The 2 W's Afloat In Oct 22

CeePee1952

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

I did once get shouted at about my speed on the great ouse, it was from an inspector on their launch with a handheld speed camera coming towards me, I shouted back equally inpolite as I was shouted at!

The concept of both boats moving seemed lost on the idiot.

This reminds me of a story told to us by a berth holder close to us in Brundall. Apparently he'd got pulled by a  Ranger for speeding and given a ticket which he accepted graciously until the Ranger left which he did apparently at top speed. the receiver of the ticket was not amused and went after him. On catching up with him  he called out to him "Oi, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, Here's your ticket  - Stick it!" he never heard anything more about it.

Carole

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Gracie said:

We got shouted at by a Ranger on our hen party boat (I was a little bit over the limit) we thought he was waving so we waved back and blew kisses, he seemed okay after that  :default_smiley-angelic002:  :default_biggrin:

When you say you were just over the limit on a hen party boat, was that speed, alcohol or both?  Just asking?? :default_eusa_dance:

• Haha 4

Well that's one change to the itinerary!  Table booked for 6.30 at the White Horse at Upton on Friday 22nd Oct 22. We've never been down Upton dyke before let alone visited the pub, so it will make a nice change for our last evening on the boat. We've crossed Breydon a few times over the years both in small and large boats so I'm not too worried about it apart from any adverse weather conditions that might prevent us from crossing on the Sunday morning! If the weather looks iffy on the Saturday, I'll give the yacht station at Gt Yarmouth a quick call on the Saturday afternoon and take their advice. Can you tell we're both getting more excited? :default_biggrin:

Chris

• Like 3

H - 20 hrs!!  Provisions for the week bought and sorted into appropriate collapsible crates.  Beer/koppaburg/prosecco sorted and in another crate :default_biggrin: appropriate clothing sorted and packed into huge soft travel bag. camera/video camera/binos/charging leads packed. kitchen sundries sorted and in crate. toiletries packed. odds and ends - packed!

Pooch to kennels first thing in the morning, return home, take out dog guard etc, pack car and off we go! (Kennels is only 20 mins away and we will be there at 0900 when they open). Envisage a couple of hours (ish) to PH notwithstanding any traffic problems.

If anyone is out and about over the next week keep an eye out for a HW Supreme Light with a couple on board. (I noticed the other Supreme Light left HW this afternoon with two couples on board!)

Chris

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I love this countdown business! :default_biggrin:

Shame pooch can't come! Mind you, I might change my mind in December when we'll have two pooches on board for the first time. 

Unfortunately pooch is a 38 kg GSD and loves water!  I'm not sure who would enjoy the holiday more :default_rofl:Nah, it's holiday time for us and pooch will enjoy her week in the kennels - the kennel staff love her to bits anyway and she gets spoilt something rotten when she goes there!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Well we made it! Full write up will most probably appear after our week afloat! Now moored up at Stracey Arms where we arrived about 1630 hrs. Spag bol is on and garlic flatbread in the oven! Phoned Yarmouth yacht station earlier and they advised leaving here at 7.30 tomorrow morning to cross Brendon. 

Chris and Brenda 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, SwanR said:

Guessing you should be underway right now then. Looks like a glorious morning. Have a lovely time. 

Lol 😂 set off from Stracey arms at 0725 hrs this morning and arrived at Beccles yacht station at 1250 hrs after an uneventful but pleasant cruise. Weather has been brilliant so far! Paid £12 for overnight stay and had to buy £2 worth of electric on one of their cards as the wireless ones don’t work here!!! Cost of electric is 50p per kilowatt!! Did a bit of tiddler bashing while Brenda took a walk up to the church and lit candles for her late mum and dad. Now sorting out our on board dinner of Chinese flavoured pork steaks, red cabbage and carrot and swede mash.

Chris and Brenda 

• Like 7

Spoke too soon!! Just started raining!! Oh well at least we’re moored up and snug on the boat!

Question (and apologies for the short notice!) can anyone recommend a decent restaurant at or within a short walk of Oulton Broads? Many thanks :default_drinks:

Chris

3 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

Lol 😂 set off from Stracey arms at 0725 hrs this morning and arrived at Beccles yacht station at 1250 hrs after an uneventful but pleasant cruise

That sounds like a good trip. Beccles is lovely.

Beccles church is lovely. Hope your wife as able to visit to light her candles. I try to do that in memory of our departed parents too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

Spoke too soon!! Just started raining!! Oh well at least we’re moored up and snug on the boat!

Aye, it is a little bit damp right now :default_biggrin:

2 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

Question (and apologies for the short notice!) can anyone recommend a decent restaurant at or within a short walk of Oulton Broads? Many thanks :default_drinks:

I was gonna say the Copper Smokehouse but having had a quick google I think it is closed on a Monday :default_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

That was a bit of a damp night! Complete change in the weather from what we’ve experienced so far and it looks like this morning won’t be much better! Despite that, we both had a good nights sleep and Brenda woke up this morning, one year older bless her! So, could be another change to our itinerary again! Plan A was to poodle up to Oulton Broad and overnight there. However, I can’t find a suitable/recommended place to eat this evening. What we’re thinking is taking a cruise up to Oulton Broad then returning here for another night and eating at Prezzos in Beccles. That thought might change though!!

Chris and Brenda

• Like 2

Don’t know the rest of your proposed itinerary, but you could do worse that going to Loddon and have a meal at The White Horse, Chedgrave.  I’d say try The New Inn at Rockland, but I’m not sure if their kitchen is open on Monday.  It might be worth a phone call to find out, but both serve good food and both moorings have electric hook up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

That was a bit of a damp night! Complete change in the weather from what we’ve experienced so far and it looks like this morning won’t be much better! Despite that, we both had a good nights sleep and Brenda woke up this morning, one year older bless her! So, could be another change to our itinerary again! Plan A was to poodle up to Oulton Broad and overnight there. However, I can’t find a suitable/recommended place to eat this evening. What we’re thinking is taking a cruise up to Oulton Broad then returning here for another night and eating at Prezzos in Beccles. That thought might change though!!

Chris and Brenda

You could try the third crossing about 5 min walk from the yacht station 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Malcolm. Loddon  is on our itinerary for tomorrow night. We’re trying to cruise with the tide and Rockland would mean us going against it if we went today. We’re thinking now of staying here in Beccles and cruising to Loddon tomorrow as planned and giving Oulton Broad a miss. (This is what cruising on the Broads is all about - indecisiveness :default_biggrin:

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, LizG said:

Do what the Nogs might do catch a train somewhere?

Lol nah! Decided to stay another night here in Beccles and now table booked for tonight at Prezzos (we both love Italian food!). Raining as I type so Brenda doing what women do and washing her hair etc and I’m going to chuck a float in and try and catch a shark :default_fishing1::default_rofl:

Chris

Thanks for the tips guys. We cook our own breakfasts (more fun) and tonight we’re in Prezzos. Weather brightened up after a lunch and we’ve had a pleasant afternoon fishing. Guess who caught the most - not me!! But I did catch a few decent bream of around the pound, pound and a half mark! Still quiet here, total of 8 boats including us so far. Last boat in moored next to us is a Broom Captain (White Heron 1).

Chris

• Like 2