The 2 W's Afloat In Oct 22

CeePee1952

Not quite there yet but it's H hour (Holiday hour) minus 31 and counting so I thought I'd start this blog with the slow preparation for the 7 days afloat on Supreme Light (HW). Some of you may remember that we were 4 W's afloat last Sep 21 but unfortunately our friends cannot make it this year but we have already booked for Sep 23 for the four of us,  having taken advantage of the various discounts that were available :default_smile: so, this year we've got a slightly smaller boat but still from HW's elite range and having also booked this boat when we returned from our week afloat last year, we got the appropriate discounts as well.  Last year we couldn't transit across Breydon to the South due to the tide timings being unhelpful so this year (having studied the tide table first!), we are hoping to get down South on Sunday 16th Oct 22. Then depending on the weather and whatever else crops up, we plan to do Beccles, Oulton Broad and Loddon.  That's plan A, no doubt we'll end up with a Plan Z before the holiday finishes :default_rofl:We're also for the first time, going to try and get a bit of fishing in! In a couple of weeks I'll be applying for a couple of 8 day rod licences from the gov.uk site.  Between now and then though, the better half is off to Greece for a weeks holiday with her brother, his wife and a couple of others, she returns and a week later I'm off to Lanzarote for a "lads week" and then a week later we'll be together on the Broads!! So not much time to sort things out which is why we're starting the process now! Fishing tackle all sorted (we both used to fish quite a lot years ago) so it 's been a case of sorting it all out and deciding what tackle will be most apprpopriate for fishing on the Broads.  I used to be a match fisherman for the Regiment when I was in the army so I've got a wide range of tackle to choose from :default_biggrin: I shall bring my pole (won't use all the sections!) and a spinning rod and Brenda will use her float rod.   So that's the plan so far, updates will follow as and when there's something to write about!

Chris

• Like 9

H – 27 and counting

A bit of preliminary voyage planning (Plan A) today. Our aim as previously stated, is that we want to cruise for a couple of days down on the southern broads, having not had the chance last year.  We’re hoping that the takeover of the boat will be on time so that we can get away and get to either Stokesby (just over 2 hrs cruising from HW) or even Stracey Arms (2 and a half hrs cruising) before sunset. Having looked at the tide bands calculator published by shorebase.co.uk, sunset will be 1659 hrs so I think it’ll be a close call depending on when we can cast off from HW. We have already decided that our luggage, food, drink etc will just be placed in the boat and we’ll sort it out either en route or when we finally moor up.  If we manage to get across Breydon on the Sunday morning (slack water is shown 0915 hrs) then our plan is to have a steady cruise all the way down to Beccles Yacht Station (about 5 hrs cruising hopefully with the tide!).  Overnight there and then come back up to Oulton Broad for another night (Monday) stopover.  Tuesday we’ll head for Loddon and stop overnight.  Rosie’s tea room will definitely get a visit! :default_biggrin: Wednesday will see us crossing Breydon (slack water 1243 hrs) and making our way back up the Bure and most probably stopping at Acle for the night.  Thursday and Friday’s itinerary has yet to be decided although our last night should be at Thurne Dyke!  I’ve no doubt that Plan A will change to Plan B (which we haven’t worked out yet!) at some point during the week afloat :default_unsure:.

Fishing tackle is almost sorted :default_fishing1:(can’t believe how much tackle we’ve got between us from all those years fishing!) .  Still to sort out – clothing including wet weather gear, food and cameras etc.  (Drink is already sorted – that was the priority! :407_beer:) .

Chris

• Like 6

The fishing this year has been bonkers,the best by far that i have ever encountered. We were on the Northern broads 2 weeks ago and cought every where we went, over 100 fish.Thurne dyke.the Ant,Ranworth Island.Sutton Staithe,Potter,and even in Barnes marina. Have a great time, let us know how it went down South.

Kevin:default_fishing2:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Don’t forget that Rosie Lee’s has moved. If you go to where it was, you’ll be disappointed!  It’s now an antique shop!  😉

Yep, spotted that cheers :1311_thumbsup_tone2:(Will have to deter Brenda from going in the antique shop though!):default_icon_eek:

Chris

53 minutes ago, Aboattime said:

The fishing this year has been bonkers,the best by far that i have ever encountered. We were on the Northern broads 2 weeks ago and cought every where we went, over 100 fish.Thurne dyke.the Ant,Ranworth Island.Sutton Staithe,Potter,and even in Barnes marina. Have a great time, let us know how it went down South.

