Water Rail Out And About.

On 11/08/2023 at 10:56, MauriceMynah said:

I wonder if I could start a "Green grp" boat meet, a sort of 'patina party'

No, because you'd have to change your name to Billy Billy no Mates LOL, not really your a lovely bloke in a green boat.

On 11/08/2023 at 10:56, MauriceMynah said:

I wonder if I could start a "Green grp" boat meet, a sort of 'patina party'

Joking apart, a "Classic GRP" meet is a great idea. I really like a lot of the 60s/70s/80s designs which, if they were cars, would be part of the classic scene now.

• Love 1

Sorry everyone, its been a busy couple of days at the wooden boat show we are still here for some of tomorrow,  but it's more of a relax day and prepare  to head home.

We have had a wonderful day showing off the boats, ii relieved a complement that the boat had been man tidied ( ie an attempt had obviously been made to tidy, but woman's standards had not been achieved ( I took that to be a complement)).

IMG-20230812-WA0045.jpeg

IMG-20230812-WA0043.jpeg

• Like 7

We had a flying visit, it was good to put more faces to names and see the beautiful woodies. The owners were so welcoming and happy for people to board and have a look around.

I am in awe of the time and skills devoted to preserving these classic boats.

I found my dream boat, needless to say it was vetoed if it ever came up for sale. It was beautiful, shiny and impractical, ideal for me then.

IMG_20230812_142605.jpg

• Like 7

As I had the shallows and amazon's forever dvd with me (the 1984 series set on the broads) and I had been told Water Rail appeared twice, I set to watching the dvd after it started getting dark, now while I can definitely  verify the first appearance (near the start of the third episode, ) I don't feel that the other appearance was water rail, as the roof extended (in the open position) to the very rear of the cabin, and the rear deck looked too short. The window was the correct style, but maybe a bit narrow.

20230813_070015.jpg

Well what a day its been, last night's attempt to repair the cooker ended badly, after 3 hours I finally extricated the dud part, only to then find the replacement had different connections, then during reassembly, the gas lines to the hob burners (that could only be loosened after you had bent them broke), so at 5.30 am I departed the hardly cross moorings, it then rained from there to the WRC. I had slack water to the new cut, and then rode the flood up to Beccles.  Arriving just before 9am, just after 9 I phoned norfolk marine to see if they still had any of the voyager 4500 cookers on the shelf, they did, so I hopped in the car, and drove to Wroxham to pick it up ( I broke the old one so I would replace it)

New cooker was fitted by 1pm, and I then headed back the way I had come,  passing my previous mooring  at about 4pm, once again I had the tide with me down to the new cut, then along the new cut, after that it was punching into the falling tide all the way to Castle. Where the rain started just as I moored up. 

Last night I had a cold tea, cheese tomato and cucumber sandwiches with a pork pie, this mornings breakfast was 2 bananas ( followed by a McDonald's meal en route to pick up the cooker), and my first cup of coffee was at 1pm when I tested the cooker just prior to departure.

Now to test the new oven by cooking tea.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 am start after a fry up for breakfast, on to norwich, a wander round the town, some puff pastry purchased for cheese and bacon wraps,  2 of which are cooking as I type.

The yacht station was empty when I arrived just after the 10am kick out, I was immediately moved along next to a ladder to maximise space, as yesterday they had been packed to capacity. Then the day boats left at 5pm, only to be replaced by newcomers by 7pm.

20230815_093830.jpg

20230815_102443.jpg

• Like 3

Today's cheese and bacon wraps got 2 minutes less and turned out perfect, I left norwich at 8.30, and took it really easy 4 mph downriver just after low tide, arriving at Rockland dyke 3 hours later, and mooring right on the end over the ladder there, then I got my long ropes and put the rhond anchors in the path (there was a cleared path from the ladder) this meant I could drop back a bit, but also meant I need to climb on and off at the bow, a couple of minutes thrashing around with a boathook did nothing to clear the nettles between the pat and waters edge, I seem to recall someone contacted them and they said the key heading was cleared too, not a chance, the nettles are hanging right over the water in places.

Even a clear path cut through every 50 feet or so would help make these moorings useable again.

This was about the only accessible spot clear down to the next boat you can see in the picture below.

16921835524222873516268940649685.jpg

1692183604510894330514298733032.jpg

• Sad 2

30 minutes ago, grendel said:

Today's cheese and bacon wraps got 2 minutes less and turned out perfect, I left norwich at 8.30, and took it really easy 4 mph downriver just after low tide, arriving at Rockland dyke 3 hours later, and mooring right on the end over the ladder there, then I got my long ropes and put the rhond anchors in the path (there was a cleared path from the ladder) this meant I could drop back a bit, but also meant I need to climb on and off at the bow, a couple of minutes thrashing around with a boathook did nothing to clear the nettles between the pat and waters edge, I seem to recall someone contacted them and they said the key heading was cleared too, not a chance, the nettles are hanging right over the water in places.

Even a clear path cut through every 50 feet or so would help make these moorings useable again.

This was about the only accessible spot clear down to the next boat you can see in the picture below.

Only the BA moorings were due to be cleared.  The remainder of the quay heading doesn’t fall within the BA’s remit, so doesn’t receive any attention.  Over the past couple of years, the number of visitors has guaranteed that most of the overgrowth along the remaining length of the quay heading been ‘trampled down,’ but this year, being so much quieter, it hasn’t received the same treatment.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

I might just have to take a leaf out of the unknown person that cleared some of griffs corners book, and find an unknown person to clear some of it.

Next addition to all boats inventory. Bill hook and rake?