The 2 W's Afloat In Oct 22

CeePee1952

Day 4 of 7.  Woke up to a very misty start at Beccles this morning. Had to delay leaving until 9 ish to allow the morning sun to burn most of the mist off. It’s been a beautiful day again and we arrived at Loddon quay at  1230. Quite an interesting afternoon (details will be included in my post holiday report after we get home). Decided on a takeaway meal this evening and we went to Lims fish and chip shop. Spoke to Yarmouth yacht station this afternoon and they advised leaving here between 9 and 9.30 tomorrow morning to make passage under Vauxhall bridge about 12 ish. Not quite sure where will end up tomorrow evening! 

Chris and Brenda

• Like 6

Day 5 of 7.  After a decent nights sleep at Loddon, we set off at 9 this morning in order to pass under Vauxhall bridge around 12 ish as advised by great Yarmouth yacht station. This time Brenda helmed all the way along the Chet (first time for her) and took to it like a pro, even passing an oncoming boat! Once on the Yare it was a steady cruise, slowing down only for the Reedham ferry to cross over in front of us and then on to Breydon at about 1115 ish. Not many other boats going in the same direction today and it was a bit “lumpy” on the way over! Vauxhall bridge was a good 18” above us when we passed under it and then onwards towards Acle. Acle was a bit full on the BA free moorings so we decided (as you do at the last minute) to cruise on to Thurne Dyke. Got here about 3.15 ish and moored up on the left hand bank near the mouth of the Dyke. Another perfect mooring, helped by the wind! It’s now nearly 5.30 and boats are still arriving!! Tea tonight is a fry up on board- not visiting the Lion this time! Initial plan for tomorrow is visit Ranworth Broad for a poodle around and then up to Stalham for the night! (That’s another change to the itinerary :default_rofl:).

As always, more in depth details will follow after the holiday!

Chris and Brenda

• Like 3

Just a heads up for those who don’t know. Mooring fee at Thurne Dyke is now £7.50 (not £6 as stated on their website) if paid before 6pm and £10 if they have to come to your boat after 6 pm! They no longer come to your boat before 6p.m.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ha ha! We had already planned our evening meal on board last night (which was excellent). After most of the day spent cruising we just wanted to relax last night. I did visit the Lion but only to pay the mooring fee. I did notice there were only two people in there though! Anyway, another fun day in store methinks and if the weather forecast is correct, could be a wet one!! :default_biggrin:

Chris

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

Ha ha! We had already planned our evening meal on board last night (which was excellent). After most of the day spent cruising we just wanted to relax last night. I did visit the Lion but only to pay the mooring fee. I did notice there were only two people in there though! Anyway, another fun day in store methinks and if the weather forecast is correct, could be a wet one!! :default_biggrin:

Chris

Just checked with my Willy (weather app) and it does appear that a band of sometimes heavy rain will cross the region today, but it should become drier later.  Hope the precipitation doesn’t dampen things too much!  Have a good day!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

Thurne Dyke this morning at 8 a.m.

image.thumb.jpeg.5a3a87c6fd4c8bd8af0c822aa9ba77b2.jpeg

Chris 

Have many boats left or has it been that quiet overnight?  We had a week on our boat last October and struggled to find space to moor there.  It looks as if financial pressures are already adversely affecting businesses, which isn’t  good news for the area.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Have many boats left or has it been that quiet overnight?  We had a week on our boat last October and struggled to find space to moor there.  It looks as if financial pressures are already adversely affecting businesses, which isn’t  good news for the area.

Nope! It’s been like that since 6pm last night! 

Chris

54 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

I did visit the Lion but only to pay the mooring fee.

What!! You go into a pub and not think "well as I'm here I may as well..." :default_icon_e_surprised:

44 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Just checked with my Willy

It's an age thing, it's probably still there just not as functional as it used to be.

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, LizG said:

Half term weeks start this weekend. Herts next week, Cardiff area week after..  very wet today me thinks?

Think it could be but we’re well prepared for wet weather and will put our wet weather gear on before leaving here (we always use the upper helm no matter what the weather chucks at us!).

Chris

• Like 1

It gets even worse you know, you going into the pub to pay the mooring fee and not, at least, having just the one :default_biggrin:

I hope Brenda enjoyed her birthday 

You both have a fantastic last few days whatever the weather. Oh and by the way, next year when you run your itinerary by us I'm going to tell you to scrap it :default_biggrin: x

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We’ve sort of followed the itinerary (ish!) :default_rofl:now moored up at Ranworth (4th slot up from the taxi rank). Like Piccadilly Circus with boats coming and going like London buses!! Hooked up to shore power, there was only 2p left on the meter (miserable gits :default_biggrin:) and topped up with water. Started raining on the way here and still raining! Mobile signal (EE) is bit weak. Soon be lunchtime!

Chris

• Like 2

Yuk! It's hammering it down! I've managed to link my laptop to my moby using it as a hotspot, so much easier to type on a laptop keyboard than using the phone :default_smile:.  So, soup and bread for lunch on board and then breaded cod, new potatoes and green beans and parsley sauce on board tonight.  Brenda has her Koppaburg or Prosecco for tonight and I've got my good ol' supply of Carling :default_biggrin:. Somehow I don't think we'll be moving from here today :default_sad:

Chris

• Like 4

We have the pleasure of mooring up at the side of Chris and Brenda at Ranworth tonight. Great talking to you both (.......before it chucked it down with rain!). Busy as always at Ranworth.

PS: make sure you try Upton dyke tomorrow (as per your itinerary !) ........ you'll be fine :default_beerchug:

Steve, Tracy & Cody (the dog)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Karizma said:

We have the pleasure of mooring up at the side of Chris and Brenda at Ranworth tonight. Great talking to you both (.......before it chucked it down with rain!). Busy as always at Ranworth.

PS: make sure you try Upton dyke tomorrow (as per your itinerary !) ........ you'll be fine :default_beerchug:

Steve, Tracy & Cody (the dog)

It was the pennant that caught my eye when you moored up next to us! :default_biggrin: Lovely to have met you both and Cody (what a cracking dog!). Just sorting our evening meal out on board.  I've managed to convince Brenda that Upton Dyke will be a breeze :default_rofl:

Chris

• Like 1

So, after leaving Ranworth at 10 this morning, we had a gentle cruise up to Wroxham before turning round and coming back down to negotiate Upton Dyke. We arrived at the Dyke at 2.35 and now moored up at the end. Guys from the yacht place have said they’ve got a few boats going out later and they will help in turning our boat round once they’ve gone.

image.thumb.jpeg.183915b0f4ec02f040ea8f61d02e00ac.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a9bb31fffed202d4e7e52746cbab24d1.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

“Hookedup to shore power, there was only 2p left on the meter (miserable gits )”

Well, you got your moneys worth, every meter was empty when we arrived earlier. 

Crikey! I left 63p on our meter! If I’d known you were coming, we would have given you our mooring and hookup! :default_biggrin: (I’ve a feeling that the NBD boat in the taxi rank may have plugged into ours when we left cos I noticed that they had used their pounds worth from last night!).

Chris

• Like 1