Kevin:default_fishing2:

Thanks for the heads up Kevin :1311_thumbsup_tone2: We're limiting ourselves to a float rod and spinning rod for Brenda and a Wonderwhip (pole) and spinning rod for myself so between us we should manage to catch something (apart from weed!).  I'm expecting the waters to be a tad colder when we are there so most probably not reach your total of 100! I'll post our adventures/pics (including the fishing) once we are there (depending on the wifi coverage) or on our return.

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Don’t forget that Rosie Lee’s has moved. If you go to where it was, you’ll be disappointed!  It’s now an antique shop!  😉

If you go to where it is now you'll still be disappointed if expecting the same experience,  rosy lee's it ain't, I won't bother again and Caroline's brekkie has always been a legal requirement for us, I don't think she's doing it now.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

If you go to where it is now you'll still be disappointed if expecting the same experience,  rosy lee's it ain't, I won't bother again and Caroline's brekkie has always been a legal requirement for us, I don't think she's doing it now.

Awww, that's a shame :default_sad: was really looking forward to one of her breakfasts! Still, we'll most probably take a wander up to it just to see for ourselves.  Even though it was a long time ago, we promised ourselves that we'd go back there whilst on the southern side.

Chris

• Like 1

There is a little cafe opposite where Caroline used to be, I'll be trying it next time.

I think it was called breakfast time and had a takeaway sign so if not dog friendly you can take back to the boat.

Had Caroline deliver to boat a few times, she will be missed although we did see her in the Swan for a lunchtime drink last time, should have asked about breakfast before wasting an hour and still not getting fed.

• Like 1

H - 15 and counting :default_biggrin:  Just purchased 2 x 8 day rod licences (start date 15th Oct) off the gov.uk website.  Very easy to do and have already received the electronic versions on each of our mobiles (in case we're asked for them during our week afloat). Brenda is back from her Greek island holiday and I'm off to Lanzarote on Monday for a 5 day "lads holiday" :default_beerchug: :default_biggrin: then it'll be a week of sorting out food and clothing requirements ready for the week afloat from 15th Oct. Fishing tackle all sorted and will buy maggots hopefully at Potter Heigham on the day we arrive. (Will dig a few worms up from our garden on the Friday and keep them in some sphagnum moss in a bait box).

Chris

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

H - 5 and still counting! :default_smile: Have put together a route plan (Plan A!), not convinced it won't change :default_rofl:we've also worked out our menu requirements for the week to include eating out as well as "fine dining" aboard Supreme Light but I won't bore you with those details!  Suffice to say that we hope to have an evening meal definitely at Oulton, Loddon and Thurne Dyke.

Proposed Route for one week on the Broads.docx

• Like 3

Coo - you almost rival me for detailed plans! I think I'd struggle to take 2 hours from Stracey Arms to Gt Yarmouth though. I'm sure it didn't take us that long on Water Rail, even though we'd realised we'd started off too early and kept our revs down to a minimum. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

H - 5 and still counting! :default_smile: Have put together a route plan (Plan A!), not convinced it won't change :default_rofl:we've also worked out our menu requirements for the week to include eating out as well as "fine dining" aboard Supreme Light but I won't bore you with those details!  Suffice to say that we hope to have an evening meal definitely at Oulton, Loddon and Thurne Dyke.

Proposed Route for one week on the Broads.docx 13.55 kB · 4 downloads

I was talking to someone at the weekend who thought (like me) that eating at one of your proposed dining venues was not as good as it used to be.  We found The White Horse at Upton to be very good and may be worth your consideration.  It’s a community run pub and has a good atmosphere, too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Coo - you almost rival me for detailed plans! I think I'd struggle to take 2 hours from Stracey Arms to Gt Yarmouth though. I'm sure it didn't take us that long on Water Rail, even though we'd realised we'd started off too early and kept our revs down to a minimum. 

Hmmm - I have to admit that I have used the timings from a spreadsheet file that I printed off many years ago. (It's in the downloads section on another Broads forum!). It does state using an average speed of 3.75 mph on the northern part and 4.5 mph on the southern part. :default_icon_e_confused:

Chris

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

I was talking to someone at the weekend who thought (like me) that eating at one of your proposed dining venues was not as good as it used to be.  We found The White Horse at Upton to be very good and may be worth your consideration.  It’s a community run pub and has a good atmosphere, too!

