Water Rail Out And About.

17 hours ago, Turnoar said:

An Allen Scythe should make short work of it, bit bulky to sit on the cabin roof though...

Like to see you lift it on there in the first place. Not seen or worked on one of those in years

• Like 1

Departed short dyke about 8.20 this morning and  did a slow poodle against the tide to Chedgrave,  passed sapphire lady (I think that was the name or was it sovereign lady?) at cantly moorings and waved back to them (one day I will manage to remember which forum member belongs to which boat, so sorry if I don't manage to put 2 and 2 together.)

Currently  having a coffee, I will wander into Loddon later for some shopping.

• Like 3

Early start, low tide at Chedgrave was 7.20am, but 6.44 at Reedham, so as soon as I was ready  (6.20) a d had a coffee next to me, it was off, up the chet to the yare, down through Reedham, and through the new cut, tide was still at slack with no appreciable flow either way when I exited the new cut, so I have moored up at herringfleet to get some breakfast, and later follow the flood up river, destination somewhere towards  geldeston. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, grendel said:

Departed short dyke about 8.20 this morning and  did a slow poodle against the tide to Chedgrave,  passed sapphire lady (I think that was the name or was it sovereign lady?) at cantly moorings and waved back to them (one day I will manage to remember which forum member belongs to which boat, so sorry if I don't manage to put 2 and 2 together.)

Currently  having a coffee, I will wander into Loddon later for some shopping.

It was me, Sovereign Lady, the boat that is lol. I tried to shout across having learned nothing about how hard it is to hear when underway 🙂 Good to see you 👍

On 16/08/2023 at 12:01, grendel said:

This was about the only accessible spot clear down to the next boat you can see in the picture below.

16921835524222873516268940649685.jpg

Shows how long I have not been here for - I remember when this was lovely and clear along here.  Talking of bush clearance i did actually buy and have on the boat a Cordless Strimmer - and have used it to great effect to keep growth down at some moorings I enjoy most especially on the Ant.

71OJ8xy-icL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.ca48fd756c8bbe17da3d5e829b3256c5.jpg

https://amzn.eu/d/5YVRcLN

2 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Shows how long I have not been here for - I remember when this was lovely and clear along here.  Talking of bush clearance i did actually buy and have on the boat a Cordless Strimmer - and have used it to great effect to keep growth down at some moorings I enjoy most especially on the Ant.

71OJ8xy-icL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.ca48fd756c8bbe17da3d5e829b3256c5.jpg

https://amzn.eu/d/5YVRcLN

The B.A. will be giving you a job - unpaid of course.  

This photo was taken at Rockland short dyke in September 2021. Looks mighty similar then as now. Maybe the quay heading was slightly more visible then.

We tried walking up to the village, but had to do an almighty detour and then come back through a field that wasn't even where the path went.

A digger was moving soil about behind the quay heading at the time. I expect much of the overgrown vegetation now is a result of disturbing the soil then, with all the dormant weed seeds subsequently germinating.

Rocklandshortdike.thumb.jpg.a0d7dbe14e16e387b6e1303fa540785e.jpg

From herringfleet  I departed, munching on a couple of cheese and bacon wraps, and drin,ingredients a coffee, I got as far as north cove with the paddle board on the roof, before Checking project troll, 7'6" and dropping, so I put a line round a post and dropped the paddle board to the side deck, inadvertently  sending my clip on sunglasses to the bottom, no panic, I had spares, I then proceeded to geldeston, taking a look at the staithe, where the same boat was there as last time,  

Turning around I came back to the wild mooring about half way to Beccles, from there I have listened to audio books and  paddle boarded, and generally relaxed.

• Like 5

I don't think i knew there was a wild mooring halfway along, thanks for mentioning it. I have a map on the boat with every wild mooring I've ever seen or earmarked as a possibility, so when I get back to the boat, I'll have a look as I'll be interested in using that one in September.

Well the rain woke me when it started at 12.30am, and again at 2am when a drip landed on my forehead. A few mi uses while I laid out bin bags to divert the drips from the cushions to bilge, and stick a baking tray under the one by my head, this done I put my pillow between the two and slept soundly while the patter of the rain on the roof lulled me to sleep.

Last night while boiling the kettle I narrowly averted a fire, the cover that sits over the cooker is normally stood up at the back of the cooker, with its stainless steel underside protecting the boat from the heat. This needs to sit further back now , as the new larger hob ring was charring the top behind the stainless. I will bring some stainless steel angle iron to form a lip on the counter top it can sit behind, and a catch to stop it falling back down at this steeper angle.

Next will be a morning of packing everything up and a short cruise back to home base.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kpnut said:

I don't think i knew there was a wild mooring halfway along, thanks for mentioning it. I have a map on the boat with every wild mooring I've ever seen or earmarked as a possibility, so when I get back to the boat, I'll have a look as I'll be interested in using that one in September.

I think you will find it's the mooring I have highlighted on the following two images.

Waveney1.thumb.jpg.ffd70f170d318abcf8717f25567fbabd.jpgWaveney2.thumb.jpg.358971243b2dd2321ae94100d5423217.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It used to be a lot more overgrown, but they have certainly done a lot of tree felling and clearing in that stretch. There is some tempting looking wild mooring spots on the other bank, but be aware that a lot of it is leased to a fishing club who don't take too kindly to anyone mooring there.

2 hours ago, grendel said:

Well the rain woke me when it started at 12.30am, and again at 2am when a drip landed on my forehead. A few mi uses while I laid out bin bags to divert the drips from the cushions to bilge, and stick a baking tray under the one by my head, this done I put my pillow between the two and slept soundly while the patter of the rain on the roof lulled me to sleep.

aaahhhh,   nothing to beat a woodie,  lol

4 hours ago, kpnut said:

Thank you both very much indeed for that info and the photos. I’ve only been once and certainly don’t recall them at all. 

Before the felled the trees it wasn't really a place to stop. I'm trying to remember when they did the felling - 2020 possibly?