Rambling Rosie's Rambles

NeilB

Bacon & brie ciabatta was ok although a bit light on bacon, price was very reasonable though.  Resisting the urge for an afternoon nap after 2 pints of Trawlerboys I set off again towards Norwich to see how far I could get.

No sign of Physic Surveyor, must have known I was coming :default_coat: Just his laundry drying!

Surlingham Ferry was completely full and by luck I’ve managed to moor in the last space at Bramerton.  Several boats are circling!  Hopefully it will be quieter tomorrow once the weekenders have headed home.

466C78A8-82E6-460C-9ADA-6181ECB5AC18.jpeg

58825F3F-9B2C-4EC0-A440-1EB79C33B973.jpeg

D906129F-4AA1-4A1E-B45C-A60689C62299.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I agree Rockland Staithe and the New Inn are both brilliant. If there's no room at the Staithe or you fancy a quieter spot, the pub is an easy walk from the Short Dyke moorings on the way in to the Broad.

Get in this year at the new Inn as Terry is leaving in November,  they are not renewing  the lease so may not be open next year if they don't get a new Tennant. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Get in this year at the new Inn as Terry is leaving in November,  they are not renewing  the lease so may not be open next year if they don't get a new Tennant. 

That’s very sad news.

Spotted you at rockland as we moved off, if I'd Spotted you earlier would  have said hi.

We'd had a good night in the pub and cleared them of Newcastle brown,  went for a wee and all I could do was a why aye.....

We were over by the outfall.

7 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Spotted you at rockland as we moved off, if I'd Spotted you earlier would  have said hi.

We'd had a good night in the pub and cleared them of Newcastle brown,  went for a wee and all I could do was a why aye.....

We were over by the outfall.

Princess 30?  I saw the boat but didn’t realise it was you.  Bit tight in there with 42ft and a dinghy when single handed.  Luckily very sheltered so she went exactly where I wanted her to!

• Like 1

my abiding memory of rockland, was sitting watching the skipper of a boat advising all newcomers that boats dont steer in reverse and giving them all sorts of useful suggestions, of how to moor up properly, when much to his chagrin Griff in Broad Ambition turns up reversing down the dyke approach and neatly turns straight into the single remaining gap, just as he pops his head up to shout more useful advice, seeing him standing there with his mouth wide open and jaw hitting the deck was a sight to behold - boats dont steer in reverse indeed!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Rambling Rosie does steer in reverse but only when moving at a reasonable speed and she’s not very responsive, some boats are better than others.  Now I have the bow thruster which makes steering in reverse a doddle.

• Like 2

Took a cruise into Norwich this morning, again not been there by boat since a teenager.  Quite a mixture of old and new buildings but I wonder how much longer the old one will be there for,  I believe there are plans afoot…

Sadly a couple of Freedoms old hire boats are still in Thorpe and looking a little worse for wear.

Popped to Tesco Express for a few bits, had a wander around the cathedral and, not quite by chance I admit, stumbled across, or should I say into, probably the oldest pub in Norwich.

After a little light refreshment I walked back to the boat and headed off, not sure where I would end up. Surlingham Ferry was full so kept going, quick google showed Coldham Hall was not doing any food so I’m now in Rockland dyke and headed for the New Inn again. Lots of boats heading up to the Staithe and returning, the section with mooring posts is full and spilling over to the rest of the dyke.

Quite a few boats have appeared from up north and it does seem quite busy.

EEEBB4C8-C5FC-4C06-BA12-530D56058CC2.jpeg

29BB14A6-FA5E-4547-A4CE-EEC15A5D76B1.jpeg

61026932-C080-46A2-9508-C0169834FC14.jpeg

3E66A8BF-0600-455F-A16A-DD831E3D60CB.jpeg

A3E6E930-CCD2-4392-8992-3C6EAAA10927.jpeg

AB0098AD-2A1A-4272-BB47-66A171D2CF93.jpeg

0099CE34-C9CB-4E5F-9F57-75B2B2C2C53C.jpeg

01ACC8E7-3152-46F8-9E28-CA87FD8D6428.jpeg

3A440D41-E99F-459E-ACA2-EFE304532A4D.jpeg

2643D664-A579-4558-AAAB-53930A3D8860.jpeg

• Like 8

Walked to the New Inn only to be told they stopped serving at 6pm tonight.  That’s ok I said, it’s only 5:30.  Apparently I was mistaking Normal time for Norfolk time and the kitchen was closed!! 

Oh we’ll, bit peed off but I need the exercise and have plenty of food onboard ! 