Thank you for the "heads up".  Just a couple of questions (well three actually :default_biggrin:), how busy would the moorings be at Upton dyke, how far is the White Horse from the moorings and more importantly, any idea how long it would take to get from Upton dyke to HW as we have to have the boat back there by 0900 on the Saturday morning?

Chris

9 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

Thank you for the "heads up".  Just a couple of questions (well three actually :default_biggrin:), how busy would the moorings be at Upton dyke, how far is the White Horse from the moorings and more importantly, any idea how long it would take to get from Upton dyke to HW as we have to have the boat back there by 0900 on the Saturday morning?

Chris

Depending what time you arrive, there should be space at the moorings.  The last two times we’ve been there, 44 & 45 ft boats have moored successfully , but turning on the ropes is advised.  If you’re in any doubt, moor at the river end and get one of your party to walk down and check before taking the boat down.  It’s not far.

Depending on how quickly you walk, the pub is about a 10 minute walk from the moorings.

From the pub to Woods yard I’d guess would be about an hour at the speed limits.

8B474C51-FAF5-4EF9-8527-CF98F59521A1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

That's brilliant Mouldy, thank you.  Supreme Light is only 35 ft with bow and stern thrusters so shouldn't pose any problem, we had Sovereign Light last year (44 ft) and negotiated Thurne Dyke with no problem (but it was a cracking day weather wise!!). I've printed the white horse menu and Brenda is well chuffed with it so I think there's already a change to the itinerary! :default_biggrin:

Chris

Edited by CeePee1952
added a sentence

1 hour ago, CeePee1952 said:

Hmmm - I have to admit that I have used the timings from a spreadsheet file that I printed off many years ago. (It's in the downloads section on another Broads forum!). It does state using an average speed of 3.75 mph on the northern part and 4.5 mph on the southern part. :default_icon_e_confused:

Chris

I’ve downloaded various time and distance charts off the internet and mostly find them generous in their cruising times. Mind you, I hate travelling against the tide, so that probably makes a difference. I do use the Aweigh app to check what speed I’m going at though, so I’m pretty sure I haven’t been going faster than I should. 

• Like 1

If the tide is taking you don't worry about the speed limit just watch the rpm and wash, if little wash you are doing no harm and it's safer to have better control than obey the limit, the rangers generally know it and won't bother you, I've been through reedham against the tide way below limit and been glared at by the quay warden and with the tide well over the limit and not an eyelid batted, speed over ground is a pointless limit in fairly strong running tidal areas.

Just make sure you turn into the tide to moor and do it well ahead of bridges, you can always drop to idle (still in forward)and go backwards with good control if the tide is taking you, it's called stemming the tide, you can stop and go forward much quicker and easier too like that or just hold position in the flow with good throttle control.

• Like 4

I am sometimes amused at how pious we have become these days, about keeping our speed to exactly 4.82 MPH over the ground by GPS, so as not to be doing anything wrong.  And all because nowadays, we can download the APP.  So we know exactly what speed we are doing, although the boat doesn't.

Perhaps it is because I grew up when there weren't any speed limits on the Broads, so what mattered was wash.  The whole idea of speed limits is to stop you causing erosion and damage by excessive wash.  There is not really any other reason for them!

Smoggy's post above is exactly right.  I once went up through GY yacht station with the full flood under me, doing about 11MPH in a 5MPH limit, but only 1300 revs on the engine.  Any less, with a 44ft bathtub and I would have lost steerage way and gone up the bank.  But I was not making a ripple of wash and got a cheery wave from the ranger as went by, as he knew I had been delayed by fog on Breydon.

Look behind you, at your wash.  If you are not making any, then you are not causing any trouble and I very much doubt you would get into any trouble.

• Like 5

I did once get shouted at about my speed on the great ouse, it was from an inspector on their launch with a handheld speed camera coming towards me, I shouted back equally inpolite as I was shouted at!

The concept of both boats moving seemed lost on the idiot.

We got shouted at by a Ranger on our hen party boat (I was a little bit over the limit) we thought he was waving so we waved back and blew kisses, he seemed okay after that  :default_smiley-angelic002:  :default_biggrin:

Good luck with your itinerary CeePee, I hope it all goes to plan and you have a lovely time. Personally, I just sit at the helm and go where the fancy takes me but whatever floats anyone's boat is all good in my book x

• Like 2
  • Haha 1