Good Or Bad Year?

Hylander

9 hours ago, marshman said:

Riverman -actually there is plenty to do in Wroxham ,and with respect, you can have little imagination! There is a train station you can use to get into Norwich, one of Englands nicest cities,or go the other way and you can get to Cromer or Sheringham the latter which is especially attractive. Wroxham is also the terminus of the Bure Valley railway - get on that and you can get to Aylsham, another attractive little town. There is also a bike facility hire you can use to explore many quiet lanes and some stunning scenery - aha you will say but I expect this all to be free if I have hired a boat. Only in your dreams!

You could also get up of your boat and go into one of the largest model railway exhibitions in Europe - but then you would have to pay for it and whilst you seem to want people to invest and not get any return, is that realistic

Did you you into the Information Centre and ask what you could see? Walk up to Wroxham Barns, a craft centre not too far away? You could also take the opportunity to sail a Victorian pleasure wherry.

It seems that you want people to invest yet your expectation seems to be for free entertainment handed to you on a plate . I am afraid life isn't like that.

There a lot more to do in Hoveton, there's two railway stations, and the model railway exhibition none in Wroxham, there is the Barton house railway in Wroxham. you can cycle or walk to Horning or the RAF Radar Museum https://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/ 

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

not to mention the sheer pleasure of sitting by the bridge watching the world go by with a glass in hand.

Absolutely spot on

I can go to the cinema, the shops, theme parks etc any day of the week. I come to the Broads to live afloat for a week or two on a basic little boat

Look at Jeans lovely little video, that's what it's all about x

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

So basically all the things to do in Wroxham involve getting a big train, a little train, cycling, taking another boat, or walking to get out of Wroxham :default_rofl:

No one yet has mentioned the simple pleasure of walking around Norfolk Marine and working out just how many ways to lighten your wallet.

For me the best bits of Wroxham are sitting outside The Kings Head or The Wroxham Hotel with a pint and watch the world go by, or the cheaper alternative, stand on the foot bridge or enjoy a beverage on board your boat.

Don't forget if you moor in Norwich yacht station there is lots to do such as get a train to Wroxham :default_beerchug:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, riverman said:

Facilities or activities? Anything. Something. A Waveney river style centre for the north. Significantly more moorings and advertising for the amazing powerboating at Oulton Broad. A regatta or paddle board race or something, anything in the middle of Wroxham or Beccles. Food festivals. Beer festivals. Boat festivals. And massively more boat access to our fine city.

Hmmm.  Given that the WRC has been taken over by Tingdene and public moorings have given largely way to brokerage space, other than a swimming pool and a pub, what else does it offer?

There are already regattas held several times a year and there was the annual paddle board race earlier in the summer.  Several pubs hold their own beer festivals.  As others have said, there are plenty of options for other things to do around Wroxham/Hoveton and assuming when you refer to ‘our fine city’ you are talking about Norwich, how much more boat access would you like?  Is there not already a yacht station?

Perhaps niceties such as picnic benches at some moorings would be good, but I do wonder how long they’d last, given the mentality of a certain section of our population.  Rubbish facilities could be better for the tourist, too, but the local council doesn’t think that the tourist pound is worth consideration when allocating their monies.

People go to National Parks for a number of reasons, to climb, to walk, sightsee and generally enjoy their leisure time.  There isn’t a theme park half way up Yr Wyddfa, or in the middle of The Lake District, but people still go.  Does The Broads need more tourist attractions to maintain its popularity?  Personally, I think it’s fine as it is.

• Like 9

It does seem to be almost overlooked that helming a boat is "doing something" it is fun and once you have your hire craft you can do it all over the navigable Norfolk and Suffolk Broads.

It's an activity holiday, would people expect theme parks, shopping outlets and theatres if they booked a trekking/potholing/paragliding holiday?

A few simple things like mooring availability, rubbish collection and wild mooring is all that's needed plus as I mentioned before targeting ads at "outdoor" enthusiasts rather than luxury holiday enthusiasts. 

No one who perfectly legitimately wants a pool, hotel and luxury accommodation will be entirely happy in a toilet the size of a wardrobe during a wet week in England.... that's the reserve of us boaters 🙂

• Like 10

My take on all this is that the Broads is a different, niche holiday. It is meant to be a more basic, simple, slowed-down, back-to-nature vacation. It is not and never will be a mass-market full-on adventure holiday, guaranteed hot weather, with pools, sandy beaches, and nightclubs.

However, what could be done are easy and relatively cheap things to provide simple facilities and to 'pretty-up' some areas.

eg nicely kept picnic areas, with a few more benches, toilets and rubbish facilities - for both boaters and other visitors. Less charged-for moorings, or at least much lower mooring costs so as not to put people off or leaving them feeling ripped off.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a few more home comforts, compared to the Broads of 40 years ago. We have all moved on in what we deem are minimum comfort requirements. We no longer live 6 to a room at home, with one bath that is used once a week, so don't necessarily want that on a boating holiday.

But you do need to accept that it is also not going to be 5 or 6 star luxury either ...

• Like 10

48 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

eg nicely kept picnic areas, with a few more benches, toilets and rubbish facilities - for both boaters and other visitors. Less charged-for moorings, or at least much lower mooring costs so as not to put people off or leaving them feeling ripped off.

In general, I’d agree with everything you say, but mooring charges are a bit of a moot point.  Until the Blessed Authority imposed a charge at Ranworth, no one seemed to complain.  Now, don’t get me wrong, as a toll payer, the fact that it happened is still a source of annoyance, but as long as they don’t come up with any bright ideas about sourcing mooring revenues at other BA ‘free’ moorings, I’ll live with it.

