Water Rail Out And About.

16 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Utterly disgusting that the water authorities think that it’s acceptable to pour untreated sewage in such vast quantities into our rivers.  When you look at the financial situation that Thames Water is in currently and demanding a 44% increase in charges to their customers, to make up for their disastrous financial situation and breakdowns in service, such as the one ongoing in Hastings, affecting 31,000 homes, one does wonder what the benefit of privatisation was to anyone other than shareholders and the boards of the various water authorities.

Not a week goes by in our area without Anglian Water closing a road to fix yet another leak in an aging system, that appears unfit for purpose in the 21st century.

Unbelievable!  Do I sound like Victor Meldrew?

• Like 5

You don't sound like Victor Meldrew at all, I quite agree

The situation in Hastings has also caused disruption to local transport causing grid lock on the roads. Bottled water has been supplied, how very kind of them :facepalm:but if you don't drive and especially for the elderly, how on earth do you carry several bottles of water back 

We will be thinking twice before taking a dip in the sea this year as we've had several spillages. Utterly disgusting. As usual, they mess up and we have to pay

Grace x

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gracie said:

We will be thinking twice before taking a dip in the sea this year as we've had several spillages. Utterly disgusting. As usual, they mess up and we have to pay

Grace x

Whilst giving exorbitant amounts of money to shareholders.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Whilst giving exorbitant amounts of money to shareholders.

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

AKA pension funds.

No, unfortunately a lot of investors these days are foreign, sometimes even Sovereign Wealth Funds of other countries.

All that does is take the profits out of this country, into other countries bank accounts 

I believe this has been the case for Thames Water - loaded up with debt, that was then paid out as dividends overseas

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

What a day, 11.30am daughter calls needs to get to grans as she has had an accident (car accident, small dent on wing)

Gran needs to get some money from the cash ma line, so we drive to the nearest village, and she gives the card to my daughter asking her to do it (not very mobile) gives the wrong pin, daughter tries 3 times card gets locked, phoned bank who ask for the security number- there isn't one on the back as its purely a cashpoint card- gran can't remember being sent one. Now the ca terbury branch is in the pedestrianised high street, which I can't get near in the car, so we went to the branch in the next town over. Card sorted, drop off daughter as we pass her house- I didn't want to spend another hour just to get her home. Off to grans local shop, finally get home  at 3.30pm, half an hour after I should have finished work,  tidy up loose ends of work and load car- only running an hour behind schedule.

Conversely the run up to Beccles was a dream, only 3 1/2hours and I arrived at 8pm, its an early start  tomorrow to catch the tide at around midday, and I don't want to rush it.

Did my lidls shop when I got here, 2 important  things forgotten- butter for toast, and a bottle of  rum for coffees,  both available at lidls.

Cottage pie in oven cooking for tea.

• Like 14

Early start this morning, up at 5am, breakfasted on fried bread and beans and sausages, at 7am I was ready to leave, that's when the rain started.

Cruised at 5 mph down the waveny, getting damp as I had the screen half down, somerleyton bridge, 8'9", great no need to even lower the mast, still olaves bridge, same height, no problem., kept going, was aiming to arrive at GY about 11.30, in the end I was 15 minutes early, 8'9" at the bridge. Straight under and I wasn't really pushing in to any current.carried on, and on, stokesby the space on the staith was taken by the boat in front, a few spaces at acle, but I kept going, I had never moored at Upton dyke, well today I did, all the way to the end, and moored. Time for a cuppa, I had been standing at the wheel for 7 hours by the time I arrived.

I have also found where 2 leaks are, and Dave has left a tube of the good stuff with a caulking gun, so once things have dried out, that's a job I can do coffee in hand now, time to sit down and dry out, 

The rain finally stopped shortly after I passed stokesby.

• Like 11

To be honest if it has to be a rainy day, it's preferable that it's a long cruise day, the good bit is I used just over a gallon of fuel for the trip. Not complaining about that.

After scraping out the crud from the leaks I ran a bead of sealant along them, fingers crossed it works.

• Like 2

Departed at 8am when visibility was about 300m, destination potter heigham, following a boat down the thurne and just after we passed a gap came available, it seemed the boat in front was going to moor, so I spun round and grabbed the space, it wasn't until they cruised past me I realised I had nicked the mooring.

Wandered down to Latham's, stopping to chat to Kate en route. In to Latham's where I picked up a mop, a couple of bottles of crabbies ginger beer, and some notepads, then back to the boat, Kate was just leaving, I followed a few minutes later, next destination was boulters for a pump out and diesel as the tank only had a couple of gallons left, so I filled up, 27.7 litres filled  the tank(1.45 a litre) pumpouts £18. Then on to salhouse, where I have been sitting, chatting and drinking until I remembered to update this thread.

• Like 6

On 05/05/2024 at 17:45, MauriceMynah said:

AKA pension funds.

On 05/05/2024 at 23:23, Bikertov said:

No, unfortunately a lot of investors these days are foreign, sometimes even Sovereign Wealth Funds of other countries.

All that does is take the profits out of this country, into other countries bank accounts 

I believe this has been the case for Thames Water - loaded up with debt, that was then paid out as dividends overseas

I think this will probably send Thames into public ownership.Screenshot_20240518_074139_Google.thumb.jpg.3e93567289577fafa32e44886db3b9a4.jpg