Water Rail Out And About.

On 16/08/2022 at 18:03, grendel said:

It so I headed to potter heigham, just in time to see Judith M preparing to transit the bridge ( they made it just) at 6'2.5", I was 1/2 " too tall (and with the river height still rising I wasn't going to risk not getting back.) Anyway I missed their transit as all the moorings were full, and I was mooring up in HW's, only to find it was a turnaround day. (Every day is except for Wednesday and Thursday apparently) anyway I needed fuel, so i filled up 32 litres £59 odd.

Then popped across the road to Latham's to see if they did radio's, no, nor alarm clocks apparently.

Back aboard and set sail for wroxham (Roy's would have radio's - and they did not disappoint). 

Up to wroxham, fairly uneventful journey, except for being overtaken every time I slowed to the speed limit. I had the canopy down anyway, so dropped the mast down as I passed wroxham broad. Into wroxham and straight through the bridge (6'9" no problem). Then into Roy's for the radio, Roy's DIY for some other bits, and sausage and chips from the chippy.

Back to the boat to eat my chips, and it started spitting, as I was going to be headed back through the bridge I didn't bother with the roof, so got wet. Through the bridge again and got wet again then it was just a chug down the bure to the pumping station, where I have just arrived and moored up, a lot of traveling,

Rain has started up again, so roof up, time for tea.

Hi Grendel nice to meet you at HWs amongest all the turnaround chaos!You were lucky to escape when you did, we were asked to pay a visitors mooring fee,

Regards Kevin

Lol, no they got me when I paid for the fuel.

Anyway a short time later Dave showed up in Chloe Jane and we towed back to the houseboat on oulton broad where I am moored up for the night. While here I have had a go on a paddle board, it's not as easy as it looks but I did manage to paddle right around the houseboat, sitting down then managed to stand up to get back out of the water.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, grendel said:

Lol, no they got me when I paid for the fuel.

Anyway a short time later Dave showed up in Chloe Jane and we towed back to the houseboat on oulton broad where I am moored up for the night. While here I have had a go on a paddle board, it's not as easy as it looks but I did manage to paddle right around the houseboat, sitting down then managed to stand up to get back out of the water.

And there was me poised with camera awaiting the splash! So apologies forumites, for possibly the first time in his extra curricular boating activities, Grendel came back dry :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

We’ll that’s a lot cheaper, less than half, than we paid last month in Barnes Brinkcraft.

Barnes have signs around the place advertising mooring fees for private craft.  I can’t honestly remember what they charge, but I think it’s £7.50 until about 17:00 and £15 overnight.  Unless you find a hose switched over to staff use, it’s £1 in the slot for about 5 minutes for water.

There’s a sign as you enter Woods yard with mooring fees and they charge about £4 per hour during the day!  With the loss of the ‘quiet’ moorings and the BA ones being a little too close the the exit of Woods yard with the risks involved with craft exiting there, paying to moor in the yard can add massively to the cost of visiting the ‘Temple of Tat’ to spend your 99p!! 

• Like 1

well a finale to the tale, i spent a comfortable night moored to the houseboat, this morning was spent tidying up and packing everything then it was loaded onto the day boat and i was ferried to the yacht station, where i loaded the car and headed for home.

Water rail is going to get her sump drained and flushed with fresh oil, and then checked to see if there is any damage, if the engine is ok, the injector pump will be rebuilt, and things will be fine.

if the engine is toast Dave has a BMC that will be fitted.

• Like 3

At least the engine revved up and stopped, with a sump full of fuel it could have ran away with itself and done a proper destruction job, fresh oil and a pump rebuild and it'll probably be fine, worth having injectors done at the same time I would think.

At least new seals should be able to cope with modern diesel better.

as far as we can tell, the pump is the only place where diesel can transfer from the fuel system to the sump, dave knows what he is up to so i am sure things will be fine whatever the outcome. it did runaway, but stopped itself before i could get the manual air shutoff (old sink plunger) over the intake, when i checked the sump level was over 6" higher than it should have been.

• Confused 2

On 19/08/2022 at 14:00, grendel said:

A friendly old chap stopped and gave me a tow to somerleyton, rammed full so now on the private mooring there.

Hello Grendel,

His name is Bill. He used to be the mechanic at St Olaves Marina and still keeps his boat there.

By the way, I was the chap on the bank handling your bow line.

Nice to meet you

Steve

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TeamElla said:

Hello Grendel,

His name is Bill. He used to be the mechanic at St Olaves Marina and still keeps his boat there.

By the way, I was the chap on the bank handling your bow line.

Nice to meet you

Steve

well thanks Steve, and thanks to Bill, nice to meet both of you gentlemen, i do hope you managed to get rid of the splinter from that post. you will be pleased to hear Dave got me to Oulton, and took me ashore this morning where I loaded my car and headed home, no great loss as i was planning to come home today.

• Like 3

On 20/08/2022 at 15:02, Smoggy said:

At least the engine revved up and stopped, with a sump full of fuel it could have ran away with itself and done a proper destruction job, fresh oil and a pump rebuild and it'll probably be fine, worth having injectors done at the same time I would think.

At least new seals should be able to cope with modern diesel better.

This happened to me and it was rather frightening. Only managed to stop engine when a friend covered air intake. In retrospect not the safest thing to do. After spending quite a bit on trying to get engine working again gave up and invested in a new Nanni.  

1 hour ago, maysailor said:

This happened to me and it was rather frightening. Only managed to stop engine when a friend covered air intake. In retrospect not the safest thing to do. After spending quite a bit on trying to get engine working again gave up and invested in a new Nanni.  

Makes quite a noise and is quite alarming, my colleague managed to get a good enough seal with the sole of his trainer when it happened at work once!

• Like 1