Potter Bridge Closed To Road Traffic

Meantime

I think you will find that toilet lights are set by automatic movement sensors. I seem to recall in the dim and distant past when I worked in Canary Wharf the overhead lights in even the large open plan offices, had sensors on them and if you fell asleep out of sheer boredom, your set of lights would go out. The sudden start as you then fell off the chair was enough movement to light them up again! Either that or when your feet fell off the desk!!

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

If people want to stop and look over a narrow bridge with traffic then they will learn a good lesson from being run over, it was built for traffic (albeit horse drawn stuff) and you can get a better view from beside it. :default_biggrin:

However and above all else, The Highway Code has been updated, more specifically the Hierarchy of road users. Top of that Hierarchy are pedestrians, followed by cyclists. Traffic should approach the bridge at an appropriate speed and be prepared to give way to more vulnerable road users. There was never any excuse for not giving a pedestrian space on the bridge, now the Highway Code is on their side as well.

Why can they do a Foot Bridge alongside other Heigham similar to the Herbert Woods Foot Bridge crossing?

Simple easy answer - Cost and who would be paying for it.

Same reason it is unlikely that the bridge won't be moved to another location and put out to pasture (More's the pity)

Griff

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Just seen on FB that the bridge has reopened to pedestrian and road traffic with a 7.5 tonne weight limit imposed.

What was the weight limit prior to closure?

I wonder whether the repairs had to wait for the new financial year as they hadn't been budgeted for in last financial year?

51 minutes ago, LizG said:

What was the weight limit prior to closure?

I wonder whether the repairs had to wait for the new financial year as they hadn't been budgeted for in last financial year?

The only vehicles with a gross weight over 7.5 tonnes allowed over the bridge moving forward are emergency vehicles.  Buses are now prohibited.