Rambling Rosie's Rambles

NeilB

Bit more of a leisurely start today, noticed Malcolm had already set off by the time we surfaced.

Arrived in Beccles about 10:30 and decided to stay at the Yacht station as the tides would have kept us at the Lido moorings until late and we had other plans.  The Lido was only a 10 minute walk anyway.  Although the sun had made an appearance it was still a tad chilly but the Lido is heated to a fairly warm temperature and we had a nice swim and splash about.  There were a few people there and I overheard someone say it’s pretty busy over summer and requires pre booking.  It was bloody cold when we exited the pool, nearly turned around and went back in!!  The timetable is a mix of lane and general swimming and I would recommend a visit.

Stocked up on some sausage rolls for lunch at the yacht station cafe, daughter went straight for the ice cream!  Topped up with water and then headed back downstream.

Tomorrow is looking a little grim so decided to return north a day earlier than planned.  Currently moored at the new Burgh castle moorings for the early low tide.  This evenings entertainment was provided by a rather blue looking Will Smith in Aladdin.  The main food event was a home made quiche which was a big hit with the kids.

And no, I’ve no idea how my daughter sees through that fringe either!  

B51F5F13-D24F-44A0-84F9-007AEE0C110B.jpeg

23124E86-4732-4045-BA6D-9F6B7F8D335F.jpeg

A179E5D0-C6A4-456A-8368-3513738063C8.jpeg

F6E960AA-4D83-48E5-8F41-E1B50E5B9158.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

What a wet and yucky day, even the ducks have had enough!

Set off from Burgh castle around 7:30 which was a challenge due to the low water and high bank.  I’d left it until the ebb had slowed down and arranged the lines so only 1 was holding the boat and this could be released from the cockpit.

Low water was supposed to be 06:21 but there was still a reasonable flow still exiting past the yacht station at 8:30.

Had a short stop at Stokesby to relieve the shop of some sausage rolls and cakes for later.  Decided to stop at Thurne dyke and was buttoned up by lunch time.  My son carried on with his A level studies while Sadie and myself watched the Incredibles 2 followed by a marathon session of dominoes!

Dinner was courtesy of The Lion which was up to its usual standards.  Not many photos today due to the weather, see if you can guess this evenings film?

7EE6A5FA-782D-4242-B561-D729B5BACEF5.jpeg

4109279B-7FB0-41B6-B7C9-5CB59D3B3DFB.jpeg

• Like 5

No idea about the film Neil (home alone?), not my forte at all I’m afraid, proved every week at the Friday quiz😂 SwanR on the other hand is usually hot on the film round. 

But I had to comment on you swimming at the Lido in Beccles. How brave was that? I can’t bear the thought of getting wet when I’m nice and dry, having a shower is bad enough, and especially when the air’s cold. 

Now you’re back North,  I’ll keep an eye out for you. Sounds like you’re having fun with the kids. 

• Like 2

Last full day on Tuesday, where did that  go?

Had a bit of a lie in this morning, didn’t wake until 8am.  Headed into Wroxham for an ice cream and then back to my home mooring in Stalham.  Saw Kate coming through Ludham bridge and then Sam frantically waving at Irstead Staithe.  Forecast is not great for tonight, although the strong winds have not made an appearance the rain certainly has!

Driving the kids home will take up most of tomorrow, but I still have a few days holiday left and a list of jobs to do!

0574E36F-B5C9-4923-A223-E69FC5E78DDA.jpeg

7F509684-56F2-4FFC-A22A-6D9DA141880E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Managed a fairly early start so after a coffee with the ex was back at the boat by around 4pm.  Set the washing machine going on it’s first load and had a general tidy up etc.

