Water Rail Out And About.

Water Rail strikes again, after several good days cruising leading up to the spring meet, I decided to take her up to coltishall locks, all went well, Andi got there nicely and smoothly, where I had a coffee, and made myself some lunch. After about an hour I decided to head back down river and see if belaugh church staithe was still free, only as I was coming downstream, I thought I had picked up some weed as the engine faltered, reversed the prop to clear it, and proceeded on my way.after passing the pub andother moorings it did it again, this time I suspected the weed filter, so checked that, - clear. Checked fuel level, still about 3 gallons left, shouldn't be an issue, added a gallon to be sure. Started up seemed fine, for a few minutes anyway, but as I was approaching belaugh staithe it cut out, it restarted, but cut out when put on tickover, just stopped again, next item on the checklist, fuel filter,that was removed, found to be clear and refitted, fuel was pumped up to fill the filter and then it was the turn of the injectors, I went to bleed these, and nothing, there was nothing coming out. At this point I had run out of tests to do and called Dave.

• Sad 5

Glad to hear it Grendel. We had a similar issue when taking Water Rail over one time. We couldn’t work out why we couldn’t start her. Dave had to come and sort us out, bless him. It turned out to be the linkage to the stop button, so hopefully if that happens again when we are on board, Graham will remember what to do. (It is a while since we were though.)

• Like 1

I think I have found the cause of the problem, on a hunch I rigged the rescue ladder and took a swim, water was lovely and warm, round the junction of prop and hull I found this, it took 3 trips under the hull to untangle this, but it was pulling tight and wedging between the prop and the shaft mount, this was probably the cause of the engine slowing and stopping, funny I can't remember running over a paddle boarder, but it's not helpful when they leave straps in the water.

IMG_20220522_191701.jpg

• Like 4

The last time I did any serious lengths underwater was probably only 10 years ago, I used to worry the lifeguards at the local pool as they had lanes and you were supposed to swim lengths, I could regularly get 1  1/2 to 2 lengths by hyperventilation before I started, deep breaths until you felt the tingles indicating that the blood was highly oxygenated, I don't think I could do that well any more, but a few 40 second trips under a boat to untangle a strap from the prop isn't such a big effort.

• Like 6

Well a short trip from bridge broad to wroxham staithe, moored up next to peters joy, and headed into town to Roy's, made a few purchases, and now just sitting enjoying an apple and ginger juice drink, soon to head back under the bridge and start my days travels properly.

• Like 2

After a fairly short (for me) cruise, I took a fancy to mooring up at st Benedict's church horning, I have never moored here before, and it seemed a good opportunity. Whether I stay just for lunch or overnight remains to be seen.

• Like 4

Well I ended up heading up the ant, toward wayford bridge, as it was tipping it down I decided not to go through to dilham, there is dredging going on at the next bend after hunsett mill, it's quite tight on the corner, the signs say up to 1 hour delays, but I was allowed straight through.

I ended up on a wild mooring just by the 4 mph limit post just before wayford, I decided the gap on the bank looked Water Rail shaped, and it was a perfect snug fit.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, grendel said:

The last time I did any serious lengths underwater was probably only 10 years ago, I used to worry the lifeguards at the local pool as they had lanes and you were supposed to swim lengths, I could regularly get 1  1/2 to 2 lengths by hyperventilation before I started, deep breaths until you felt the tingles indicating that the blood was highly oxygenated, I don't think I could do that well any more, but a few 40 second trips under a boat to untangle a strap from the prop isn't such a big effort.

Grendel what really worried the life guards was you launching Water Rail in their pool so you could swim your lengths underneath her.:default_biggrin:.

Kindest regards Marge and Parge 

3 hours ago, grendel said:

Well I ended up heading up the ant, toward wayford bridge, as it was tipping it down I decided not to go through to dilham, there is dredging going on at the next bend after hunsett mill, it's quite tight on the corner, the signs say up to 1 hour delays, but I was allowed straight through.

I ended up on a wild mooring just by the 4 mph limit post just before wayford, I decided the gap on the bank looked Water Rail shaped, and it was a perfect snug fit.

Hello,  you passed us when we were moored at Barton Turf.  The weather is a joke.  What happened to all that lovely sunny weather. 

Glad you found some sanctuary in all this madness and by gum we have seen some beyond belief incidents these past days.  You could not make it up. 

Take care. 

We are going to try Stalham BA moorings tomorrow as Julie wants to nip to Tesco and then we are going to head to Sutton Staithe as we fancy eating out tomorrow and it's a nice spot for the dogs 

If you do head up that way tomorrow, be nice to see you

Enjoy

On 22/05/2022 at 17:50, grendel said:

All fine now, it turned out it wouldn't fire because I hadn't pushed the engine stop all the way down, the original issue seems to be fixed, and I have got under way again, chalk the no start to user error.

We had a similar problem when we first got Genesis. Wouldn’t start after a stop at paddy’s lane. Turned out we hadn’t pushed the engine stop completely back down. Previous boat turned off directly on the key. Phoned for help and was told to check engine stop. Started fine afterwards. 
Schoolboy error. Always check now before starting 

• Like 1

Well it looks like I will need to make contact with civilisation again today, guess which idiot left his phone sitting smack under a drip from the roof last night, and now it's not interested in turning back on., It was only a £25 phone so no great issue, I had a lovely peaceful night, lulled to sleep by the patter of the rain, and though we have had a few showers already this morning, it's looking to be a fair day ahead.