A Ponder.

1 hour ago, Happy said:

but liked her style of shopping!

That’s exactly what Tony does if we go out for a meal. I’ve started having to get him to empty his pockets to prove he’s got his wallet before we go out of the door. I think, at 38 years, he’s lived in Yorkshire too long. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, grendel said:

we would have a meal of pot luck, as invariably the labels had disintegrated so we would get corned beef (easily recognisable tin) from goodness knows what date (maybe even as far back as the war) with peaches instead of peas. 

Reminds me of the time I came to the boat with some Tupperware boxes I’d got out of the freezer at home.
I thought I was having leek and parsnip soup for tea, but it was stewed apple. 

She sounds a real character. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

If your use by date started before July 1958, then you have experienced rationing as the final WW2 rationed item was freed then , that was coal..

Until 4th July 1954 there was still meat rationing..

Until the 1980s cheese production was deliberately limited by HMG, but what was produced not rationed .

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

Until 4th July 1954 there was still meat rationing..

I can just remember the rationing and I have still got my ration card, somewhere in a box.

My mother kept 200 chickens in runs in the wood on the island, with a licence to sell the eggs to the "Min. of Ag. and Fish."

• Like 2

On 03/04/2024 at 18:11, kpnut said:

I thought I was having leek and parsnip soup for tea, but it was stewed apple.

Hands up anyone that hasnt dont something like this.  I know I have.    Thought I had got out some chicken puffs and they turned out to be apple.   Didnt go down well.   I do try now to label things.

• Haha 4

Speaking of Mums mine passed in 2016,  when clearing her house, the third bedroom under the bed we found jar upon jar of jam from the 1970s.    It was good enough to tarmac the road with.    Perhaps we should have kept them and used them to fill the pot holes outside in the road.

• Haha 3

I can just remember when meat came off rationing. my nan, who lived with us, took  me shopping and we stood outside the butchers and she told me to look in the window and pick anything I wanted  and  I could have it. It was a big event. I remember  I chose a lamb chop!

Carole

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hylander said:

Hands up anyone that hasnt dont something like this.  I know I have.    Thought I had got out some chicken puffs and they turned out to be apple.   Didnt go down well.   I do try now to label things.

Gracie - I don't know why you did the "laughing" reaction - that is probably a normal everyday mealtime in your household by the sound of it :default_rofl::default_icon_kiss:

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Gracie - I don't know why you did the "laughing" reaction - that is probably a normal everyday mealtime in your household by the sound of it :default_rofl::default_icon_kiss:

Hu hum!!  Do you like hospital food?     :default_scaredmouse:

• Haha 3

I'll have you know Mr Biker Sir, I could burn a chicken puff with the best of em........and when I found out what a ruddy chicken puff is I'll give it a damn good go thank you very much :default_biggrin: :default_icon_kiss:

Grace x

• Haha 3

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know what chicken puffs are :default_biggrin: I thought maybe they were similar to cheese puffs, but they are a savoury snack, and I cannot for the life of my think why you'd put them in a freezer. :default_coat:

Gracie, I have the perfect oven for you. My boat oven has gone faulty and won't go above gas mark One. Your family would thank me for it, if you want it. :default_rofl:

• Haha 6

On 16/04/2024 at 03:55, Vaughan said:

I can just remember the rationing and I have still got my ration card, somewhere in a box.

My mother kept 200 chickens in runs in the wood on the island, with a licence to sell the eggs to the "Min. of Ag. and Fish."

My great grandparents dads side, kept pigs, so whenever dad visited them ( 50 mile journey, one change of train) a large parcel would return with him to his parents house. 

My friend Rene's mum kept chickens in her garden back in the 50's, but couldn't kill one when the time came. So she carried it down to the local butchers at the bottom of the road, who would do the necessary, and then walk back with the deceased and pluck and prepare it for the pot. Was different in those days, I can't see the local Morrisons butcher welcoming a woman with a live chicken under her arm, asking him to despatch it!

• Like 1
  • Love 1