Water Rail Out And About.

Thank you.   I think I know where you mean now.   Hubby has always wanted to veer off up there and I wasn't that keen.  Didn't know whether or not it was private.  

Just looked at the web cam at Horning showing The Ferry Pub,  are the flags left over from the Coronation or are we celebrating something else this week.

Screenshot 2023-05-24 151043.png

4 hours ago, grendel said:

Wednesday, where to go today, plan was up the ant, but destination? Irstead was full, I had considered Dilham, but realised I would need to stop to move the paddle board to the side deck, as I was crossing Barton  Broad,  an idea struck, so I turned to starboard, and am currently sat at Wood end, eating some lunch I may stay here, or head back down the ant for a wild mooring later.

At least it hasn't been taken over by blue-green algae yet!

18 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

At least it hasn't been taken over by blue-green algae yet!

No,  but plenty of it, pea-soup like down Fleet Dyke on Saturday morning and again this morning. Finlay’s not allowed in. 

1 hour ago, grendel said:

There is a single mooring there, probably about 25 foot long

Probably nearer 32ft as I fit in there, at 35ft. 
58F6F659-B24F-4922-80F2-33938D8E8397.thumb.jpeg.fd899c7c9f0dd0c8a2b46ad5015d319b.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

No,  but plenty of it, pea-soup like down Fleet Dyke on Saturday morning and again this morning. Finlay’s not allowed in. 

58F6F659-B24F-4922-80F2-33938D8E8397.thumb.jpeg.fd899c7c9f0dd0c8a2b46ad5015d319b.jpeg

Hmm…I think I made the right decision not taking Moonlight Shadow there (38’), as your bow is hanging over rather.

I've been up there with a 35ft boat. Moored up and took the walk into The Crown at Catfield only to find it closed for the afternoon with a private function on. As I recall very close to the mooring was a property with two rather vicious dogs allowed to roam free and no gates! They certainly made us jump as we left the boat and went down the lane, and they we're still loose on the way back. The owner seemed to have good power of recall, but it still didn't seem right to me.

• Sad 1

Once again breakfast took its time to cook, so it was late when I departed, passed Kate on spring gers retreat, and a wave and cheery good mornings were exchanged, then it was the plod down to great Yarmouth,  I kept at 2000 rpm most of the way  (5 mph through the water) the tide changed somewhere between Runham and scare gap, then I moored at great Yarmouth, only  about 6 or 7 boats here now. Off in to town later.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kpnut said:

Your Finley certainly steels the show if moored cater ways nobody would tell you off with him in the picture.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grendel said:

Once again breakfast took its time to cook, so it was late when I departed, passed Kate on spring gers retreat, and a wave and cheery good mornings were exchanged, then it was the plod down to great Yarmouth,  I kept at 2000 rpm most of the way  (5 mph through the water) the tide changed somewhere between Runham and scare gap, then I moored at great Yarmouth, only  about 6 or 7 boats here now. Off in to town later.

Hi Grendel

If you can't sort the oven change the menu poached eggs will have you cruising faster.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, grendel said:

Probably not, but the Quay attendant didn't comment, and the next boat is completely blocking the next ladder down.

With so few boats, it looks like the quay attendant could use some lessons in safety, maybe the BA could help him. 🤨

42 minutes ago, grendel said:

Probably not, but the Quay attendant didn't comment, and the next boat is completely blocking the next ladder down.

I noticed last year as we were passing through that the quay attendants looked like they were actually helping someone moor up across a ladder - maybe that was just temporary though, so don't take my word for it, I might have been completely mistaken. It did make me wonder though. Harry yelled at the boat in question to tell him not to block the ladder, until I told him not to as there were quay attendants present. 

58 minutes ago, grendel said:

If there is someone aboard with mobility issues, they quite often Moor them against the ladders for ease of access at low tide, it's not .ow tide yet and the Quay heading is level with my roof.

Yep, although I don’t have mobility issues the rangers helped me moor by a ladder to make it easier for me the climb ashore…😎

Confirmation of the ladder issue.
When I was down there in the car last autumn, I went in to speak to the staff about best practice mooring up down there. Nathan said they quite often moor people up across the ladders for getting on and off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

That’s all very well, but I hope they explain to hirers that mooring across the ladders is not recommended in other locations. 

Should the location make any difference? If anybody falls in the water at Gt Yarmouth and all the ladders are blocked, how are they expected to get out of the water?

I personally think it’s poor practice to moor across emergency ladders in any location on the broads.

maybe in Gt Yarmouth a safer solution should be sought. Ie pontoons or the like.

• Like 4