Water Rail Out And About.

2 hours ago, grendel said:

there is a wild mooring about a mile upstream from the Waveney River Centre, a 40 foot length of quay heading, there used to be carved wooden heads reminiscent of the easter island heads, but over the years, first one, then it now appears the other have vanished, I still know it as the easter island mooring though

easter island mooring.PNG

It’s fixed in my head as the Easter Island mooring too. Shame the carved wooden Easter Island heads have disappeared. 

13 hours ago, grendel said:

I woke early, i had hung up on the nuts protruding from the quay heading last night, 

just a word of warning regarding this mooring, i have also been caught on the protruding fixings on the quay heading so extra fenders may have to be deployed in future 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gancanny said:

just a word of warning regarding this mooring, i have also been caught on the protruding fixings on the quay heading so extra fenders may have to be deployed in future 

That’s why I won’t moor there.  With the rise and fall, it can be difficult to protect one’s gel coat from damage.  I’d much rather moor at North Cove.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grendel said:

North cove was full, when I passed, with 3 yachts, all sporting  oversized solar panels, propped against their cabin sides.

Yes, there are three mooring spaces at Worlingham, 3 at North Cove and if you discount the demasting section, about three just below Beccles new bridge at the BA mooring. However the reality is that at the moment only 6 of those moorings are ever available. The same three boats bouncing around between those three moorings. Mainly moving just between Worlingham and North Cove and using tenders to visit Beccles. Moorings along this stretch are scarce enough as it is, without three being effectively constantly taken.

• Like 2

The BA website thinks that there is space for 6 boats on the Beccles mooring. Having cruises passed is recently, I don't think that is accurate!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meantime said:

Yes, there are three mooring spaces at Worlingham, 3 at North Cove and if you discount the demasting section, about three just below Beccles new bridge at the BA mooring. However the reality is that at the moment only 6 of those moorings are ever available. The same three boats bouncing around between those three moorings. Mainly moving just between Worlingham and North Cove and using tenders to visit Beccles. Moorings along this stretch are scarce enough as it is, without three being effectively constantly taken.

Hmmm.  Sounds like three of the scabby yachts are the ones we saw moored there at Easter.  I thought that because it was out of season, the BA were giving a bit of leeway to overstaying on their moorings, but it seems that they can’t even be bothered to intervene when their moorings are being abused.

Maybe Tom @BroadsAuthority would like to comment on what’s happening on The Waveney between WRC and Beccles and what steps are being taken to prevent overstaying.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, catcouk said:

The BA website thinks that there is space for 6 boats on the Beccles mooring. Having cruises passed is recently, I don't think that is accurate!

They are doubling up on the numbers of moorings available to make their figures look good.  Double mooring is permitted at a number of their mooring sites.

It was commonplace in the past, when there were more hirecraft on the rivers, but not done as much now for a number of reasons.

• Like 1

“They are doubling up on the numbers of moorings available to make their figures look good.  Double mooring is permitted at a number of their mooring sites.”

Does that include Loddon…:default_hiding:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

They are doubling up on the numbers of moorings available to make their figures look good.  Double mooring is permitted at a number of their mooring sites.

It was commonplace in the past, when there were more hirecraft on the rivers, but not done as much now for a number of reasons.

Nope - they list the mooring as single alongside. Still not sure why they think they have so much space.

• Like 1

Strange that they allow double mooring on their sites but after 6 years of occasionally double mooring my small boat next to Whitey on a very wide section of the Yare a ranger recently asked if I was leaving it there as it might be a hazard. The section of river is over 60' wide. 😎

Must be a new recruit as the rangers usually refer to it as my extension and have never had a problem.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ExSurveyor said:

Strange that they allow double mooring on their sites but after 6 years of occasionally double mooring my small boat next to Whitey on a very wide section of the Yare a ranger recently asked if I was leaving it there as it might be a hazard. The section of river is over 60' wide. 😎

Must be a new recruit as the rangers usually refer to it as my extension and have never had a problem.

There is always one!

