Potter Bridge Closed To Road Traffic

Meantime

Forum members may appreciate that any closure to navigation at Potter Bridge. temporary, short-term, long-term or permanent will have disastrous consequences for the future liability of the 100 or so Martham and Repps riverside bungalows particularly, as they are non-mains drainage-connected properties wholly dependent on the services of TBMC/RDS and Louise for cesspit emptying.

In my capacity as Chairman of Thurne Bungalows Management Company Limited, I have been in communication with English Heritage, Norfolk County Council Highways and the Broads Authority to explain to these organisations the importance of guaranteed navigation under Potter bridge. Highways usefully explained that our perceived problem didn't exist because "a diversion was in place."  Seriously? You couldn't make it up! :default_biggrin:

The BA response was more helpful and, because of this, I quote it in full below:

"Dear Mr Sanford

Thank you for your query received through our website.

We are aware of the highways issues with the road surface on Potter Heigham Bridge. At the time this was reported Rangers were asked to check the underside of the centre span of the bridge. They determined no visible defect so there was no need to close the bridge to navigators.

Since then the relevant parties have been investigating further into the defects within the road surface.

Part of this involved divers checking the bridge abutments and the side spans of the bridge. The navigation was only closed while the divers were actually in the water and vessels were allowed through under the instruction of the dive safety team so my understanding is that the bridge was restricted navigation for that day and not a whole day closure.

The maintenance of the bridge is the responsibility of NCC and English Heritage. Neither of these organisations will be able to close the bridge to navigation without the approval of the Navigation Authority which is the Broads Authority. We have not been asked to close the bridge to navigation although that may be necessary for short periods if the repairs require it to be. Should this be required then a Notice to Mariners would give details of the closure periods and advance notice. We have not had any information yet about any temporary short term closures needed.

Should there be any discussion about permanent closure to navigation, which I believe is unlikely to happen, then we are aware of the needs of both boaters and bungalow owners which would be taken into account. In this very unlikely event we will involve all interested parties in any discussion about the way forward. There has been no suggestion so far of any closure of navigation through the bridge permanently.

I hope this reassures you and gives you what information we have at this time.

Regards

Andy Ellson

Senior Ranger"

I am obliged to declare a personal interest in this matter. We own a riverside bungalow above Potter Heigham bridge and I have two day boats and a motor cruiser -  "Broadland Swift" - moored at the property, none of which would I want to see "marooned" above the bridge long-term

Expilot

• Like 5
  • Thanks 11

Hi Griff

TBMC/RDS can manage to continue servicing all the 100 or so bungalows above the bridge with weekly domestic refuse collection and cesspit emptying.

Domestic refuse collected from properties below the bridge could be collected weekly by a suitable open 30 foot (max) boat and hand-balled, as now, to the waiting NNDC/Serco bin lorry on Potter Staithe.

It is the collection of semi-septic waste from cesspits that is much more troublesome. Louise was designed specifically to pump the black water waste from the cesspits direct to Louise's holding tanks and then transport it to TBMC's effluent discharge point at PH53 from whence it is pumped up to Anglian Water's mains drainage system.

Again, a suitable vessel with a couple of IBCs aboard could collect the sewage using the Company's portable stand-by trash pump, but, having collected 2,000 litres of the stuff (the contents of two full cesspits) it isn't easy to see where the effluent could then be discharged.  Yes a tanker could collect the effluent, but at the height of the season, TBMC/RDS collects, transports and discharges anything up to 26,000 litres on her two-days-per-week collection days. That's a lot of travelling time for the boat and a very long waiting time for a tanker - plus all of the extra costs involved, all of which are borne by the bungalow owners in receipt of such service.

It falls to TBMC's Directors, its managing agent and our out-sourced service provider, RDS, to come up with contingency arrangements. Wish us well!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Anyone know where I can get hold of some Cordtex or Semtex? :default_norty:

Griff

May have missed your opportunity in the 60s.

When they were demolishing the old railway bridge workers came across some dynamite from WW2 still attached to the bridge.

If they had only transferred that a couple of hundred yards downstream . . .

• Haha 2

On 19/01/2023 at 13:58, marshman said:

Vaughan - you would certainly notice a Norfolk Hawker!! They are pretty rare these days but are, on average, about twice the size of a dainty damselfly!!

At rest damselflies fold their wings back along their body whilst dragonflies leave their much larger wings outstretched. A Norfolk Hawker is generally all brown and has a wingspan of around 10cm - however unless you look at one in detail there are other Hawkers it can be confused with. Dainty they are not though!

One I caught in Thurne circa 20 years ago, not intentionally but the little chunk of its wing missing is where it collided with and hooked my windscreen wiper, fortunately it wasn’t raining. Sadly it was unable to take flight again though and so it came to pass to my collection of curios, great for the little ones to take into school on wildlife day, does scare some people even in its embalmed state.

Seems to fit mm’s description (almost to the millimetre).

EFD5C0B7-B189-4F5B-B9B5-F49746E560A9.jpeg

• Like 2

Under the levelling up scheme £millions has been given to a project in Morecambe to build a tourist attraction which doesn't even exist yet. Also another few quid to Dover to "improve efficiency". This was levelling up Round 2 and the window for applications was last year between mid July and August.

Would there be a case for funding to improve and restore the Broads for the greater use of tourism? I mean things like this bridge (and possibly others?), improving access, dredging etc to control/maintain river levels. Include the Walsham/Dilham canal too. Get it done as an investment for the future. 

My alarm will go off in a minute... oh forgot, I just retired. I'll carry on dreaming then.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Any funding would most likely be a drop in the North Sea, not enough people live here and it seems to be doled out on a per capita basis, that said if pigs flew and the sea level were to drop as a result...

Stranger things have happened. It's a very strange time we are living in. If someone put in a good application and someone else thought it would get them votes, you never know. However, if no-one asks the question then we will definitely know the Broads will have missed an opportunity.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ray said:

Great Yarmouth has received a significant amount from this round of the so called "Levelling Up" fund. It's for a regeneration plan that actually looks pretty good (so far)

Not a surprise given its densely populated compared to the Norfolk Broads, the real surprise would be if anyone can pinpoint previous grant funded regeneration projects executed in GY which either met the predicated ambition or are indeed really noticeable (without being pointed out). Outer Harbour? The cynic in me says the money will get spent (offered/grabbed) but it won't make a measurable difference to many folk, and no one will notice it a year or two down the line, expect perhaps a few who may gain significantly. Appreciate this is bordering on political so for the avoidance of doubt I've no sway on that front.

1 hour ago, Turnoar said:

Not a surprise given its densely populated compared to the Norfolk Broads, the real surprise would be if anyone can pinpoint previous grant funded regeneration projects executed in GY which either met the predicated ambition or are indeed really noticeable (without being pointed out). Outer Harbour? The cynic in me says the money will get spent (offered/grabbed) but it won't make a measurable difference to many folk, and no one will notice it a year or two down the line, expect perhaps a few who may gain significantly. Appreciate this is bordering on political so for the avoidance of doubt I've no sway on that front.

Problem is Turnoar.

Just how many people's will benefit from the removal of that blooming bridge.

Not many.

Only folks like me who have an airdraft of less than the bypass bridge.

That excludes an awful lot of boats.

In fact it only benefits boats that were actually designed to fit under that blooming monstrosity in the first place 😣

• Like 4

So at least the Broads Society have got something to say for a change.

Closing the bridge would put a lot more pressure on the crossroads on Station Rd and make it dangerous, so it would need the cost of a roundabout for safety. Just like there should be on that awful junction at Tescos in Stalham.

• Like 6