Potter Bridge Closed To Road Traffic

Meantime

21 hours ago, marshman said:

Well - it would help if all boats had grey water tanks and people didn't insist on showering so often!!!!!!

It would also help avoid droughts as soon as the sun comes out! Back in the 1970s (I think) there was great competition between the gas companies and electrics, both wanting us to use their product. I wish I could find the old advert which declared that a 3 minute electric shower uses a third of the amount of water than a bath. 

And all you grown ups smoked in the office. And there wasn't much deodorant about then either! :default_badday:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So the Bridge is still closed after two months.

I walked over it yesterday and looked at the hole. It's not massive but clearly you wouldn't want it to get any worse and just filling it probably isn't the answer.

What do we think the likelihood is that the bridge stays shut to traffic permanently?

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

It should remain a pedestrian bridge only , there is no need for traffic to use this bridge because of the other bridge.

I wouldn't disagree, but I wonder what effect that would have on trade for the businesses.

In the short term I suspect not a great deal, but over time the passing trade which drives past Lathams and the boatyards isn't going to be there and people will come from Ludham and up onto the A149 by the Falgate and never venture into the village.

There will still be a lot of people in the caravan park and using Herbert Woods who will use it, but regular punters aren't likely to know it's there.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I spotted this poster attached to the fencing by the bridge this afternoon.
FB6C08EB-E066-45E5-B191-E99FD8E50B24.thumb.jpeg.a04ce222dd8c9ebea8c0cc7ff2876fcf.jpeg

And then when I was in the chippie the flood warden came in (Paul, for anyone who might know him) and he and the owner were talking about the meeting. 
The meeting’s been arranged by both Potter and Repps communities. 
All welcome on the night, so if you live close by or are visiting your boat and have an opinion one way or another, you can voice it.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2023 at 20:19, kpnut said:

The meeting’s been arranged by both Potter and Repps communities. 
All welcome on the night, so if you live close by or are visiting your boat and have an opinion one way or another, you can voice it.

Did any members attend this meeting? Is there any news of it?

12 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Did any members attend this meeting? Is there any news of it?

I read something on FB - if I remember rightly, it was on the Reform the BA Group, if you can access it.  I’d better not reproduce it.  I remember what happened last time! 

• 4 weeks later...

I see on the EDP website this morning that the parish council intend to carry out a survey of the local people, to see whether the bridge should be closed to road traffic and maintained simply for pedestrians.

As it is already closed to everything except what one might call "pedestrian" river traffic, one wonders how, in future, all the expense of maintaining it can justified.

12 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

one wonders how, in future, all the expense of maintaining it can justified.

Given it's Grade 2 listed, I would have thought that the Council have an obligation to maintain it.  Although boaters view it as a obstacle, I'm sure lots of other people appreciate the bridge for what it is.

Just seen on a FB page that Potter Bridge will be closed to all traffic, including pedestrians from Monday to Wednesday (inclusive) this coming week, but will be open to vehicular traffic from Thursday with a 7.5 tonne weight limit in place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, SwanR said:

It really would have made sense to keep it traffic-free given the lack of safe pedestrian crossing.

They only need to alter the sequencing on the traffic lights to allow additional time for pedestrians to cross, as they do at pelican crossings.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mouldy said:

They only need to alter the sequencing on the traffic lights to allow additional time for pedestrians to cross, as they do at pelican crossings.  

That's a good idea, Malcom. I seem to remember the lights haven't been set like that before, it's always been a dash across to stay safe.

35 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I can’t see how they could possibly set a time that would be safe. How do you take account of all ages and groups of people and the disabled. Not to mention people wanting to stop and look over. 

How do you set a time at a pelican crossing for people of all abilities to cross safely?