Paddle Boarders

Wussername

6 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Bringing in Tolls for paddle boarders which does exist already but needs to be enforced will sort out a few, if you are tolled you then need insurance.     

except you dont need insurance on a paddle board -

"

either an annual toll or a short visit toll

third party insurance (except unpowered vessels with a block area of less than 6m2)

a valid boat safety certificate (for vessels within the scope of the scheme, not required for short visit toll)

Charges are based on square metre area and go up as the area increases. The amount they increase by depends on the different type of craft."

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/owning-a-boat/tolls

16 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I regard paddle boards as the bicycles of the rivers and they should be treated as the same ,

I think this is a very good analogy and don't forget that cyclists also, don't need reg. numbers or insurance, despite the number of accidents that they, themselves, are to blame for.  In fact cyclists, don't even pay a toll!

Surely there are easily enough BA rangers patrolling in season, to enforce no-go areas for paddle boards once they are defined.  It just needs the authority to face up to the reality and take positive steps.  Or perhaps, as usual, we should just sit and wait for the first fatality, blame the boatyards (as the easiest target) and enforce yet more over-bearing legislation.

By the way, I thought we weren't allowed to swim in the Broads rivers, for safety reasons.  Are paddle boarders exempt from that rule as well?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

By the way, I thought we weren't allowed to swim in the Broads rivers, for safety reasons.  Are paddle boarders exempt from that rule as well?

I think for safety reasons if you fall in, then swimming is allowed, otherwise you would have many more people drowning after accidental immersion.

" sorry you must immediately stop swimming as thats not allowed"

mind you most places on the broads you could technically be walking on the bottom, not swimming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grendel said:

I think for safety reasons if you fall in, then swimming is allowed,

Naturally but if you fall in, you have not done it deliberately.

You set off on a paddle board in the almost certain knowledge that you will end up in the water.  In fact you probably want to, as part of the fun of it.

If you put me on one of those things I am damn' sure I would be straight off it, into the drink.

So in that case, would my "accident" be classified by the BA as a "drowning near miss"?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Naturally but if you fall in, you have not done it deliberately.

You set off on a paddle board in the almost certain knowledge that you will end up in the water.  In fact you probably want to, as part of the fun of it.

If you put me on one of those things I am damn' sure I would be straight off it, into the drink.

So in that case, would my "accident" be classified by the BA as a "drowning near miss"?

Done it half a dozen times now, including at a very choppy Salcombe, and not fallen in yet !

Everyone is entitled to use our rivers as they see fit but I am in total support of no go areas, not to spoil it for paddle boarders but for their own safety as well as that of helms

I truly hope not but fully expect a tragedy to happen before something is done to protect them and people start blaming boaters and the boat yards

I get tired of seeing social media videos and posts of bad helmsmanship and hire yards getting a load of slack for it, how about the hundreds of times you see someone handling a boat beautifully.

Although I may be accused of being a snowflake, safety is paramount especially for the amount of children on paddle boards who have not had enough experience or tutoring x

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I dont, mind you i have not progressed beyond sitting yet, so the only thing I expect is a wet bum, I have only entered the water from the paddleboard once- and that was deliberately, while the paddle board was tied to the boat to ensure that remounting was indeed possible (I know my limitations, so always test these things before there is an emergency, to ensure I have a way of exiting the water if that becomes necessary.)

I have been told I swim like a fish, unfortunately its true, I have negative bouyancy, however I did just miss out on the school record for underwater swimming at 55m, only beaten by someone with the surname Salmon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

If you put me on one of those things

To be more precise, I should have said "if you crane me onto one of those things in a sling".

My joke about BA statistics is more serious, however, as this is how they end up with all their lists of accidents and near accidents every year.  The term "drowning near miss" when you fall in, is theirs not mine and sure enough, it gets listed in statistics.

They got "caught out" for this one year, when it was found that they were listing capsizes during dinghy races on Wroxham Broad as near drowning accidents.  Despite the provision, by the sailing club, of two rescue boats.

It has been said many times before that water is dangerous stuff. Take it for granted and it will turn and bite you on the bum. 

Should we really have to rely on various authorities to think up legislation to protect us from our own recklessness. Personally I think not. 

A careful and  considerate paddleboarder will be a safe paddleboarder, and would be a welcome addition to any waterway. (I believe the same can be said of cyclists)

I ask this next question as I'm interested in the boating fraternities views.

A pedestrian is encouraged to walk along a road, facing the oncoming traffic.  Should a paddleboarder treat river traffic in the same way?

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I thought we weren't allowed to swim in the Broads rivers,

Where exactly is that in the bylaws? It's just advice same as all the BA can do is advise paddleboarders to find somewhere quieter and safer, it's tidal water and no actual licenced vehicle/craft is involved so we have to be trusted with our own survival instincts.

The fact is life is not safe and never will be, lets stop trying to legislate against the freedoms that make it worth living.

I was only ever a fairly poor to average swimmer and not actually tried for about 30 years but you will still rarely see me in a lifejacket, it's my choice and my problem if it goes wrong.

Just now, MauriceMynah said:

A pedestrian is encouraged to walk along a road, facing the oncoming traffic.  Should a paddleboarder treat river traffic in the same way?

I would say no as the speed difference is completely different, you have very little time to get out of the way of a hurtling car but boats take a lot longer to approach.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

To answer that seriously, I would say that a pedestrian on a road is not a vehicle (which a bicycle is) so I suggest that a paddle board on a river is a vessel, like any other and should keep to the right.

Next step, is to educate the paddle boarders as to which side is the right.

My grandchildren all learnt to PB on the broads, four hours of tuition each. They have had two sessions after this and only got wet once, as part of their first lesson to show they could get back on the board.

A few weeks ago we took them up above Coltishall. I ended up in a canoe ( never again ).  It was beautiful there but very busy.

They would be safer on the Yare down as far as Brundall rather than at Wroxham below the bridge purely because of the number of boats and the concentration of new helms.

They choose the quieter areas.

We never hear too many complaints that boaters have to give way to sail, what is the problem with SUP.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I've always taken that as give way to anything unpowered if safe to do so, if it means going into very shallow water then they are out of luck mind you.

On the great Ouse there are lots of swimmers,paddle boarders,canoeists etc etc,

I’ve  no problem with any of them.(even day boats)

for the most part I know where the are likely to be,I take my time,keep a good look out and stop /hold station where needed.

as regards recommended places and no go areas,be careful what you wish for as it’s more likely to be boats that are restricted.:default_blink:

• Like 5

Having no go areas for paddle boards on the broads is making me me smile. Have you ever thought you may be looking at this from the wrong perspective. Can you imagine the uproar on here if there were more no go areas for motor cruisers so that row boats, paddle boards, swimmers, wind surfers blah, blah, could use the rivers free of all of the danger. Live and let live is what I say.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

Having no go areas for paddle boards on the broads is making me me smile. Have you ever thought you may be looking at this from the wrong perspective. Can you imagine the uproar on here if there were more no go areas for motor cruisers so that row boats, paddle boards, swimmers, wind surfers blah, blah, could use the rivers free of all of the danger. Live and let live is what I say.

If that were so , no one would be paying to maintain the Broads.

• Like 1