• Like 1

The numbers of available moorings quoted on the BA website are all inflated, unless you assume they will all be taken up by boats not much longer than day boats. In practice, I think you have to halve the number of boats to get to a figure that can reasonably accommodated.

I recall the first time we went past Bramerton on Moonlight Shadow. Being an August bank holiday Saturday it was rammed, but half was taken up by what looked like two Dutch barges. If they hadn’t been double moored they’d probably have hogged the whole stretch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

Is the combined beam of the two more than 15 foot? You can only moor alongside in this way if you're occupying less than 25% of the width, or on an approved BA mooring.

I only know that because I happened to read the bylaw this morning :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

The numbers of available moorings quoted on the BA website are all inflated, unless you assume they will all be taken up by boats not much longer than day boats. In practice, I think you have to halve the number of boats to get to a figure that can reasonably accommodated.

No doubt they probably measure the total length and then divide by an "average" length of 25ft or something similar.

The major issue with that is obviously 4 berth boats 46ft in length - and the fact you also need a gap between boats, which is often larger than strictly necessary.

• Like 1

according to google earth the river is 150 ft wide at that location, so you could almost moor a 24' boat stern on to a 12' boat side on and still only just take up 25% of the width of the river.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, catcouk said:

Me neither!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

The combined width is 20', without measuring the width of the river I would guestimate we are no more than 15% 

Never had anything approaching a near miss even by a stag boat .

I read through some of the bylaws this morning and it's very evident that a lot of the rules were included to cater for real shipping, potentially operating 24 hours a day. You wouldn't have wanted to be hanging out too far in the days when coasters were commonplace.

What is interesting is that a wherry moored at Irstead overnight technically needs a white light on its outer extremity. I suspect the rangers probably wouldn't know to enforce that one!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, dom said:
1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Expand  

No doubt they probably measure the total length and then divide by an "average" length of 25ft or something similar.

The official length that mooring spaces are calculated from is published on the BA website somewhere, probably in a policy document I read recently.
And you’re right, the length used is much less than the average boat length. I have in my head it was 23ft but that seems ridiculously short, so maybe 27ft?

And of course, where double mooring is allowed, that’s added in although it’s rarely done nowadays as Mouldy said. 

The other week I was moored on the BA Acle bridge moorings and a hire boat went in to moor on the other side, on the Broads Bank quay heading. With no reference boardto refer to (no BA sign saying alongside) they copied Bridgecrafts boats and moored stern on. Two other hire boats then came in independently of each other and copied the first one. You’d get an awful lot of boats on that stretch, all moored stern on.
How safe though is not for me to judge. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kpnut said:

The other week I was moored on the BA Acle bridge moorings and a hire boat went in to moor on the other side, on the Broads Bank quay heading. With no reference boardto refer to (no BA sign saying alongside) they copied Bridgecrafts boats and moored stern on. Two other hire boats then came in independently of each other and copied the first one. You’d get an awful lot of boats on that stretch, all moored stern on.

I’d say that the river at Acle is considerably wider than at either Wroxham, outside the hotel and Barnes yard and at The New Inn, Horning, where stern mooring is permitted.  It’s also a ruddy sight busier there too.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kpnut said:

You’d get an awful lot of boats on that stretch, all moored stern on.

I vividly remember our first afternoon ever on the Broads. We had picked up a Wood class sailey from Hunters Yard, got under THE bridge (beginners luck as we hadn’t checked the tides) and were mostly fine tacking up the stretch above Potter until we were approaching Martham. There seemed to be an awful lot of Martham Boats saileys all moored stern on and all with horrible bowsprits. That took the wind out of our proverbial sails! We got past somehow, but not without some tricky fending off. Those were the days when none of the Hunters boats had torqeedo electric propulsion.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I’d say that the river at Acle is considerably wider than at either Wroxham, outside the hotel and Barnes yard

I suspect that when the planning application was made to redevelop the corner opposite Barnes, the powers that be were probably so wrapped up in the details on the landward side that they overlooked the fact it included stern on mooring on the river. If you made a stand-alone application to narrow the river to 60ft or so, just after a bend, when it's used by Broads Tours trip boats, you wouldn't stand a hope in hell of getting it granted.

• Like 1