Popped into Tesco the next morning for a few bits and pieces as the kids had done a good job on my cupboards! And why do they always use so much toilet roll? :default_huh:
Arrived at a very windy St Benets and started work on my first job - removing curtains and fitting Venetian blinds to the lounge area.  As usual not as simple as it sounds as one side has the gas pipe running behind the pelmet, luckily this could be repositioned without disturbing any joints.  Also a struggle as this side is quite long but eventually it was in place.  Think I’ll do the other side tomorrow now!!

524D22E4-5B13-4731-AB47-CD41FC385C75.jpeg

64106AFD-2246-4F28-B5B8-F55F4120B660.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 2

I did have a bit of a lie in Friday morning as needed to catch up on sleep.  Fitted the 2nd blind in record time although it does need a catch to hold the bottom of the blind as it’s a bit close to whoever decides to sit there!

Fancied eating out tonight so headed for Stokesby as I’ve not tried The Ferry yet. Managed to squeeze in behind Kpnut who was off on one of her marathon walks.

Set to scrubbing the rear well, no idea what the previous owner has spilled here but its taking ages to remove.  Made some progress but will need more attention.  Gave the area a compound and polish as well.  This was when Kate appeared with me covered in splotches of compound paste so had a chat for a while.

Food in the Ferry was ok and I would eat there again, although the White Horse at Neatishead is still my favourite.  Addams Southwold bitter went down a treat though!

Next day my destination was Roy’s DIY for a few bits and pieces.  My plan was thwarted as there was no space at Brinkcraft and the Hotel wanted £10 for a 30 minute stop.  The bridge was looking a little tight plus I’d have to lower the nav mast and WiFi antenna.

Currently moored on Wroxham island so will try again tomorrow.  If not I’ll pop in by car next time I’m passing.

Now, I’ve been visiting the Broads for 50 years and have lived here nearly a year.  But I have never had a Heron approach me like this before, he, (or she), even stood on the boat and never moved while I took the photo.  

64FD8457-8CD6-4421-B862-7403575C2DFA.jpeg

DBB185AD-1E31-462C-8866-48FB924C28D5.jpeg

769189ED-61E5-4BA0-92EA-08735C220684.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

Now, I’ve been visiting the Broads for 50 years and have lived here nearly a year.  But I have never had a Heron approach me like this before, he, (or she), even stood on the boat and never moved while I took the photo.  

64FD8457-8CD6-4421-B862-7403575C2DFA.jpeg

DBB185AD-1E31-462C-8866-48FB924C28D5.jpeg

Must be satisfying to know that you can still pull a long legged bird even now, though Neil!  :default_hiding:

• Haha 7

• 3 weeks later...

I've been out and about most weekends, flying the flag, meeting new people, gate crashing party's and boat parades etc from Potter up to Coltishall.

This weekend I'll head towards the St Benets / Fleet Dyke area for tonight and hopefully Potter by mid morning.  As the weather is looking good the plan is to take the dinghy through the bridge and do some exploring for a few hours.

The following weekend is the NBN meet which I'm really looking forward to, followed by 4 days at work and then 10 days off work where I'll be heading down south.

image.png.a6f12c9bd78bb9a822b392a3fa675e4d.png

image.png.528313e17c3e1786e5f9a9755a96de6e.png

image.png.f21b597f4464f68bea818ab4bbc91347.png

image.png.dd7b82a327f4a28114f1f5914849b391.png

image.png.ed7de25cfc3450187ea3bf5317fe5be3.png

image.png.af47c557fceae44268ba489acb466cae.png

image.png.dbf5a5d79da33b415bbab8d40b933d37.png

image.png.ef2732b4959af351a7a7fc69f54734d2.png

• Like 3

Mind the paddle boards at Potter. They go through the bridge so if you time it right rub some rouge or beetroot on your forehead and cheeks splash water on your face and row your dingy like crazy through the bridge. Should get rapturous applause :default_biggrin:. Have a good weekend. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you off to this fine evening Neil?

I was washing my hair, looked out of the window and recognised a smart dinghy going by. You were too far past to call you!!!
It’s a stunning evening for a cruise. 

• Like 2