Good Or Bad Year?

Hylander

my abiding memory of driving through wales was driving through the horseshoe pass late one night (having driven up from kent after work), on the way to do a viking show at one of the castles, we were in a hired minibus that was full, (of people and gear) one of the passengers was already complaining of the swaying as we rounded the corners, and I then spotted random bricks in the road, it was as though someone had been sitting in the back of a pickup tossing them out one after another, of course the swerving to avoid hitting the bricks brought on another round of complaints from the passenger, we carried this on for about 3 miles (with added corners) until the person dumping the bricks had obviously run out. the other was the sheep standing on the edge of the road, for all intents and purposes the reflection of their eyes was just like the cats eyes in the road, that took a bit of concentration to stay on the road.

1 hour ago, ExSurveyor said:

I did Tryfan one November, it was cold and bleak, the coldest I have ever felt. Realy didn't enjoy it 🥶

Hmm, Tryfan is another one I avoid. If you’ve lived any time in North Wales you’ll be familiar with the reported accidents/fatalities. Yr Wyddfa is the worst, with Tryfan coming up close second. This isn’t based on statistics, just my impression from following North Wales news. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Hmm, Tryfan is another one I avoid. If you’ve lived any time in North Wales you’ll be familiar with the reported accidents/fatalities. Yr Wyddfa is the worst, with Tryfan coming up close second. This isn’t based on statistics, just my impression from following North Wales news. 

And as part of our retirement there is a bucket list with (ready....) Yr Wyddfa on it. :default_icon_liar: It says Snowdon.

But I'm having second thoughts now as I would like to return from the place alive with all my limbs in place. Is it safe to visit the Blaenau Ffestiniog railway or is there a chance that Alec Guiness will blow up one of the bridges as we cross?

I thought the only problem would be the rain. :default_jumelles:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, floydraser said:

And as part of our retirement there is a bucket list with (ready....) Yr Wyddfa on it. :default_icon_liar: It says Snowdon.

But I'm having second thoughts now as I would like to return from the place alive with all my limbs in place. Is it safe to visit the Blaenau Ffestiniog railway or is there a chance that Alec Guiness will blow up one of the bridges as we cross?

I thought the only problem would be the rain. :default_jumelles:

The Welsh Highland Railway is better (in my very humble opinion), passing through the lovely Aberglaslyn Pass, through Beddgelert and along the foothills of Yr Wyddfa to Caernarfon.  We took my late dad (and mum) for a weekend in Wales for his 80th birthday and went up (and down) Yr Wyddfa on the train one day and on the Welsh Highland railway the next.  He was always fascinated by steam and in particular, the Welsh narrow gauge railways and despite the fact the the WHR was still being finished, with the last section still being restored into Porthmadog, found it an interesting journey through wonderful scenery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At some point Graham and I need to rediscover North Wales as nice place to visit. Currently all our visits feel like chores, focussed on helping out his Dad out. In between our visits his home invariably ends up looking like a hoarder’s nightmare. This is the result of his memory loss. Important pieces of Mail used to end up in a pile of junk mail…now his mail gets redirected to Graham. The house still ends up looking like a tip between visits though. He gets an idea in his head to do a little diy job, gets tools out etc. then his mind  passes on to something’s else, so he ends up with random piles of ‘stuff’ strewn about all over the place. He doesn’t throw things out either. In our first big sort out visit we took 18 broken/ worn out mops to the recycling centre. 
:default_badday:
Sorry, this is thread drift on steroids!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If its the rail line from Chester to Holyhead that you want to travel on. You can watch the whole journey from the cab, on the Don Coffey You Tube channel. The Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways are worth the trip as is the Snowdon  Mountain Railway. Another must do is the Llanberis Pass, a cracking drive at the side of Snowdon. If a caravan site is required in the area try Bron Derw farm site at Llanwrst, its a cracker. 

Paul.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, floydraser said:

Snowdon etc for next year but we may grab a couple of days in the caravan near Chester. The mainline railway from Chester to Bangor looks to hug the coast, does anyone know if it's worth the trip?

Yes it's been a bad year by the way....

Having done the Chester to Bangor more times than I can count I would say don't bother, unless you like views of rows and rows of caravans. Bangor to Holyhead is more scenic, especially when the line bends to the south and you get views of the mountains. 

• Thanks 1