Wild Moorings

marshman

One major problem land owners have , is if they don't put no mooring signs up , then someone does and manages to trip up on something getting hurt. Then the landowner fears getting sued, even if the land owner were to win, it's a lot less grief just to put up the signs..

Just a few points this morning.

Ex Surveyor is quite correct any such organisation would have to have its own dedicated platform quite separate from this or any others. There is now ,I believe, off the shelf software available.

Who represents Boaters Mikeyboy? If you had re phrased that question and inserted Motor into the question IMHO the answer was and still is no one.:default_icon_e_surprised:

As I said last night quite willing to offer any advice and pointers to anyone willing to give this a go so you don't make the same mistakes as we did but I am not getting involved other than an enthusiastic member. I believe there are enough enthusiastic Motor Boat Owners out there to make this a runner.

I think I have derailed this thread enough now Soz

We hired last week and moored at Herringfleet.A young couple in a day boat moored up .The girl jumped off complete with toilet roll and proceeded to the long grass.We than passed them at another mooring doing exactly the same.It is not hire craft that cause this disgusting issue but day boat hirers.Not wanting to sound ageist but I fear the younger generation are probably the biggest culprits.

1 hour ago, Bikertov said:

If you think about it, hire craft will have an on-board heads but a day boat won't, so if someone is 'caught short' on a day boat they will be temped to 'go wild'.

Disgusting - yes ...

One could add to the list, paddle boards and canoes, both of which have increased and are increasing in numbers.

24 minutes ago, Wussername said:

One could add to the list, paddle boards and canoes, both of which have increased and are increasing in numbers.

Fair point - I was responding to oceandawn's observation of a day boat, but you are right about other river users without on-board facilities.

So if there are more users without facilities, disgusting as it is when they 'go wild', what can be done about it ?

I often go on long distance walks, 15 miles plus, and certainly don't carry any facilities with me. It is normal to find a quiet discrete spot to go for a wee if the need arises, but I've never needed to do more than that when on a long distance walk. So why do so many day boaters, canoeists, stand up paddle boarders and fishermen loose control of their bowels when they are not near any facilities? However should the need arise, why can't they do it on a plastic bag, wrap it up and take it with them to dispose of somewhere more suitable? The majority of dog owners manage to clean up after their dogs, so why can't these people? Unfortunately I fear there is nothing that can be done about, it is just in the make up of some people to be disrespectful and have no common decency.

The growth of canoeing and paddle boarding has really nothing to do with it in my opinion. It has a lot more to do with the general decline in peoples behaviour and common decency.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Meantime said:

So why do so many day boaters, canoeists, stand up paddle boarders and fishermen loose control of their bowels when they are not near any facilities? However should the need arise, why can't they do it on a plastic bag, wrap it up and take it with them to dispose of somewhere more suitable? The majority of dog owners manage to clean up after their dogs, so why can't these people?

I am so glad I have just finished my lunch.

• Haha 1

I would have thought day boats would only need a pee hardly polluting if they need to do a poo i would have thought the first stop would be a pub the fishermen that are there all night are the culprits and signs wont stop them. And how on earth a land owner can be prosecuted if someone trips while walking uninvited on there land beats me. John

17 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Can you appreciate why I declined and at age 56 decided to see out the rest of my working life just parking the largest ships in The World at The Largest Port in this Country.

I hope you didn’t scratch any light blue ones. 👍

19 hours ago, mikeyboy1966 said:

My apologies,

As you know,I’m not based on the broads at present.

but my experiences on the Ouse have been very positive.

the positives of boating on the Ouse are purely down to the Goba moorings

the bulk of moorings on the rivers are Goba .

prob 80% ( don’t quote me)

the point is without Goba there would be very few moorings.

who is representing the the interests of the boater on the broads?

genuine question?

As an ex boater on the Ouse the GOBA moorings are brilliant. Had many happy times and memories on them .. Good post Mikeyboy 👍

On 07/09/2022 at 21:46, mikeyboy1966 said:

I know nothing of your existing CooP groups on the broads,

on the river Gt Ouse we have GOBA,

they negotiate with land owners and use the the funds raised from member ship to lease moorings and represent the interests of boaters.

perhaps,as private boat and syndicate boat owners you should try to start and organise together a similar thing,

on the broads you seem to be losing moorings whilst river traffic increases in the summer.

as a recognised group you would stand a better chance of being listened to by BA  etc etc

While I appreciate your good intentions here I think there are a couple of points worth mentioning.

Firstly there is no comparison between the user pressure on the 2 waterways by various disciplins or in the way the EA and BA manage their respective responsibilities.

My feelings regarding the BA are in general neutral but  I think they do a reasonable job in providing moorings where suitable sites are available at a price that is not extortionate and I dont see any private group doing any better given the nature of the river banks and who the majority of land owners are.

Most wild moorings are single and not suitable for developement  but if they were who would police them given the likely proportions of a group membership against casual user many of whom dont understand the meaning of private now.

I dont wish to be a party pooper just realistict.

Fred

• Like 4

On 08/09/2022 at 10:55, oceandawn said:

We hired last week and moored at Herringfleet.A young couple in a day boat moored up .The girl jumped off complete with toilet roll and proceeded to the long grass.We than passed them at another mooring doing exactly the same.It is not hire craft that cause this disgusting issue but day boat hirers.Not wanting to sound ageist but I fear the younger generation are probably the biggest culprits.

Sounds like she might want to see her doc. I'd guess honeymoonitis aka Cystitis might be the culprit if she was doing this whenever they stopped :default_biggrin:

Seriously, being a lady she was probably just having a wee which shouldn't be an issue though maybe some grass rather than paper would be a lot better.

I'm with the overnight anglers theory. I used to be an angler and honestly, the behaviour of many of my peers regularly disgusted me