled up this slipway by now!

image.thumb.png.de374bea0014dc55ca1eff62a93f066f.png

I've spent a couple of nights in Warwick at the office and have just arrived at Cromer Country club for 3 nights at £45 per night.  I've not been here since my old boss owned a property here back in the late 80's, not sure what the site is like as not had a wander around but my studio is fantastic. 

Loads of room for 2 adults, fully fitted kitchen including dish washer and washing machine, I would say it's been fully refurbished in the last year.  I've paid £145 for basic hotel rooms before so I'm really pleased with this, especially as I have some clothes that need washing and wasn't expecting to be able to do these until Friday!

Fast 90mb wifi as I'll be working as well.

On Friday I'm staying at a friends holiday cottage for as long Rambling Rosie is being worked on.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Blimey, boat ownership, Sweden and now a Country Club. Is there something you wanna tell us? Numbers on the lottery come up or anything? Just asking :default_biggrin: 

I hope Rambling Rose gets done and dusted and you're back afloat soon x

Sweden is work, living on a boat is down to a divorce.  My wife got Hatfield House and the Queen Mary 2 !!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, NeilB said:

Sweden is work, living on a boat is down to a divorce.  My wife got Hatfield House and the Queen Mary 2 !!

Oh my goodness I am so sorry Neil. I was just kidding of course but sorry for my insensitive post, I will ask the pesky mods to take it down x

p.s No offense intended I promise you that :default_icon_kiss:

36 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Oh my goodness I am so sorry Neil. I was just kidding of course but sorry for my insensitive post, I will ask the pesky mods to take it down x

p.s No offense intended I promise you that :default_icon_kiss:

It's all done and dusted now Gracie and I was joking back, no offence anywhere so please leave it up.  I'll accept the kiss on the cheek though.... :default_eusa_dance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I hope you don't mind me asking Neil, but how do you find it living full time onboard ?? I guess the winter months will take some getting use to and adapting. I often watch Vaughans YouTube vids of his childhood on Thorpe Island and feel quite envious at times. It will be interesting to see how you get on. Looking forward to seeing Rosie new paint job. Best of luck. 

2 hours ago, NeilB said:

It's all done and dusted now Gracie and I was joking back, no offence anywhere so please leave it up.  I'll accept the kiss on the cheek though.... :default_eusa_dance:

Yeah well it's still something you've been through, painful, no matter how long ago it was or how done and dusted it is. I wish you well Neil and all the very best on your new journey in life

Here's another :default_icon_kiss: I don't dish them out very easily you know, so don't think you're  getting them all the ruddy time :default_biggrin: x

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, NeilB said:

With the boat show followed by a week in Sweden I've been the one doing the rambling!!  Rosie will have rambled up this slipway by now!

image.thumb.png.de374bea0014dc55ca1eff62a93f066f.png

I've spent a couple of nights in Warwick at the office and have just arrived at Cromer Country club for 3 nights at £45 per night.  I've not been here since my old boss owned a property here back in the late 80's, not sure what the site is like as not had a wander around but my studio is fantastic. 

Loads of room for 2 adults, fully fitted kitchen including dish washer and washing machine, I would say it's been fully refurbished in the last year.  I've paid £145 for basic hotel rooms before so I'm really pleased with this, especially as I have some clothes that need washing and wasn't expecting to be able to do these until Friday!

Fast 90mb wifi as I'll be working as well.

On Friday I'm staying at a friends holiday cottage for as long Rambling Rosie is being worked on.

Hope it all goes well, mate!  At least Rosie can’t catch woodworm from the biodegradable she’s sharing the shed with and you have the satisfaction of knowing yours will be the smaller invoice!

• Like 2

I did'nt move onboard until late June although I had a couple of chilly nights back in March.  She has an Eberspacher producing warm air and a Webasto giving hot water and running 4 x radiators, I also have a 2kw oil radiator and an couple of small 600w ones which are ideal for overnight in a bedroom when on shore power.  At present my marina have not increased the cost of electric so it's still fairly cheap.

Producing heat is not a problem, it's keeping it in so I've a cover being made for the canopy which should stop the worst of the draughts.

I'm glad I went for a larger boat though as it give's enough room for my children to have their own cabin when they visit.  Plus room for larger fridges/ freezer and washing machine.

I'll let you know how I get on in the depths of January and February!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Slow progress as awaiting Aquadrive parts, just a messy hole for now..

2C761721-535B-4FE2-8CB4-E0D73410B438.thumb.jpeg.eb25426b058db5ff6ba7e82df6b1f36e.jpeg

She was dragged out this morning so other work can be done while waiting.

281112F3-07CE-438D-98F2-2F53A9B8E9B3.thumb.jpeg.8ce002dfa478b21477534eb4ed02fc17.jpegE7CCC3AE-18BC-4232-86DD-6F1736EF7151.thumb.jpeg.74d599e4af5fb409b67f9b10e103334a.jpeg

Think I need a new prop!  I cannot choose between a 3 or a 4 blade though.  Anyone have any experience of going from 3 to 4 and what the difference in handling was like? Despite the condition this prop actually worked quite well so may stay with a 3 blade, just a new one.  

