Water Rail Out And About.

Grendel , you must be careful.    For goodness sakes , what next.   I mean yes , in the Summer but not now it is like the middle of winter.   Hope you are now dry and warm.         Honestly if I fell in , you would be having a collection for me.   Sheer shock would kill me , especially on a mooring like Hardley Cross, gosh you do do pick em , dont you. 

• Like 5

For goodness sake man  :default_shocked1animated:

1)  Please remember you are solo crewing AND are due to be on the lads week come October and ALL of us are looking forward to sharing your company

2) No refunds offered for Lads week if you are absent without leave

3)  No shower onboard Water Rail - bet that took you a while to warm up not to mention trying to get your clothes dry

4)  Was there a Tsunami at Gt Yarmouth? :default_norty:

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, grendel said:

well the water wasn't too cold, and I still had the rope, this got tied off to the chains under the Quay heading, several of these chains are in dire need of repair as about 3 broke when I grabbed them.

This is the bit of the story I love best : pausing to make comment on the state of repair of the quay heading!

Well done, Peter, yours were the actions of someone who didn't flap, and sorted it all out. By the way, I wouldn't have been wearing a lifejacket at Hardley Cross, either.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I didn't have the rum until after, in my coffee.

I did report the broken chains to broads control, typically when I phoned, I was diverted to answering machine, I then backed that up with a email.

About an hour ago a ranger dropped in asking if I was ok, and getting pictures of the offending chains, one had taken the complete ring bolt out of the quay heading, (actually I think it rusted through). 

She said it looked a pretty easy fix, which shows that safety at least is a concern.

• Like 5

It's started getting colder now, so the oven is on for my dinner, which will warm things up a bit, then it will be an early night in my sleeping bag, which gets lovely and toasty.

Clothes are slowly drying, my big lament is that I was wearing my fleece and that is soaked, I think that might take a while to dry, as though I wrang it out, it's still dripping.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, grendel said:

It's started getting colder now, so the oven is on for my dinner, which will warm things up a bit, then it will be an early night in my sleeping bag, which gets lovely and toasty.

Clothes are slowly drying, my big lament is that I was wearing my fleece and that is soaked, I think that might take a while to dry, as though I wrang it out, it's still dripping.

As long as you are Ok, that's all that really matters

Lessons can be learnt, yes...

But you being well is the most important element 

See you on the rivers soon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad you are ok!

Can I ask if you had some means of getting out of the water if there had been no safety ladders?  I had a slip last year but fell away from the river and just got a muddy bottom!  I'd been thinking about an emergency ladder of some sort and ended up with a folding ladder bolted to the stern, the boats stern, not mine!!  There's one step on the water line and when unfolded another 2 below.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, grendel said:

I can vouch for it being cold I was on rescue boat at Horning. Cold wet and windy - glad you are okay though!!!

• Like 2

Ooh Peter, glad you’re now warm and toasty again. No more mishaps please.
But it’s funny how autopilot kicks in in your head when things like that happen. I know it did for me back in December. An evolutionary safety mechanism I suppose. 

• Like 1