Water Rail Out And About.

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Glad to hear that. . . . 

I was just thinking that your photo is an example of how beauty is only skin deep!

Considering I filled it to a depth to meet the filler from the other side... 

No this is a temporary beatification so it looks good at the wooden boat show,  as it's a nice day its out with the sandpaper and varnish next, the cabin sides are looking properly  scruffy.

My mind was made up, I was going to start heading down river, with the plan for today to mudweight at salhouse or Ranworth,  or  Moor up somewhere in between.  At salhouse, I decided to carry on and see if there was a space at Horning,  the answer was no, so my next choice was Horning Church, that was free, so I have moored up here, I got a friendly greeting from Chilton lady as she passed , something to do with not falling in.. so I am here for the day now, getting ready to do some sanding and varnishing. Hoping for at least one cabin side.

• Like 7

And just so that Helen doesn't feel she is the only one that can make mistakes, I will recount a little incident from this mornings transit of Wroxham bridge,   I was approaching the bridge when someone on the terrace pointed out the rope hanging from the starboard centre cleat, I had forgotten to retrieve the small mudweight I had deployed there, I quickly stepped over and hauled it out, approaching the bridge all the time, looked up to see the forward roof on a collision course with the bridge, so I stepped over and applied full reverse, the cabin roof stopped  about an inch in front of the bridge.

Small distractions causing near disaster, yes indeed. I could have just left it there until I got through the bridge, as it was I reversed back and got through on the second try. Bridge height was showing about 6'4" on the boards.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, grendel said:

And just so that Helen doesn't feel she is the only one that can make mistakes, I will recount a little incident from this mornings transit of Wroxham bridge,   I was approaching the bridge when someone on the terrace pointed out the rope hanging from the starboard centre cleat, I had forgotten to retrieve the small mudweight I had deployed there, I quickly stepped over and hauled it out, approaching the bridge all the time, looked up to see the forward roof on a collision course with the bridge, so I stepped over and applied full reverse, the cabin roof stopped  about an inch in front of the bridge.

Small distractions causing near disaster, yes indeed. I could have just left it there until I got through the bridge, as it was I reversed back and got through on the second try. Bridge height was showing about 6'4" on the boards.

Do you think the boards are correct Grendel ? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, grendel said:

Considering I filled it to a depth to meet the filler from the other side... 

No this is a temporary beatification so it looks good at the wooden boat show,  as it's a nice day its out with the sandpaper and varnish next, the cabin sides are looking properly  scruffy.

I didn't realise you were such a religious person Grendel :default_rofl:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

I didn't realise you were such a religious person Grendel :default_rofl:

I will come back to that with tho often used phrase in the quiz, autocorrect. 

• Haha 3

Well one side has thinned varnish applied to allow it to soak in, none of that cheap thinners either, genuine turpentine, which should also go some way to protecting the wood. Before and after pictures ( the before is the other side I haven't done yet - because I forget to get 3 picture.. I have just checked my power bank and after using the sander, in the time it took to varnish, with the sun today its already back to 98%.

20240617_122150.jpg

20240617_122211.jpg

20240617_122214.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, grendel said:

I have just realised the  pi tures don't really show that well as one side (the one I have done) is in shadow

I have tried to remaster out your shadow.

20240617_122211.thumb.jpg.69834324bd546ece3348aa6a1cefbb69.thumb.jpg.f8420342851a0686c09ca1f8417c215f.jpg

20240617_122214.thumb.jpg.e1de9d18b406d305e62e61008ecddfcf.thumb.jpg.4212e5676b356597f44045b33c45e392.jpg

• Like 3

It's changed again, I have now got a second full varnish coat on both sides, about 1/3 of a tin left, I also strummed the weeds that were growing over the wooden path, after a lady walking her dogs was saying there is a group of villagers who trim the churchyard.

17186350331292193584545851090084.jpg

17186350615044316364737588646540.jpg

17186350936656694440220955461744.jpg

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, grendel said:

I also strummed the weeds that were growing over the wooden path

And another, nice tune? 
I got the shears out on the bit going up the steep bit a couple of weeks ago as it was impossible to walk up without getting stung by nettles. 
It’s probably grown over the path again by now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

. . . . I also strummed the weeds . . . . …

4 minutes ago, kpnut said:

And another, nice tune? 

A guitar or ukulele might be easier to get a tune out of! :default_hiding:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

Sorry Grendel but do coats of varnish and strimmers mix ? She looks great so well done you.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Maybe he's putting it on with a strimmer :default_biggrin::default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

And another, nice tune? 
I got the shears out on the bit going up the steep bit a couple of weeks ago as it was impossible to walk up without getting stung by nettles. 
It’s probably grown over the path again by now.

The lady came down carrying a pair of secateurs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Grindelwald how often  do you have to do the Varnish on Water Rail and it is water proof 

Well that's a good question, if you can get ,5 or 6 coats on, it may still look reasonable a year later in then you just add a coat, yes it's an oil based varnish so waterproof once dry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Grindelwald how often  do you have to do the Varnish on Water Rail and it is water proof 

Water Rail came out the water last year for a proper paint and varnish but, once ashore, we found some more serious issues that had to take priority. Those repairs highlighted some other problems that we agreed could be postponed and, so as to not lose the season, she had a quick revarnish with the intention of building up the finish over the summer. Then the weather didn't play ball and she never got the decent protection she needed. 

This winter she'll be inside for some major surgery....

• Like 10

For something to do after having a look round the boat yesterday evening,  I changed out some crocodile clips between the shore power battery  charger and the house bank, replacing them with crimped and heatshrunk lugs ( part of the standard boat equipment  that stays ready packed for every trip) then noticing a water level difference in the  bilge, cleared out some drainage holes through  a beam under the engine, and all was good again. Early  start again this morning,  by 5.30 I was using the glass vac to suck up the dew on the top of the boat, it does a great job at this, I usually charge it up when on shore power, but my solar generator  would also accomplish this, one charge usually let's me do the whole boat for 3 or 4 days.

I have had a coffee,  just contemplating  cooking some cheese and bacon turnovers for  breakfast. 

• Like 9

Made a snap decision, potter Heigham ho...

Departed 8.30 am, the intention was to see if lathams had some varnish. A slow 4.5 mph tootle doe

Wn the river against zà rising tide, arrived at Potter, there was a space, but one of the boats moved up so I let the boat behind have it, there were 2 20 foot spaces in front of and behind one cruiser, never mind. Back downriver, got several hundred  yards and then turned for a second run, the blocking cruiser was moving down, excellent, room for me then.

Off to lathes, and not only did they have the varnish, it was also the same brand, excellent. Then put the kettle on while I waited on a marthàms boat to clear the water  point (£2 for water) they cleared before the  kettle boiled, so I waited, made my coffee then went and got water- it's a nice fast tap too)

Water obtained I set off back down the thurne, hung a left onto the bure and headed down to Acle bridge, managed to bag a space  right next to an electric post that had one meter that had £1,41 credit on it plugged in and settled down for a quiet afternoon, varnishing. Canopy is up for some shade, and so I can varnish behind the support location from when it's duwn.

• Like 2