Barton Turf Moorings

Mouldy

14 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

I understood it that for managment purposes of various sites the council had created some form of charitable trust that restricts them to offering a maximum 7 year lease, sadly it appears that like many local authorities they put their own agenda before the public good.

Fred

I believe that , as it stands, you are correct .

However if they are unable to make use of it as a private paid mooring then the potential maintenance costs etc could well persuade the trustees to readdress their current position 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, marshman said:

There is nothing unusual or difficult for charitable trustees to grant leases of their land in excess of 7 years - the Parish Council just chose not to go down that route, choosing a marginally easier option! Or so I believe!

Agreed but I understood there is a financial burden to achieve that which they expected the BA to pick up. 

Fred

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I believe the “gentleman” to whom you refer is at Irstead parish moorings 

I belive he would if you overstayed the 24hrs or are you thinking of the one at Reedham quite a while ago who would shout out if you were too close to the mooring near his house.

It’s Irstead I’m thinking of , during covid even when you were permitted to stay overnight he would let you know passionately and without decorum what his opinion was if you were mooring on the parish side of Irstead , allegedly he was also known to unplug the shore power cable of those overnighting on the BA mooring there , but this is hearsay afaik 

35 minutes ago, petersjoy said:

I belive he would if you overstayed the 24hrs or are you thinking of the one at Reedham quite a while ago who would shout out if you were too close to the mooring near his house.

11 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

It’s Irstead I’m thinking of , during covid even when you were permitted to stay overnight he would let you know passionately and without decorum what his opinion was if you were mooring on the parish side of Irstead , allegedly he was also known to unplug the shore power cable of those overnighting on the BA mooring there , but this is hearsay afaik 

Make no mistake, when I’m on the broads, I want nothing more than a quiet life. Pass the time of day with folks with a brief wee chat is all good.

But on the odd occasion when I meet an angry or rude person , I just break into my strong Scottish accent and pretend I don’t really understand what they are saying. Getting them to repeat themselves umpteen times 😃. Then totally change the subject and try and chat to them in a friendly manner, pretending I’m not picking up on their beef. 🤪.

They usually then leave, muttering some none sense. 

It’s like a time I moored stern on at Ranworth. A gin palace owner offered to help me with my ropes and when I thanked him , and  the crew accepted his assistance, ( I was no where near hitting his boat, I’ve stern moored hundred of times) and with the grumpiest attitude possible , he ordered me to drop my mudweight. So I went from going to drop it, to not bothering. ( I was only staying a couple of hours)

Its always nice and productive to be nice 🥰

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wonderwall said:

Has anyone had a peek at these moorings this week?

Are there “ no mooring” signs in place?

Yes there are "no mooring" signs and the 'dyke' has been roped off. It does, however, say "water point only"(or similar)on the front so presume that is still operational.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I hope the water point will continue to be available, it's one that we quite often use.

According to the Parish Chairman, it’ll remain available for the rest of this season, along with the rubbish facilities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WherryNice said:

Yes there are "no mooring" signs and the 'dyke' has been roped off. It does, however, say "water point only"(or similar)on the front so presume that is still operational.

Thanks for the update, much appreciated.

Its sad that another bit of the broads is disappearing. Bit by bit it is eroding ( see what I done there 😜). Especially at a time when staycations are on the up.

A bit investment could see  the broads booming again. I know that is not appealing to some on here, but things just don’t stand still. They either prosper or die.

There is plenty space on the rivers, it’s just the getting your head down that’s the problem! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

Thanks for the update, much appreciated.

Its sad that another bit of the broads is disappearing. Bit by bit it is eroding ( see what I done there 😜). Especially at a time when staycations are on the up.

A bit investment could see  the broads booming again. I know that is not appealing to some on here, but things just don’t stand still. They either prosper or die.

There is plenty space on the rivers, it’s just the getting your head down that’s the problem! 

Totally agree. There are large sections of the commercial Broads I just can’t moor at. I end up bringing my own food and fuel.