I see so many comments about the cost - £5 for the day and £10 overnight, but is it really that much?  We go to Costa/Nero/Starbucks and think nothing of shelling out £5 for a skinny vanilla latte with an extra shot or £8 for a cold burger from the Golden Arches, yet £5 to moor is extortion?

Mooring at Salhouse has been expensive for years and the island with no access to anywhere, is the same cost.  Ranworth (Goose Poo) Island has been a paid for mooring for as long as I can remember, but no one batted an eyelid at mooring at either of those.  Charges have been imposed at Yarmouth, Norwich, Oulton and Beccles Yacht Stations and we’ve quietly accepted all of them too.  Ranworth, however, seems to have been the straw that broke the donkeys back (as they say).

As I said before, the biggest issue was and still is, the fact that it was a free mooring, but I’ll live with it if I want to moor there, but only during the day.  The only time I moor overnight at Ranworth, is during the winter, when I don’t have to bump fenders with other stern moorers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troyboy said:

We enjoy just meeting people at a mooring. Chewing the fat for half an hour and sometimes spending a couple of hours with people who you click with over a bottle of wine and some nibbles. 

As you say it can be very sociable and spontaneous. The boat is always on the to do list.

Crews could have their own photo competitions between them it keeps you interested in what's around you.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Edited by MargeandParge
Spelling
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Mouldy said:

There isn’t a theme park half way up Yr Wyddfa,

Full marks for using the ‘proper’ name! Having grown up in sight of it, I always thought ‘Snowdon’ was a bit daft. It’s not that often it has snow on it, even in winter.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Definitely not when frosty! It can, and often is, lethal. 

I used to help take year 11 groups from the school where I was Chair of Governors to the outward boand centre near Snowdon. All the activities lead to going up Snowdon at the end of the week, this usually took place in May. One year the school did an extra visit in February for 10 pupils who were looking to join the armed forces, the activities were a lot more robust. Heavy snow came down towards the end of the week.

By chance a group of Gurkhas from Chatham were camping in the centre grounds on a search and rescue course. They offered to shadow our group closely if they wanted to go up. I was volunteered to go with them and two instructors.  I am glad I did it, but only after getting back to base, it was exhausting.

The Gurkhas ruled out the PYG track fortunately. They were excellent guides and motivators. Of the 10 pupils, 9 joined up and had great careers in the forces.

We met up with the Gurkhas a few weeks later when they returned to Chatham and treated them to lots of drinks in their local pub.

I haven't been up a mountain in 15 years but did manage every route up Snowdon, even on the train but that day was the best one ever.

The most rewarding thing with these trips was taking 45 imature 15 year olds to Wales but bringing back 45 young adults who had leant more in a week outdoors than they did in a year in a classroom.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

40 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

The most rewarding thing with these trips was taking 45 imature 15 year olds to Wales but bringing back 45 young adults who had leant more in a week outdoors than they did in a year in a classroom

100% agree. Outdoor pursuit/adventure/activities should be on every school curriculum. Unfortunately massive cuts have taken place due to many things -budget constraints, the perceived need for cramming maths and English and the ‘academic’ subjects into the kids to the detriment of their all round education, the paperwork required by staff who lead the trips, the legal responsibility on the staff who can end up being held personally responsible for incidents. 
I’m pretty certain I wouldn’t have the confidence to own a boat and take her out on my own without all those types of character forming/confidence building and self discipline motivating activity as a youngster and I’m pleased I was able to give back to society by leading expeditions etc when I became a teacher. 

• Like 2

The Duke of Edinburgh scheme is in most schools locally, it helps but isn't a substitute for a good week long outdoor adventure.

I always noticed the girls gained far more from the trips and became more outgoing.

We disguised the trips as geography field trips and accepted all pupils even if it wasn't one of their options.

The staff were mainly from the PE department, they could at least keep up with the youngsters 😁

The Kent Mountain Centre at Llanberis became a victim of KCC cuts when all subsidies were removed and it became unaffordable, very short sighted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just about the best trip we did up Yr Wyddfa was with the boys when thy were teenagers, and it involved a very early start. It was early August and we were staying as usual with grandparents in Holyhead. We got them up about 3.30am. They fell asleep again in the car as we drove across Anglesey and made our way to Llanberis. The first half hour or so of our walk up ‘Snowdon’ was by moonlight. It soon got light and we got to the peak before 8, so had the peak almost to ourselves. The views as we made our way up the mountain shortly after dawn were spectacular.

Rather than walk back down to Llanberis, we did the Pyg track down to Pen-y-pass, where we had a hearty breakfast before catching the bus back to Llanberis.

One of those perfect mornings.

I’m pretty sure we all went for an afternoon snooze though. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

We disguised the trips as geography field trips and accepted all pupils even if it wasn't one of their options.

We did too and also at the school my mum taught at. They used to walk over the pyranneas (sorry about the spelling, too early!) every year. 
Geogrsphy field trips were what I lived for at school. First one we were based at Slimbridge youth hostel and that introduced me to a whole new world of being independent and mobile on my own two legs. Slimbridge was also great as it had the wetland centre and that ignited an interested in ecology that has stayed with me and formed part of my career. 

So you are completely right to say that council cutbacks in the respect of outdoor centres etc are completely shortsighted. 
I noticed at Barton Turf that the sailing centre there has a sign on the gate saying owned by Hertfordshire LEA, but I very much doubt it is now. At least the facility still does run courses etc though, and probably open to all rather than just children from one county. 

9 hours ago, grendel said:

lost cause, I doubt many of us would even make the foothills, I certainly wouldnt. (thats why we love the broads, they are generally flat.

There are other peaks. I’ve given up on Yr wyddfa, just too touristy. My favourite is Cnicht, not as high and far less risky, but has wonderful views along the coast south and west, and you have a reasonable chance of having the peak all to yourself.