Closure Of Horning Marshes Moorings

Just seen this on the Blessed Authority’s website.  I suppose it couldn’t have been done over the winter, when hirefleets aren’t out and moorings aren’t at a premium.  I suppose they know what they’re doing!

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/boating-news/temporary-closure-horning-marshes-24hr-mooring-due-to-maintenance-works

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

"I suppose they know what they’re doing!"

Oh that I could have such faith!

Difficult to express an opinion with one’s tongue firmly in one’s cheek on here! 😉

32 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

It makes one wonder if Dr Packman actually wants the Broads to be a boating holiday destination. 

I don’t think he does.  He can achieve full NP status and the issue of replacing diesel engined boats will no longer be an issue.

• Like 2

Given the BA normally try to do the bulk of quay heading renewal during the winter months, my guess is that this repair job wasn’t forecast. Maybe the quay heading got damaged? In other areas of the Broads the repair would probably have to wait, for instance there was an area of Hardley Cross moorings taped off for quite a while last year or the previous year. Given how popular the Ludham Bridge moorings are, I don’t suppose it would wash if they just taped off the dodgy section over the whole summer.

Lets just be glad they are fixing it.

I agree that the Ranworth charge is way out of order, but let’s not start BA bashing again at the least thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Given the BA normally try to do the bulk of quay heading renewal during the winter months, my guess is that this repair job wasn’t forecast. Maybe the quay heading got damaged? In other areas of the Broads the repair would probably have to wait, for instance there was an area of Hardley Cross moorings taped off for quite a while last year or the previous year. Given how popular the Ludham Bridge moorings are, I don’t suppose it would wash if they just taped off the dodgy section over the whole summer.

Lets just be glad they are fixing it.

I agree that the Ranworth charge is way out of order, but let’s not start BA bashing again at the least thing. 

135 metres of quay heading is a lot to have become damaged over the winter, in my opinion obviously and the major difference between these moorings and Hardley Cross is the number of businesses that are near Ludham Bridge and dependent on seasonal visitor trade.  The works in progress may cause the river to be too narrow and impact moorings on the opposite bank, further impacting potential trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mouldy said:

135 metres of quay heading is a lot to have become damaged over the winter, in my opinion obviously and the major difference between these moorings and Hardley Cross is the number of businesses that are near Ludham Bridge and dependent on seasonal visitor trade.  The works in progress may cause the river to be too narrow and impact moorings on the opposite bank, further impacting potential trade.

Yes, I’m expecting it to be chaotic! At least it doesn’t look that near the bridge.

Thank your lucky stars you’ll miss the works Malcolm…at least on MS.

I was also thinking they normally give more notice, so I suspect these works weren’t anticipated.

• Like 1

I sorry but I don't trust them.All there moorings  should have been checked over winter.As I said just a few weeks into the busy season  and this happens.If you go back three weeks,there was hardly any boats about.Perhaps instead of putting up new signs and posing by phone boxes.They should of checked the site of moorings. 

• Like 4

For 135 metres of mooring to suddenly need work or replacing is beyond belief. Just what is ging on? The Neatishead job has, I believe, overun. It looks like someone has taken their eye off the ball and JP needs to get a grip or let someone that can do the job takeover.

• Like 4

Part of these moorings have been taped off for quite a while now so it hasn't  just happened. Every time I go past I think to myself  this should be sorted out before the season starts but now it seems there's a whole lot more to sort out and it doesn't  seem that long ago when  it was all done.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, garryn said:

Part of these moorings have been taped off for quite a while now so it hasn't  just happened. Every time I go past I think to myself  this should be sorted out before the season starts but now it seems there's a whole lot more to sort out and it doesn't  seem that long ago when  it was all done.

Pretty sure about a 2 boat length section was taped off last Autumn / late Summer, a small section is still taped off now. 

1 hour ago, garryn said:

Part of these moorings have been taped off for quite a while now so it hasn't  just happened. Every time I go past I think to myself  this should be sorted out before the season starts

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

Pretty sure about a 2 boat length section was taped off last Autumn / late Summer, a small section is still taped off now. 

You both beat me to it. There’s been tape there for ages. 

8 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

It makes one wonder if Dr Packman actually wants the Broads to be a boating holiday destination. 

It depends what type of destination and for whom?

Ramblers, paddle boards and canoes don't need made up moorings, or dredging.  All part of the "National Park" mentality, I fear.

Of course, "in my day" all these moorings such as Ludham Bridge, St Benets, Acle Bridge and Stracey Arms, were just grass banks, with a pathway along the top of the bank.  They were what your rhond anchors were for! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Of course, "in my day" all these moorings such as Ludham Bridge, St Benets, Acle Bridge and Stracey Arms, were just grass banks, with a pathway along the top of the bank.  They were what your rhond anchors were for! 

We had one trip to the Broads in the 90s and that’s our recollection too. In this last ten years of boating north and south we’ve not used them once. 

• Like 2

I seem to recall that bank works were late at St Benet’s last year, causing a considerable length of the moorings there to be closed for the early part of ‘the season.’  Obviously, like Hardley Cross, no businesses were directly adversely affected, but it did deprive boaters of available moorings during what was a busy season.

I suspect that Grendel is correct and the team that did Neatishead is the same one programmed to repair this one. There appears to be a good stretch above the bridge that remains available, assuming the map is correct, albeit part of this stretch is designated for rag and stick removal. Hopefully work can be completed on schedule and well before it gets really busy in the school holidays.

I don't think it is realistic to expect all maintenance work to be undertaken out of season. Landscape projects always take longer (and consequently cost more) in the wet and mud of winter.

Neatishead is a favourite of ours but as most of us will have experienced, is really tight to get up or down the channel between moored boats, particularly if some of those are the newer, slightly wider beamed variety.....I just hope this has been taken into consideration when the new quay heading was installed and the channel width is at least the same.....and maybe even a little bit wider?

I live in hope!

• Like 2

Now we live here,and through  winter we see most of the broads.We see many of the moorings.Believe me very little work was done over winter.Surely they should have a costed list of works agreed in the Autumn ,ready  for the busy season.Things can happen that wasn't planned,that acceptable.To have large parts of moorings unavailable in such a busy part of the broads us not on.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

To have large parts of moorings unavailable in such a busy part of the broads us not on.

I think that is fair comment, since there are now so few public moorings.  I have often had to mud weight on Barton Broad on a trip back from the south rivers, since there was not one space available all the way from Stokesby to How Hill.  And that is in the "off" season.

Not that I mind Barton Broad, of course!

100_3525.thumb.jpg.39eec7c5d7e921e41908b864008dc6f9.jpg

• Like 1

An attempt at a bit of perspective:

Aren't quay headings for boats? So why repair them if you're agenda is to get rid of boats?

In the big scheme of things how long will it be before they need repairing/replacing after this? Is it really therefore, that much of an inconvenience?

Anyone fancy the job in January? I was happy in the air conditioned drawing office thanks.