Closure Of Horning Marshes Moorings

9 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Anyone fancy the job in January? I was happy in the air conditioned drawing office thanks.

Goes with the territory, surely.  You know what you’re doing when to take the job.  It’s no good accepting a job at a sewage works if you don’t like the smell, so it follows that if your job entails working in inclement weather, you just get on with it.

• Like 5

Part of these moorings have been taped off for quite a while now so it hasn't  just happened. Every time I go past I think to myself  this should be sorted out before the season starts but now it seems there's a whole lot more to sort out and it doesn't  seem that long ago when  it was all done.

My observations and thoughts too

Griff

Has anyone tried to get anything actually done lately,

So far in the last 3 weeks I have been let down by a marine workshop, an upholsterers, both had 8 weeks notice.

A solicitor who has had since november to sort out 4 lease extensions and another solicitor who has taken 3 1/2 years to sort out a basic error they made in a transaction.

Try getting someone to do work on a property, even with my contacts, you are looking at months, not weeks.

Tradespeople have full order books and some materials are still difficult to source.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

On 15/04/2023 at 08:06, Vaughan said:

I think that is fair comment, since there are now so few public moorings.  I have often had to mud weight on Barton Broad on a trip back from the south rivers, since there was not one space available all the way from Stokesby to How Hill.  And that is in the "off" season.

Not that I mind Barton Broad, of course!

100_3525.thumb.jpg.39eec7c5d7e921e41908b864008dc6f9.jpg

Is the end of this rainbow at BA Headquarters? I assume they have found the magical pot of gold which is 13% bigger than last year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 15/04/2023 at 04:17, Vaughan said:

They were what your rhond anchors were for! 

What size and how many rhond anchors do they now supply with the latest slab sided 45ft floating monoliths?

Speaking of which I was surprised at just how many mooring posts were missing all over the moorings. 

Perhaps time for the BA to re-evaluate the size and strength of the posts needed to stop some of these monstrosities from breaking the posts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Meantime said:

Speaking of which I was surprised at just how many mooring posts were missing all over the moorings. 

We moored at the bridge earlier today, on our way back down The Ant to get rid of some rubbish.  I too was disappointed to see that the spaces on the shop side, that will have to serve the shops and pub during the works on the opposite bank, were missing several posts.  I can well imagine the chaos that will inevitably occur as novice crews heading downriver, unfamiliar with rhond anchors and their use, try to moor with nothing to tie to.

B180A45A-B45A-4135-830C-99F4EA778BE3.jpeg

3C4EA003-A0F3-42BB-865D-0D5817BE8CD8.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve worked in civil engineering and on ditching contracts. 
To be fair, materials cost and availability are atrocious and simply stockpiles for the next job almost impossible. 
from experience, slight damage on the surface may only be an indication to hollowing out under the sheeting and an in-depth look may be needed. 
water still flows through the ground and has force that can do great damage. Unfortunately as been noted, work left won’t get any better but very much worse. 
How many gangs does the BA employ?

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I too was disappointed to see that the spaces on the shop side, that will have to serve the shops and pub during the works on the opposite bank, were missing several posts

I suppose that because that bank of the river isn’t run by the BA it wouldn’t really be taken into consideration when they plan their work. On the shops side, some of the space is taken up by the Nancy Oldfield Trust who have two boats worth of mooring reserved for them by the landowner. 
Your pictures show a real dearth of posts. I haven’t walked along there for quite a while and didn’t realise it had got quite so gappy. 

1 hour ago, Cheesey69 said:

Seen many taken by over enthusiastic throttle arm wrestling with the bow or stern ropes still attached. 

😁an apt description, but so many and all in one place??? Maybe it was a group of like-minded boaters all setting off together😂

17 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We moored at the bridge earlier today, on our way back down The Ant to get rid of some rubbish.  I too was disappointed to see that the spaces on the shop side, that will have to serve the shops and pub during the works on the opposite bank, were missing several posts.  I can well imagine the chaos that will inevitably occur as novice crews heading downriver, unfamiliar with rhond anchors and their use, try to moor with nothing to tie to.

B180A45A-B45A-4135-830C-99F4EA778BE3.jpeg

3C4EA003-A0F3-42BB-865D-0D5817BE8CD8.jpeg

I just realised  that you got my boat  moored in the background.

32 minutes ago, garryn said:

I just realised  that you got my boat  moored in the background.

I was just coming out of the shop when you walked past with your dog, but the penny didn’t drop immediately!  My wife was there with our Staffie, Harley, who couldn’t be bothered to get up and investigate.  It was only when I thought about it that I remembered being introduced last year at Womack Dyke when you were there talking to Lulu (Sam) and Graham.  Please don’t be offended when I say that it was your hound and not you that I recognised!:default_coat:

The moorings on the downstream side approaching Ludham Bridge (where the mooring posts are missing) - forgive me if I am incorrect - but I don't think these are Broads Authority leased/maintained as I don't remember there being a 'Broads Authority Sign' on this bank. Therefore, if I am correct, this is up to the land owner (perhaps the Environment Agency/Shop?) to replace the mooring posts and maintain the moorings.

8 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

The moorings on the downstream side approaching Ludham Bridge (where the mooring posts are missing) - forgive me if I am incorrect - but I don't think these are Broads Authority leased/maintained as I don't remember there being a 'Broads Authority Sign' on this bank. Therefore, if I am correct, this is up to the land owner (perhaps the Environment Agency/Shop?) to replace the mooring posts and maintain the moorings.

Could well be, however with the future of the shop and surrounding buildings down for redevelopment, I wonder who will invest in the upkeep of the moorings.  I thought that planning permission had already been granted for the redevelopment to take place.