Chinese Mitten Crabs

Hylander

According to Google they are edible and very sort after in China.  Looks like you are just about to start up a new Norfork business MM?  :default_winko:

• Like 1

Invasive plants, and animals, are really not much of a joke for our native species - I guess you all thought there would would have been a spin off trade in cheap fur coats from the coypu and mink! Thank goodness both were "managed" accordingly.

You lot will be the first to complain about the BA if imported weeds start to take hold and choke some of our waterways - back in the day, I was almost able to walk over a dyke choked with parrots feather - and i suspect 15 years on it is still trying to be controlled. Or should we just not bother??

41 minutes ago, marshman said:

Invasive plants, and animals, are really not much of a joke for our native species - I guess you all thought there would would have been a spin off trade in cheap fur coats from the coypu and mink! Thank goodness both were "managed" accordingly.

You lot will be the first to complain about the BA if imported weeds start to take hold and choke some of our waterways - back in the day, I was almost able to walk over a dyke choked with parrots feather - and i suspect 15 years on it is still trying to be controlled. Or should we just not bother??

While I fully agree they have been trying to rid the Thames and lower Lea of them since the 1980s to my knowledge along with signal crayfish.

Fred

Marshman, invasive species may not be a joke, but why does the BA make it so difficult to remove some of them?

The American Signal Crayfish is very good eating but you need a license to take them, and the BA will not issue any.

I would suggest hunting them to extinction then reintroducing the native one if necessary. 

If the mitten crab is also good to eat, same thing.

Not all my witticisms are without merit.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Marshman, invasive species may not be a joke, but why does the BA make it so difficult to remove some of them?

The American Signal Crayfish is very good eating but you need a license to take them, and the BA will not issue any.

I would suggest hunting them to extinction then reintroducing the native one if necessary. 

If the mitten crab is also good to eat, same thing.

Not all my witticisms are without merit.

It is the EA not BA who issue the licenses, and there are strict rules and reasoning behind  there issuing, I don't have the link to hand but the information is available on Google.

Fred

• Like 1

Hi there - yes we have no authority to issue trapping licences for crayfish etc!

Trapping licences are issue by the EA: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/permission-to-trap-crayfish-eels-elvers-salmon-and-sea-trout

Historically I believe they have been tight with issuing licences due to the potential for misidentification leading to harm for our native White-clawed crayfish?

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On the subject of invasive species the only 100% eradication programme I can recall was the removal of Coypus in the 1980s.

One species that i would like to see removed is the Egyptian Goose, an ugly beast that seems to be increasing in numbers every year. I cannot recall seeing these birds in the 1980s when i first visited the Broads.

Splasher

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Happy said:

According to Google they are edible and very sort after in China.  Looks like you are just about to start up a new Norfork business MM?  :default_winko:

I have been to China and trust me they will eat anything and I mean anything (can't find a sick emoji).

I asked one guy why they eat chickens feet, he said they believe the closer to the bone the sweeter the meat :default_blush: I replied HOW MUCH MEAT is there on a chickens foot. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PAULG said:

I have been to China and trust me they will eat anything and I mean anything (can't find a sick emoji).

I asked one guy why they eat chickens feet, he said they believe the closer to the bone the sweeter the meat :default_blush: I replied HOW MUCH MEAT is there on a chickens foot. 

Should have asked a Kentucky colonel the same question he seemed to find some.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Splasher said:

On the subject of invasive species the only 100% eradication programme I can recall was the removal of Coypus in the 1980s.

One species that i would like to see removed is the Egyptian Goose, an ugly beast that seems to be increasing in numbers every year. I cannot recall seeing these birds in the 1980s when i first visited the Broads.

Splasher

Remove the Egyptian Goose or send them all on an Anger Management Course.   They are such bad tempered birds.

Egyptian geese were here in the 60's - my mother, were she alive, would confirm that! She was fascinated by them!!! If they get angry, just tell them they are not proper geese, but I believe, related to the shelduck. Actually surprisingly they don't seem to have increased much despite the fact they seem to breed year round!

I think they may finally have got rid of mink  - certainly non have been trapped for a couple of years or so - this would be a big plus as they took many baby birds. I hope I am not being premature in that call, or talking it up, but they were, or are a nasty predator here in Broadland.

Talking of coypu, but as a lad , hunting them after school was a favourite hobby amongst school boys, to earn a bit of cash!

• Like 2

Has anyone any evidence that the mink have not been eradicated in Broadland? Whilst i know you can never be sure, my believe is that the trapping programme operated by the BA has been very successful.

Has anyone seen one recently?

OK, if it's controversy you want, how about this.

Mink fur is, I'm told, very warm. It doesn't contain any fossil fuels and is, when making coats, very labour intensive. The only downside is that it tends to be worn by posh women who have access to loads of dosh.

Why are such garments frowned upon?

• Like 2

Matron has an 80 year old Beaver lamb fur coat inherited from my mother, it sits in the wardrobe unworn because of zealots who weren't even born when it was made.

I understand the objections to this type of farming now as we have moved on as a society and very few new real fur coats are made. What a complete waste of vintage coats though.

I see it as no different to driving a classic car, it was made, it survives, get over it.

I expect my old 1962 Mercedes would inflame a few of the 'Juice stop oil' brigade if I still had it.

• Like 2