D659A9A3-B66D-4C4C-BF7B-2F7C7DBE0C16.thumb.jpeg.efe0faea8a649239bf3508e771cfa1ee.jpeg

• Like 3

If you want it repaired, I know a very good place in Hull.
A and E Woodward. look them up on the internet. 
I can easily take it up there and bring it back for you Neil if you’re going to be out of the water for a time. My next trip down will most likely be 20th to 25th nov and then 9th to 16th dec if they could fit it in between 26th nov and 8th dec. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, kpnut said:

If you want it repaired, I know a very good place in Hull.
A and E Woodward. look them up on the internet. 
I can easily take it up there and bring it back for you Neil if you’re going to be out of the water for a time. My next trip down will most likely be 20th to 25th nov and then 9th to 16th dec if they could fit it in between 26th nov and 8th dec. 

Isn’t there some lovely people on the forum at the moment that’s so nice of you Kate to offer to do that for someone. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the kind offer Kate, the prop is beyond repair though as it's lost a lot of its zinc and has become brittle.  A new 3 blade is about £450 and a 4 blade just over £600, just not convinced a 4 blade is worth the extra when the 3 blade works fine.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Aquadrive unit would not arrive until mid to late January so had a Google and we are now fitting a Python drive, basically a copy of an Aquadrive, the main difference being they actually have stock!

Engine has been dry fitted ok so Python drive being fitted next week and get everything plumbed up.  Going to need a new exhaust as this one is larger plus new wiring as you may have noticed the 2 x 120A alternators!

The hull still needs to be painted so not sure if it will be finished before Christmas or not, we'll see.

image.png.a243bc78dee2cb7db4d0b162b46a70ca.png

image.png.fa591b0b35399060f1036c790e3b0919.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Nearly there!  Down to a flexi gas pipe for the BSS and a small modification to the new stern cut out, to be followed by a full internal and exterior valet by the yard.

I couldn't resist taking her for a spin down Sutton Broad and back between the showers.  The new engine is so much quieter and I haven't even put the bed cushions back yet which should make it even better.  She was in a really tight spot and I did think twice about taking her out but the new thruster really helped, without it I would have had to pull her out of the berth.  The new prop has more of a kick to starboard than the old one so I'll have to try and remember that!

My kids are staying for a week over Easter so the the clock is ticking!

image.thumb.png.09b18cd801308402b0837dca64898fac.png

• Like 8
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back on board as of Wednesday, kids are here from next Thursday so need to get all my rubbish back into the nooks and crannies and clean ship.  Couldn’t resist a little cruise though so last night was at St Benets and just as the rain stopped I snagged a spot at Horning Staithe, 1st and probably last time this season!  Only me and a single hire boat at present.

Better crack on with the packing and cleaning I suppose, trying to resist popping into the Swan for a swift one!

55FF2B57-8B36-4422-8CF9-F45F3CB774E6.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Don't resist for too long Neil.......you can't bag the prime spot on the green and not pop in for a pint!

Rambling Rosie is looking great! Money well spent.

The weather forecast is looking promising over Easter, have a lovely week with your children.

• Like 1

I’m afraid I didn’t resist for long but only had a couple and went back to working and prepping the boat for Easter.

Next morning I headed back up the Ant with a short stay at Irstead Staithe, followed by a top to bottom wash at my home mooring.

Spent a couple of days in the office and left at 4pm today to pick up the kids, Warwick to Stalham took 4 hrs which included a stop for a bite to eat, traffic was busy but not as bad as I expected.

Few chores to do Friday morning plus another shopping trip before heading off to either Stokesby or Stracey.  Plan is for a very early start on Saturday to catch low tide, we’ll see!

D5F1E603-B99F-4500-89EA-9D0477562C4C.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 2

I usually avoid Stalham Tescos on Fridays and Saturdays in the season but didn’t have much choice, managed to get everything except ice cream, the entire freezer was empty!

Managed to cast of around 12:30, popping into Sutton Staithe for a pump out and headed down the Ant.  Still fairly quiet, St Benets and Acle free moorings we’re full although both The Bridge Inn and The Ferry at Stokesby had spaces.  At Stracey there were only 4 boats overnight, including us.

Set alarm and cast off around 5:30, no moon but visibility was good and had full daylight by the outskirts of Yarmouth.  Breydon was still ebbing very slightly so set speed at about 5mph, by the time I reached the other side it had started to flood.

Stopped at StOlaves for a leg stretch and a cuppa, not sure who won the auction for the old Alpha yard but nothing appears to have been touched yet?

Popped into Oulton to dispose of some rubbish and spent the evening at Petos Marsh with a Spaghetti Bolognese & Mulan on Disney+.  Malcolm (Mouldy) is on the opposite bank with Norfolk Lady!

Beccles bound tomorrow!

B924FEC9-A928-4469-AB0D-3F1D194B99C6.jpeg

82D52454-8580-4F57-931B-083A37AFEA20.jpeg

• Like 9

11 hours ago, NeilB said:

. . . . . . . . . .Malcolm (Mouldy) is on the opposite bank with Norfolk Lady!

Thought that might have been you, Neil!  We did think about joining you, but thought that as you had your youngsters with you, you’d prefer to spend the time with them.

• Like 1