• Sad 2

Bit of a difference in the weather today so no photos yet.  Been sat at Polkeys Mill for an hour or so waiting for the tide to be just right through Yarmouth, think I’ll be off in a few minutes.

No real plan, I’ll wing it and see where I end up!

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

Bit of a difference in the weather today

You’re right. I went out without my coat and have been rained on, only slight but the sort that soaks in!  So a visit to the Kings Arms at Ludham was needed. 

• Like 1

Nice and choppy across Breydon so Rosie had a fun crossing and stretched her legs.  Going to need to wash the salt off the windscreens in the morning!  Even though I arrived at the yacht station 1 hour after low water I was still punching the flow, albeit weak, for a couple of miles.  Cannot complain too much as I’ve been lucky with the tides so far.

Nice to see the yacht station virtually full, Acle only has a few gaps and no one has been to collect a mooring fee yet!

Currently sitting in the Bridge Inn pondering where to go tomorrow, maybe Potter and then Horning the next day for a visit to Boulters for some go go juice.

DFEF188D-820A-4C11-98D8-3E4592D4A0B5.jpeg

58234A3D-DA74-4CEB-BB60-516C598C6234.jpeg

4A3958C0-CDDF-4205-BE62-47B64089B3B7.jpeg

• Like 9

Yes I did make the epic journey from Acle to Potter on Wednesday, did pretty much nothing all day apart from some cleaning and tidying up!

Today I visited Boulters for 102 litres of fuel followed by a stop at Wroxham for some shopping where I spotted some interesting cider!

Naturally it started drizzling just as I dropped the roof to go under the bridge, just over 7ft at high tide! Surprisingly quiet at the Wroxham moorings but Coltishall was full, I was headed for the lock where I was the only boat present.  Bliss!

E453AEEE-EB02-411D-8AD8-9134CC1E1F6F.jpeg

6E87E3BC-F822-4A03-89ED-1BB54F7A977E.jpeg

955F582F-C81A-45C8-8852-338DC28541AB.jpeg

0D46F495-0AE1-4A11-9916-E59487E1C37C.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Coltishall Lock always seems like the secret place that no-one else knows exists. It's like the Rising Sun creates a sort of false limit of navigation where everyone thinks they have to turn around.

Why would you go past a pub?????

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I’ve not posted much as it’s been more of the same really, most weekends I potter about between Stalham, Potter and Wroxham.

I’ve had the kids onboard for a week and had a brief trip down south to Geldestone and back.  Also visited Wells for a beach day and a couple of wild moorings and an evening / night cruise.

Had 2 sets of friends onboard including a rather boozy weekend, our excuse was the weather was bad so we had to retreat to the pub!

11 days were spent working at the Southampton boatshow, split between the stand and our borrowed demo boat.  We had a couple of windy days so had to remove the boat from the show as we had an exposed position.  The RN patrol boat took 3 attempts and really struggled as the wind was blowing us on.  We just used the IPS system to go sideaways and we’re out in a jiffy while they watched!!  One in the eye for those who seem to dislike it for some reason.

I spent last night at the Horning church mooring.  Walked to the Ferry and had quite a nice evening meal, followed by a spooky walk back through the graveyard in the pitch black!  No ghosts but plenty of cobwebs!!

Mudweighted on Barton at the moment having a bit of a tidy up session before heading back to home mooring.

Sweden next week to play about on more boats learning about new stuff, followed by a week in the office, then I have another weeks holiday so will be heading south again.

IMG_1419.jpeg

IMG_1426.jpeg

IMG_1460.jpeg

IMG_1475.jpeg

IMG_1489.jpeg

IMG_1505.jpeg

IMG_1517.jpeg

IMG_1519.jpeg

IMG_1558.jpeg

IMG_1559.jpeg

IMG_1585.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• 5 months later...

Not updated this in a while!!  From end of October, apart from a short cruise at Christmas I’ve not cruised much, mainly due to the poor weather and very high water levels.

As the forecast was fairly dry for this weekend I decided a cruise was in order.  Planning to leave at 4pm I was delayed about an hour by a work issue that needed sorting.  Cruised across Barton while the sun was setting and currently at How Hill.  Quite noisy here actually!  There was a murmation of birds flapping about with a couple of pro looking photographers trying to shoot them.  Something screeching in the grounds of How Hill and something I’ve not heard before, the booming of a Bittern!!  
Not sure where I’ll end up tomorrow, just cruise and see what takes my fancy!

IMG_1887.jpeg

IMG_1888.jpeg

IMG_1890.jpeg

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1898.jpeg

• Like 11